Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

Sad that this thread is becoming "popular" again!

ADMIN:

This may have already been asked or exists somewhere else...how about having a live map somewhere that links incident reports of either muggings or attacks and displays the location/position with a short mouse-over description such as Date Time Event etc so this can be used when planning rides? Is it possible? It will then give a really good idea of hotspots.....

The PPA have this running

https://pedalpower.org.za/crime-hotspots/

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe one of the savages got robbed of his bike in Claremont this morning.

He stopped at a red Traffic light and two scumbags stepped off the sidewalk, knifes in hand, and robbed him of his bike. He beat a hasty retreat, but they still chased him for a few meters to try and get his phone. He got away unscathed, minus his Cannondale Supersix Evo. 

Moral of the story: Don't stop at red traffic lights, lest you get mugged.

Yup, crazy morning but I am 'ok'. 

Really sorry to hear of this. :( Glad you are physically unharmed. Watch out for the emotional bruises and don't let it scar you.  :) Bikes can be replaced, although it doesn't always feel like that.

Really sorry to hear of this. :( Glad you are physically unharmed. Watch out for the emotional bruises and don't let it scar you. :) Bikes can be replaced, although it doesn't always feel like that.

Sorry to hear that Savage. Hard Lines.

Glad you are unscathed.

I agree with DJR. Don't hesitate to take the trauma counseling offer. I was involved in an car accident last year, brushed it off. Two months later I checked myself into ER with chest pains. Turned out to be anxiety and PTSD driven. Sorted now, but I could have saved some of the hair on this receding hairline of mine.

Thanks! Do all events reported here end up with PPA and on this map?

BTW, I'm going to stay under my bed tomorrow, that map makes it look hectic out there :eek:

not sure how current it is...but the more people use it, the better the data

Sht sorry to hear man. Where in Claremont did this happen?

Glad you’re ok. Out of interest what time did it happen?

Around 6am, would have checked my Garmin but they have it [emoji51]

I was in town from Thursday and was told when I arrived 'don't go over Stanhope bridge in the dark'. Heard there's been a few incidents of runners, walkers and cyclists being attacked. Must be the same guys? Why haven't they been caught yet??

I was in town from Thursday and was told when I arrived 'don't go over Stanhope bridge in the dark'. Heard there's been a few incidents of runners, walkers and cyclists being attacked. Must be the same guys? Why haven't they been caught yet??

because south africa

The police are currently investigating and going after them. They have held up a lady at the ATM and mugged a mother pushing her baby in a pram in the area. 

The police are currently investigating and going after them. They have held up a lady at the ATM and mugged a mother pushing her baby in a pram in the area.

What amazes me. One lady in my running group runs main road and Stanhope early in the morning most days.

I being a male am worried but I run with nothing except my watch and tell my wife what route I am running/ what time she should start worrying.