Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

Yup, crazy morning but I am 'ok'. 

Glad you are okay.   :thumbup:   Hoping the insurance gets you going quickly.

Must say, a few "facts" worries me though ....

- a "roadie" stopping at a robot .... never seen this ....

- a "roadie" having front and back lights on his bike .... NEVER seen this .....

- is Pure Savage a closet-MTBer ...  :eek: 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

- a "roadie" having front and back lights on his bike .... NEVER seen this .....

You should get out of the house more often if you do not see "roadies" do what you mentioned in the first two points  :ph34r:  :whistling: 

Edited by Bateleur1

Once they took my bike then ran after me shouting "Naai him" I also became a runner :P

You can do Mont Ventoux now..no issues, you have trained for it [emoji6]

You laugh, my plan was to take my shoes off and defend myself with my cleats. My T2  skills are pretty poor though.

You laugh, my plan was to take my shoes off and defend myself with my cleats. My T2  skills are pretty poor though.

Ha ha

That time of the morning that's a pretty bleak stretch of road.

You should have moered them with the bike

Hope they catch the bastards.

Remember your helmet is a pretty good defensive weapon as well

Hey guys, it has been a few years since I have ridden the West Coast cycle path and I'd like to venture that way again..

How safe is it to cycle there on weekends? I read an article where they were planning security patrols along this stretch.

Have any incidents occurred recently, specifically in the section from town to Paarden Island?

Hey guys, it has been a few years since I have ridden the West Coast cycle path and I'd like to venture that way again..

How safe is it to cycle there on weekends? I read an article where they were planning security patrols along this stretch.

Have any incidents occurred recently, specifically in the section from town to Paarden Island?

Most riders have now abandoned the stretch through Paarden Eiland, especially the part between the N1 bridge and the city centre The most dangerous part seems to be between The N1 bridge and the Church Street station in Woodstock. Regular muggings and bike jackings happen there. I would not ride it alone anymore, only in a group of fair size. The homeless, vagrant community there has now grown to a pretty large size and the fences are broken everywhere which allows the muggers to come and go easily. Regular patrolling by the Metro police is inconsistent and the City of Cape Town does not seem able to fix the problem. 

If you need to link Blouberg with the City, most now use the West Coast Road / Marine Drive  rather than the cycle lane for that stretch. Just be careful with the traffic and especially the container trucks. Personally, if I am on my own, I now take the car from the Southern Suburbs to Woodbridge Island, park there and ride the cycle lane to Melkbos and back. So beautiful, such a pity the one short stretch defiles the whole route.

The stretch further along towards Blouberg and Melkbos is pretty safe with many people riding it, especially on a weekend day. 

I personally would not ride it by myself on the weekends.

I rode through there on Friday by myself (I was looking for trouble!).

There were 2 law enforcement cars parked up and one drove through past me... but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are armed.

Edited by Andreas_187

Get a MyCiti card and catch the bus between Milnerton and Town or vice versa. You're at the behest of MyCiti schedules though and I feel like a bit of a tool on the bus, but safety first. I'd rather be laughed at than mourned

What I used to do was pass Paarden Eiland and head onto N1, just keep left. The pinch point and the highest risk was going under Church st - I just took Church st off ramp and crossed over Church st then merged back onto N1, just keep left. Never had any close encounters with traffic. Cycle path has claimed too many victims so I would strongly advise to avoid it. Coming back from town is easier on N1, the only place to be careful is passing the Church st off ramp again but check your traffic behind you and also indicate your intention to go straight, traffic at least know where you are going, again never had a problem. Also as you go under Church st just keep as far left and check behind for trucks/busses and time it to pass through without them. The rest is good and your chances are better riding this route. Safe rides and enjoy

Just to add the to talk about the cycle path. About 3 weeks ago I decided to try the cycle path into town (I usually go on the highway), I just started riding again and I used to always take the path.

Just after the Woodstock bridge 3 guys tried to grab me, I luckily got them off me, got back on my bike and sprinted away. My earphone cabled stopped them getting my phone. 

I would not suggest riding on the cycle path, it's not safe at the moment. 

Just to add the to talk about the cycle path. About 3 weeks ago I decided to try the cycle path into town (I usually go on the highway), I just started riding again and I used to always take the path.

Just after the Woodstock bridge 3 guys tried to grab me, I luckily got them off me, got back on my bike and sprinted away. My earphone cabled stopped them getting my phone. 

I cycle weekends/sundays on the N1 from Koeberg road Maitland into town & back the same route, doing it more than a year now and have been safe so far, I ride just off the yellow line and alert,. Been through roadblocks & Metro nor traffic officers have ever stopper me on N1

I saw 5 guys on that banking by the bridge. They looked like trouble but luckily the cops were parked close by. I would say avoid at all costs

I saw 5 guys on that banking by the bridge. They looked like trouble but luckily the cops were parked close by. I would say avoid at all costs

It's scary stuff. Pity we have to choose between getting mugged or dealing with highway traffic.