• Yes, always!
    • Nope, I pay asking price!
    • I negotiate fairly!

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because similar bikes are selling for more, doesnt mean your price is right. I am sorry I am not gonna look at the classifieds to see your ad. Components, overall condition, service history all play a part in asking price.

I no longer do hub classifieds because of the daily repeat of ads. I have resorted to rather just pay more at a store for my sanity.

55 minutes ago, MORNE1102 said:

I feel most people over value second hands bikes generally speaking thus bloating prices. I’m sorry but I bet your 2015 29nr isn’t worth 30k. 

Was my experience as well recently when looking for a second hand bike on the hub, lots of overpriced bikes on here in my biased opinion. Some people asking more than what the bike cost new few years ago.

On the lowballers, I guess if you do it 100 times and it work once it's still worth the effort if you have no shame? 🤷‍♂️

In the same way that a seller can ask whatever price they like for their bike. The buyer can offer any price they want. That’s how an open market works. Don’t take it personally and rather view it as the starting point for the negotiation, because that’s probably what it is.

I definitely prefer a low offer and a conversation than the Is it still available? followed by the ghosting,

13 hours ago, MM said:

I too ask for a better selling price 99% of the time, BUT, defintely won't have the audacity to offer R14k less on a R32k asking price. 😂

People are free to offer what they want and accept what they want.  How is this an audacity thing?  Like how is this even a topic here?  Are you familiar with how supply and demand economics works?  And then naming/shaming businesses and people that you have judged to be too, well, I don't even know what it is that you are trying to expose here.  This smacks of the prevailing and infantile cancel culture that pervades online interaction. 

And yes, I understand irony.

14 hours ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

How are they supposed to sell it for the same price you asked if they offer you your asking price? 💩

I am sure they will be adding a lot of value though ............when they resell it again.

11 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Was my experience as well recently when looking for a second hand bike on the hub, lots of overpriced bikes on here in my biased opinion. Some people asking more than what the bike cost new few years ago.

On the lowballers, I guess if you do it 100 times and it work once it's still worth the effort if you have no shame? 🤷‍♂️

If only the community could communicate with these sellers on an OPEN platform that their pricing is whacked out (If the case) then surely that would be a huge benefit to all ... anyone ever considered this before?

Oh wait. ...... 

13 hours ago, MORNE1102 said:

I feel most people over value second hands bikes generally speaking thus bloating prices. I’m sorry but I bet your 2015 29nr isn’t worth 30k. 

Jis MORNE, hoe lykit my maatjie?

Are you simply grabbing figures and stats out of nowhere and trying to sound clever?

Nowhere did I state anything about a 2015 29er... It's actually a 2005 26er with V-brakes, best technology in the industry.

1 hour ago, PygaSchmyga said:

People are free to offer what they want and accept what they want.  How is this an audacity thing?  Like how is this even a topic here?  Are you familiar with how supply and demand economics works?  And then naming/shaming businesses and people that you have judged to be too, well, I don't even know what it is that you are trying to expose here.  This smacks of the prevailing and infantile cancel culture that pervades online interaction. 

And yes, I understand irony.

Another clever fellow with lot's of priceless input, more valuable than my overpriced bike.

This being community, and this being "chit chat", aren't I free to post a topic such as this one? Are you an administrator or moderator here? For me, I certainly could care less about "cancel culture", for me it was merely a topic I though I'd like to get input from the community...

There was a thread about "my brand new isn't everyone's brand new" - So is that also an infantile attempt at "cancel culture", as you so eloquently put it?

But back to your question/statement... Yes pal... Audacity... I have ethics... for me, it is audacious to offer someone R14k less than a listed price on an item listed for R32k neg.

Go try that at any store out there and see how that pans out - but the anonymity of sitting behind a keyboard and screen turns everyone into the bravest of brave keyboard warrior with the tact of a 22 year old Nigerian Prince scammer it seems. Perhaps the store clerk will then dish out some infantile cancel culture to your face and tell you to get out of his shop.

As for your argument on "Supply and demand" - I certainly understand it, and I feel your point is totally and utterly moot, as the market definitely isn't flooded with bikes in the same condition, with the same specs or year model as the one I have for sale, so I feel my price is fair, considering I paid R30k (excluding shipping), Major service and drivetrain installation, plus the actual drivetrain as well as extras such as 2 sets of grips, and mudguard etc. So my R32k neg, is definitely a good starting point in my opinion, considering the bike looks basically brand new for the most part.

As a recent seller of an older bike priced high I'll chime in.

I got some low ball offers. I knew I had priced it high, but at the time of receiving those lowball offers I wasnt prepared to let it go at the price YET. I knew it would only be worth what someone was willing to pay for it, so waited it out.

The one lowball offer was close to what I was willing to accept at the time, I tried to negotiate the selling price up a bit so that after bikehub pay was factored in I'd get what I was willing to drop to for the bike. Buyer just disappeared.

13 hours ago, Eddy Gordo said:

Just because similar bikes are selling for more, doesnt mean your price is right. I am sorry I am not gonna look at the classifieds to see your ad. Components, overall condition, service history all play a part in asking price.

I no longer do hub classifieds because of the daily repeat of ads. I have resorted to rather just pay more at a store for my sanity.

Again an empty can rattling in the wind... why comment if you don't even have any context as to the item in question? Everything is stated in my add, not going to waste my time entertaining this open drain of a comment to be honest.

Anyhow, I think this thread has served its purpose and I do not want to bicker and get involved in a urination competition with the rattle-can-choir that seems to be lurking in the shadows...

The poll also gives an overall idea of the people who frequent the forums, which seems positive for the most part. 🙂

Thanks for everyone who had something constructive to add.

@The Ouzo - I hear you bud, done replying here now - Don't have the steam to entertain the vampires/trolls. 🤣

Can a moderator please lock this thread?

Edited by MM

8 minutes ago, MM said:

Jis MORNE, hoe lykit my maatjie?

Are you simply grabbing figures and stats out of nowhere and trying to sound clever?

Nowhere did I state anything about a 2015 29er... It's actually a 2005 26er with V-brakes, best technology in the industry.

Another clever fellow with lot's of priceless input, more valuable than my overpriced bike.

This being community, and this being "chit chat", aren't I free to post a topic such as this one? Are you an administrator or moderator here? For me, I certainly could care less about "cancel culture", for me it was merely a topic I though I'd like to get input from the community...

There was a thread about "my brand new isn't everyone's brand new" - So is that also an infantile attempt at "cancel culture", as you so eloquently put it?

But back to your question/statement... Yes pal... Audacity... I have ethics... for me, it is audacious to offer someone R14k less than a listed price on an item listed for R32k neg.

Go try that at any store out there and see how that pans out - but the anonymity of sitting behind a keyboard and screen turns everyone into the bravest of brave keyboard warrior with the tact of a 22 year old Nigerian Prince scammer it seems. Perhaps the store clerk will then dish out some infantile cancel culture to your face and tell you to get out of his shop.

As for your argument on "Supply and demand" - I certainly understand it, and I feel your point is totally and utterly moot, as the market definitely isn't flooded with bikes in the same condition, with the same specs or year model as the one I have for sale, so I feel my price is fair, considering I paid R30k (excluding shipping), Major service and drivetrain installation, plus the actual drivetrain as well as extras such as 2 sets of grips, and mudguard etc. So my R32k neg, is definitely a good starting point in my opinion, considering the bike looks basically brand new for the most part.

So you paid 30k presume secondhand as you had a major service.  Added a few extras grips probably most expensive item as it is first on your list. Now you selling at 32k trying to recover your total cash outlay.