Unbound 2024

Stephan

4 hours ago, Kom said:

I have a thought on the huge block Matt and Keegan did in Tucson up to past week --> it was way too much volume and intensity a week before Unbound ... 

I was also wondering about the fatigue from such a massive block of training. Maybe Unbound is not the big goal for the season? 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I'm not being confrontational, but do you really reckon that sitting in Cape Town, you know better than the professional coaches who have access to all numbers, information and plans as well as a known historical relationship with the athlete and how he recovers and how he has thrived in the past?

I'm really interested as it just reminds me of the rugby fans who always know better than the coaches, statisticians and technical directors.

I'd guess the coaching teams and doctors know way more than we do and these things aren't just written up on a whim. But meh, what do I know 

Fair comment. We're not professionals. But it's fun being an armchair critic. It's why we watch sport, as discussing it and giving our uniformed opinions on Monday is part of the fun. Don't spoil our fun with facts, logic and reason. 

5 hours ago, Kom said:

I have a thought on the huge block Matt and Keegan did in Tucson up to past week --> it was way too much volume and intensity a week before Unbound ... 

i have no idea, but what I do read is that Matt was less than 60 seconds - in a NINE PLUS HOUR race - from being in FIFTH position, meaning EIGHT riders finished - nearly together in a 60-second window - again, in a 9-hour race, so in a race of 540 minutes, Matt was 1 minute off of 5th place! AT HIS FIRST ATTEMPT. Impressive!

15 minutes ago, Zebra said:

i have no idea, but what I do read is that Matt was less than 60 seconds - in a NINE PLUS HOUR race - from being in FIFTH position, meaning EIGHT riders finished - nearly together in a 60-second window - again, in a 9-hour race, so in a race of 540 minutes, Matt was 1 minute off of 5th place! AT HIS FIRST ATTEMPT. Impressive!

Second attempt, came 11th last year

2 minutes ago, peetwindhoek said:

Second attempt, came 11th last year

My bad, tx for the correction!

5 hours ago, Kom said:

Good to know it was only a thought. 

2 hours ago, Kom said:

yeah - bonkbros will sort this out for sure - but even then will be speculation.

MB road with DJ for sometime before 2nd group split, moving KS and MB to group 3. I was a tad surprised. (Consider DJ himself just having been off the bike for that throat ulcer thingy he has a week back).

Either my theory holds - too much volume, they were both overtrained, or Unbound just wasnt as important WRT winning future Lifetime events, or the series itself, in which case they used this as a training event.

There is so much I can say here and wont except 

No dude.

Edited by J Wakefield
cause the hub

is there a consolidated highlights of the event somewhere? 

I tried keeping up on the instagram posts but it was terrible and I gave up eventually.

Matt finished 13th? Dylan 10th? thats a big improvement for him and his set up and ideas will clearly start to influence others going forward.

I am interested too understand how the race unfolded.

Re the idea that Matts massive training was the wrong way to go.....

From my own experience there was certainly nothing wrong there. I've used the same strategy with myself and others in the past and it's not going to hurt performance but everyone can have their own opinion I guess. I'm not here to convince anyone either way. The proof is in results.

But sometimes it goes your way, sometimes not. Welcome to sport

5 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

is there a consolidated highlights of the event somewhere? 

I tried keeping up on the instagram posts but it was terrible and I gave up eventually.

Matt finished 13th? Dylan 10th? thats a big improvement for him and his set up and ideas will clearly start to influence others going forward.

I am interested too understand how the race unfolded.

Should be out tomorrow afternoon their time, according to the commentary.

6 hours ago, Kom said:

Matt specifically doubled his volume from what he did leading up to his win for BWR California.

I don't believe a linear volume target based on an event a month later can scale especially for an athlete not having done that before - in my amateur opinion that is ...

JC, stop talking **** here. really. you have zero clue of anything related to what you trying to show you have knowledge on, especially in this post and coupled with your previous posts are showing this. 

5 hours ago, El Duderino said:

I was also wondering about the fatigue from such a massive block of training. Maybe Unbound is not the big goal for the season? 

Don’t wonder too hard. The recovery has to be managed correctly and all will be well with the athlete. Everyone focusses on the big 30hr week and not the recovery period after which is where the gain is banked

For a lot of riders it doesn’t go right on the day, part of the racing. Mohric for example. 
Matt Beers was pragmatic and open about his race. 
https://www.instagram.com/p/C7twBVdsZHF/?igsh=MXFudmh5MDNjd3Rzcg==

Catherine Colyn as well; 

https://www.instagram.com/p/C7tdT58ODQ7/?igsh=eHUzbmFjNWo5d2Vv

Hayley Preen sitting at 9th in the Lifetime rankings going into Unbound.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C7qDwk4uHxY/?igsh=MWVlMjNmeG41bzFyYg==

An honourable mention to our East African cuzzies from Team Amani 

https://www.instagram.com/p/C7s4PQzIAps/?igsh=MzliM3FrOXVpYmFh

Kev Benky taking fourth in the XL event!

IMG_4956.jpeg.1c9ec673d1114054ba84d5f54b7f96be.jpeg

Edited by Danger Dassie

Jeez, to ride for 9+ hours all the time on the pedals like that..Huge respect. Glad for Lachlan and Dylan J. That 10th place was a victory for him. 
9 woman sprinted for the win, 🤯

I'm wondering if it wasn't like a road race in the chasing bunch and the favourites just marked themselves right out of the race?
Lachy probably figured there's a chance of that happening and rolled the dice.