Assaulted by fellow cyclist- Cradle 6 November

Ispeed_V

30 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

This bit in bold is so true, blame it on apartheid, cANCer or whatever….

Sadly I doubt the angry macho dick_head will be brought to justice, his word against the victims.

karma on the other hand has no such boundaries 

hope I’m wrong, will love to read that he has been caught, charged and sentenced.

Thanks SwissVan. I am also praying and hoping that we can track this guy down and that justice will prevail. I know it is a long shot but there is hope. 
As you mentioned, there is a thing called Karma and it will eventually catch up with you.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if possible to reach out to Strava to see if they can provide any info? Other option is for all cyclists in the area at that time to provide Strava info and start a process of elimination. Im really sorry this happened, there is nowhere to hide and the longer he stays quite the worse the repercussions. Chap must be in pure terror watching this unfold and trying to cover it up.

1 hour ago, Harryn said:

He has probably deleted  from strava, and got all his Chinas to do likewise. 
what an absolute shocker. 

@FondTF2 wish you a full and speedy recovery from the assault. 

@Jewbacca you’re showing your age, man. Now you’ve made me also. Wtaf.

@Dexter-morgan I agree with you. This oke must have been juiced. Must have been an Ebiker. A “real” cyclist would not behave like this.

Strava is key here.

Should be able to identify a large group, you then have common points to focus on, people ride together often.

If this guy has managed to convince a whole bunch of riders to private or delete their activity feeds then they are complicit and guilty too.

This story currently involves one piece of crap, the longer the mystery continues the more pieces of crap emerge through their silence.

Just to keep this top of mind.

Thanks for all the support and messages of well wishes. I am really amazed at the traction this has got and the fact that as tarnished as the cycling community is perceived to be, they are banding together to help find this assailant.

We are confident that something will transpire.

Will be going this morning to open the assault case with all the photographic proof etc.

Will also be seeking Trauma Counseling, not only to deal with the what happened, but also in the hope that it may jog some recollection of what the guy looked like etc.

Once again, thank you from myself and my family.

Just as a heads up. Having spoken to Garth from Bidon, he made mention of the fact that he heads up the local community forum. In the event that anyone of you are faced with a similar situation or a problem of any sorts, you can inform him and he will notify all the respective farmers/land owners in the area who will then take action and come to your assistance.

10 hours ago, DuncanCT said:

Maybe contact Strava with a case number requesting evidence? Might be able to provide info of private or deleted?

Contrary to popular belief, companies collecting large amounts of tracking data will never release it for legal purposes. I have dealt with and purchased a lot of mass cellphone tracking data before and the suppliers made us sign contracts allowing us to use it for only for retail research purposes, no law or government enforcement, not even allowed to use the data for projects for government. You just need to go read up on X mode social to know they will not just sell your data anymore. They will sell products derived from your data at a level where it is anonymous and for very refined purposes (where to place a petrol station/mall)

Yes with enough digging in Strava you can potentially identify the guy and get a name. But then you need other evidence to prove it was him. I would reach out to anyonje who may have a camera, dashcam footage or anything in that area. He likely parked somewhere in the area

59 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Contrary to popular belief, companies collecting large amounts of tracking data will never release it for legal purposes. I have dealt with and purchased a lot of mass cellphone tracking data before and the suppliers made us sign contracts allowing us to use it for only for retail research purposes, no law or government enforcement, not even allowed to use the data for projects for government.....

*While I don't know about SA law (although I suspect there will be something similar) - in Europe law enforcement can request any data held by a private company if it pertains to a criminal investigation/danger-to-life/etc.

There is a pretty robust framework in place, while it is mostly used to get data from phone companies (as they are the ones holding data which is requested most) - but it does apply to any company operating in Europe - like Strava for example.

They basically get something similar to a subpoena, which politely requests (forces) the company in question to release the data - doesn't matter if said data is held in another country - there is just slightly more paperwork to get it.

A private citizen cannot request this data though - this is law enforcement-only.

So again - I don't know - but I suspect something similar will be in place for law enforcement here (although good luck getting somebody competent enough to (care enough to) go through with it)

And yes - there is a very good chance that the perp in question isn't on Strava/Garmin/take-your-pick
(however it is likely that at least one person in the group in question is on Strava)

Edited by Pofkat

55 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Contrary to popular belief, companies collecting large amounts of tracking data will never release it for legal purposes. I have dealt with and purchased a lot of mass cellphone tracking data before and the suppliers made us sign contracts allowing us to use it for only for retail research purposes, no law or government enforcement, not even allowed to use the data for projects for government. You just need to go read up on X mode social to know they will not just sell your data anymore. They will sell products derived from your data at a level where it is anonymous and for very refined purposes (where to place a petrol station/mall)

Yes with enough digging in Strava you can potentially identify the guy and get a name. But then you need other evidence to prove it was him. I would reach out to anyonje who may have a camera, dashcam footage or anything in that area. He likely parked somewhere in the area

Legal obligation or for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims

We process data where we have a legal obligation to do so, for example, where we're responding to valid and binding legal process from law enforcement agencies for certain data. See our Privacy Policy, under "Legal Requirements" for more information. In addition, processing may be needed for us to establish, exercise or defend civil or criminal claims in connection with actual or potential litigation including to protect the Strava Services, our property or other legal rights, including those of our members or partners.

https://www.strava.com/legal/legal_bases

Strava seems to make allowances for request from law enforement agencies?

36 minutes ago, DuncanCT said:

Legal obligation or for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims

We process data where we have a legal obligation to do so, for example, where we're responding to valid and binding legal process from law enforcement agencies for certain data. See our Privacy Policy, under "Legal Requirements" for more information. In addition, processing may be needed for us to establish, exercise or defend civil or criminal claims in connection with actual or potential litigation including to protect the Strava Services, our property or other legal rights, including those of our members or partners.

https://www.strava.com/legal/legal_bases

Strava seems to make allowances for request from law enforement agencies?

easy and straight forward in theory... But you will likely need a suspect's name/handle to get someone to sign a warrant, but you need the information from strava to get the name/handle. They will likely not abuse 30 people's right to privacy to catch one person. So while they may share an individual's data for legal reasons if there is enough merit, you probably need to ID that person first.

Chicken and Egg stories...

1 hour ago, dave303e said:

Similar applies to community CCTV footage.  It may only be released to the police, and only with a case number.  Now to find a cop willing to spend days searching footage to find the proof.

We all appreciate our privacy .... but this creates a nice safe bubble for these scoundrels .....

Sad state of affairs.  Hope you heal up quickly & completely.

Consider setting up a Go Fund Me, all proceeds go to the Private Investigator or retired Detective that identifies the individual involved, then forward all information to the SAPS, his family, his employer etc

I'll initiate with a contribution of R1K.  Pls attach the link to GFM.  

11 minutes ago, eraser said:

Sad state of affairs.  Hope you heal up quickly & completely.

Consider setting up a Go Fund Me, all proceeds go to the Private Investigator or retired Detective that identifies the individual involved, then forward all information to the SAPS, his family, his employer etc

I'll initiate with a contribution of R1K.  Pls attach the link to GFM.  

I second this, 2k to the gvp or any info about this POS

If this knob is in hiding as a result of the cycling communities rightfully so hatred towards him, he may even consider stopping all cycling activity. He may in fact be looking to get rid of his bike etc.... just a thought. Be vigilant, he must be found.

21 hours ago, FondTF2 said:

Even if I had of used profanity in asking them to move aside, it still does not condone the action.

i agree profanity doesnt excuse his actions

but strange you dont openly say if you did or didnt use profanity

always 2 sides in my view