Gravel Burn: New gravel stage race set to launch in October 2025

News bot

48 minutes ago, nathrix said:

Basically any mtb fitted with drop bars can be used if you really wanna go for comfort. Screenshot is from the FAQs IMG_7524.jpeg.046017a217ecd42a9e8c16128018cb47.jpegsection of the gravel burn website

Uh oh 😮 so at least by their definition a gravelbike should have drop bars ... I agree with that but there are some 'ubbers that don't as I recall 🤔

21 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Uh oh 😮 so at least by their definition a gravelbike should have drop bars ... I agree with that but there are some 'ubbers that don't as I recall 🤔

At least you have been consistent on this requirement. 👍

I should know .... you promptly corrected me on my hardtail converstion....  and yes, I agree with you.

I wonder if there is a contractual restriction for the organiser with the previous event that he sold viz drop bars only. Just a thought.

On 10/10/2024 at 10:44 PM, DieselnDust said:

first 5 year it will be run at a loss, followed by a wild increase in pricing an coverleaf courses, CEO's will flock to the new golf, further escalating demand nd appeal and entry costs will soar. Influencers will tell you its money well spent. Absolutely the right time to get this going

Kevin is leaning into the Epic nostalgia to get a buzz going but it doesn't really look like a Epic type event? Seems they are going for the small numbers but high margin luxury event with a little bit of racing thrown in. 

Don't think they are going to bother with the "running 5 years at a loss to make money later" business model, most likely will be expensive and profitable from the start....

Edited by Skubarra

31 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Kevin is leaning into the Epic nostalgia to get a buzz going but it doesn't really look like a Epic type event? Seems they are going for the small numbers but high margin luxury event with a little bit of racing thrown in. 

Don't think they are going to bother with the "running 5 years at a loss to make money later" business model, most likely will be expensive and profitable from the start....

then his timing is bad.

disposable income is becoming a problem globally

On 10/10/2024 at 10:44 PM, DieselnDust said:

first 5 year it will be run at a loss, followed by a wild increase in pricing an coverleaf courses, CEO's will flock to the new golf, further escalating demand nd appeal and entry costs will soar. Influencers will tell you its money well spent. Absolutely the right time to get this going

Plus the US gravel scene will find it and come in droves. It will be like the Epic only 'Merican.

18 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Reckon we'll see some interesting mods, I remember when Dana Coetzee gravel converted his Trek Top Fuel for Race 2 Sun. Drop bars, gravel wheelset and tyres etc. Long before the cool kids were doing it for Leadville 🤓

Will there be a no tent entry option so that i can utilise that saving for air bnb accommodation and put my tush into hyper care for the night?

2 hours ago, Skubarra said:

A group of us were chatting about this over morning coffee today, given the Joburg info event is this evening. 

The Epic leaning is understandable, regardless of any criticism there may be. I mean I doubt anyone would sit on their laurels and not do anything after building something like the Cape Epic and subsequent series.
He and his team created something successful and a global following with Epic. There was a lot of institutional knowledge and innovation that came out of that, anyone with experience in the event will have invaluable skillsets, many have gone on to successful career paths in the sport. 
So having some of those people involved does bring a level of credibility, regardless of the style of the event or it's format.

Some seem to be wholesale buying into the Kool-Aid vibe that this will be a game changer for global gravel. Others are wholly dismissive, and borderline disparaging.

Objectively, IMHO this isn't going to a game changer, it doesn't even have to be and that doesn't seem to be it's goal. But there's a gap for something slightly different experience-wise, which it seems this will do at least and add something to the event calendar.
The costing issue is something else entirely, I suspect it'll be pretty high and budget constrained for many of us, but not Epic high. The two events are wholly incomparable afa riding experiences go though.
Luckily we're also spoilt for choice.

9 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

A group of us were chatting about this over morning coffee today, given the Joburg info event is this evening. 

The Epic leaning is understandable, regardless of any criticism there may be. I mean I doubt anyone would sit on their laurels and not do anything after building something like the Cape Epic and subsequent series.
He and his team created something successful and a global following with Epic. There was a lot of institutional knowledge and innovation that came out of that, anyone with experience in the event will have invaluable skillsets, many have gone on to successful career paths in the sport. 
So having some of those people involved does bring a level of credibility, regardless of the style of the event or it's format.

Some seem to be wholesale buying into the Kool-Aid vibe that this will be a game changer for global gravel. Others are wholly dismissive, and borderline disparaging.

Objectively, IMHO this isn't going to a game changer, it doesn't even have to be and that doesn't seem to be it's goal. But there's a gap for something slightly different experience-wise, which it seems this will do at least and add something to the event calendar.
The costing issue is something else entirely, I suspect it'll be pretty high and budget constrained for many of us, but not Epic high. The two events are wholly incomparable afa riding experiences go though.
Luckily we're also spoilt for choice.

Makes sense - Epic came at a time when there was a massive growth in the sport with mtb'ing exploding. As much as I like gravel riding I don't foresee gravel doing the same thing. Also stage racing is not the novelty it was 20 years ago.

I also get the impression he is trying to do something slightly different without trying to be another game changer.