Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

5 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

My wife is allowed to visit me daily between 3 - 4. She came Sunday and could not or would not make eye contact. She can't come anymore as there's no one to look after our 3 y.o. then. I am definitely in the dog box at the moment. I reckon I'm gonna have to come up with ingenious ways to make things better. Roses ain't gonna cut it this time round.

Problem is, once you get home, you are going to be a 2nd "baby" for her to look after, all I can say is sterkte ... :).

• Replies 30.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Chadvdw67 said:

Hope you heal up fast @Robbie Stewart

Hearing some of things about wives over here is making me appreciate my wife more and more, my last fairly big injury, that had me on a couch for 3ish weeks, she was the one asking the physio (her boss) when I could go riding again....

Where can I get one of those?  ....  ????

2 hours ago, Long Wheel Base said:

They fly either the B777 or A350 here. Both those planes have MASSIVE engines. The B777 was the first twin to go for those ginormous GE90, it has a very distinct sound when ignition takes place during start, we call it the mating call of the GE90.

That sound is right up there with the noise of a Ferrari V12 in anger and the ludicrous roar of a Lambo. Pure sensory bliss.

Edit - I was disembarking a flight at OR Tambo onto the ramp and a Singapore 777 was starting up. Ooo that deep bass growl into a whine. Sublime.

Edited by Robbie Stewart

On 9/27/2021 at 1:47 PM, Robbie Stewart said:

If anyone insists on lifting the front wheel - finger on the rear brake is key...

That's my take away from this mess.

Manuals and wheelies... belong in show off category and i learnt loooong time ago that i'm useless at showing off  wheeling

If you insist, then try practice on a sports field with soft grass

Sorry to hear of your accident, good luck for your recovery ????

15 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Hope you heal up fast @Robbie Stewart

Hearing some of things about wives over here is making me appreciate my wife more and more, my last fairly big injury, that had me on a couch for 3ish weeks, she was the one asking the physio (her boss) when I could go riding again....

When i fell down an embankment  in dec last year and dislocated my shoulder, and literally burst open my face ( i now look like I was born with a cleft pallet)…my wife was quick to tell the eager beavers in the ER they werent allowed to touch my face….Even though there was blood going everywhere.

im notoriously nonchalant about presenting as half roadkill. She’ll be like, whats wrong…ill be like I fell…shell be like, does it hurt…ill be like well i dont know you tell me…and then continue to present innards or bones or whatever haha.
She got a plastic surgeon to come in on his kids bday and charge me R12k to zip up my face again with 9 or 10 little stiches and 15min of work. Im in the wrong industry for sure.
Funny, the ER doc, the plastic surgeon AND the orthopaedic surgeon all told me the exact same thing with a smile on their face - ‘that they love us mountain bikers’

wonder why?????

In hindsight im not sure if wifey did it for me or for her haha????

19 minutes ago, MORNE said:

When i fell down an embankment  in dec last year and dislocated my shoulder, and literally burst open my face ( i now look like I was born with a cleft pallet)…my wife was quick to tell the eager beavers in the ER they werent allowed to touch my face….Even though there was blood going everywhere.

im notoriously nonchalant about presenting as half roadkill. She’ll be like, whats wrong…ill be like I fell…shell be like, does it hurt…ill be like well i dont know you tell me…and then continue to present innards or bones or whatever haha.
She got a plastic surgeon to come in on his kids bday and charge me R12k to zip up my face again with 9 or 10 little stiches and 15min of work. Im in the wrong industry for sure.
Funny, the ER doc, the plastic surgeon AND the orthopaedic surgeon all told me the exact same thing with a smile on their face - ‘that they love us mountain bikers’

wonder why?????

In hindsight im not sure if wifey did it for me or for her haha????

We definitely line the medical professions wallets very nicely indeed ...  My 2 trips to the hospital this year totaled to about R160k ... ????.

18 hours ago, TheoG said:

We definitely line the medical professions wallets very nicely indeed ...  My 2 trips to the hospital this year totaled to about R160k ... ????.

my ankle was just over 80k

dankie *** vir Discovery

On 9/27/2021 at 11:51 AM, Robbie Stewart said:

I broke the tibia and the fibula and tore some ligaments. How? Lifting the front wheel to high and forgetting to modulate the brake. Stepped off to not land on my unhelmeted pip and POP.

Good luck! Also recently had a knee injury - shredded my meniscus to bits, I knew for a long time it was stuffed (had the same injury in my other knee about 12 years ago), but ignored it, then stepped wrong one day in gym doing a deadlift/row/skipping EMOM combo and tore it to the point where I couldn't put weight on my leg. 

4 weeks post op now, 7 weeks on crutches so far with another 4 weeks to go. Only allowed back on the MTB in April next year. Indoor trainer only from the end of this year. This will be the longest I have not ridden since I started riding.  And I work in a bike shop, so it's not like I can take my mind off riding either!

Fun times. 

The crutches are the worst part. Can literally do nothing. And the timing sucks, my wife is 7 months pregnant and my first kid just started walking. So she is having a rough time of it. Also have 2 very ADHD dogs that have not been taken for a walk in nearly 2 months - they are a treat around the house. 

EDIT: Reading all the comments about hospital fees... this op came in at a total of just under 300k. Thank goodness for medical aid.  

Edited by Grease_Monkey

17 minutes ago, Grease_Monkey said:

Good luck! Also recently had a knee injury - shredded my meniscus to bits, I knew for a long time it was stuffed (had the same injury in my other knee about 12 years ago), but ignored it, then stepped wrong one day in gym doing a deadlift/row/skipping EMOM combo and tore it to the point where I couldn't put weight on my leg. 

4 weeks post op now, 7 weeks on crutches so far with another 4 weeks to go. Only allowed back on the MTB in April next year. Indoor trainer only from the end of this year. This will be the longest I have not ridden since I started riding.  And I work in a bike shop, so it's not like I can take my mind off riding either!

Fun times. 

The crutches are the worst part. Can literally do nothing. And the timing sucks, my wife is 7 months pregnant and my first kid just started walking. So she is having a rough time of it. Also have 2 very ADHD dogs that have not been taken for a walk in nearly 2 months - they are a treat around the house. 

EDIT: Reading all the comments about hospital fees... this op came in at a total of just under 300k. Thank goodness for medical aid.  

DAMN!! Both my meniscus is kinda stuffed, after the acl replacement in the one knee, I decided I gonna wait and see. So far so good, now and again it pains. I just must not fall that bad again!

35 minutes ago, Grease_Monkey said:

Fun times. 

Flip man .. really sorry to hear 

Now I do care, and I have seen your bikes in your garage .... so if you need someone to look after them and take them for rides just let me know :P

Heal up fast, and heal strong ....

2 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

DAMN!! Both my meniscus is kinda stuffed, after the acl replacement in the one knee, I decided I gonna wait and see. So far so good, now and again it pains. I just must not fall that bad again!

Just go to physio and rehab it properly. I have abnormal meniscus which tears easier than usual - so I don't think my case should be treated as too much of a cautionary tale. 

7 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Flip man .. really sorry to hear 

Now I do care, and I have seen your bikes in your garage .... so if you need someone to look after them and take them for rides just let me know :P

Heal up fast, and heal strong ....

Haha yeah, some pretty paper weights in that garage right now!

Thanks man!