Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

The other day was riding out of Durbanville towards the Faircape trails. Just before Spes Bona Road on that long straight there were 2 guys walking side by side. What caught my attention was the one guy was constantly watching and looking over his shoulder as I approached. As I got closer they changed their "formation" one went slightly ahead and the one moved over into the road and continued to watch me over his shoulder. I got that uneasy feeling and increased the pace and luckily a bakkie came around the corner.

It might of been nothing but the whole build up looked dodgy and that feeling I got from them says differently.

Every ride is a lottery it seems! 

:-(

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The other day was riding out of Durbanville towards the Faircape trails. Just before Spes Bona Road on that long straight there were 2 guys walking side by side. What caught my attention was the one guy was constantly watching and looking over his shoulder as I approached. As I got closer they changed their "formation" one went slightly ahead and the one moved over into the road and continued to watch me over his shoulder. I got that uneasy feeling and increased the pace and luckily a bakkie came around the corner.

It might of been nothing but the whole build up looked dodgy and that feeling I got from them says differently.

From my experience those intuitions are normally pretty accurate and your evasive action probably saved you from a jacking attempt.

From my experience those intuitions are normally pretty accurate and your evasive action probably saved you from a jacking attempt.

I second that .

If they look back to me every so often while walking , my hier Kom *** sensor goes off . Most times I just turn around and go ride somewhere else .

If it feels dodgy I don't chance it , since I always ride alone

Edited by Twaatie

I second that .

If they look back to me every so often while walking , my hier Kim *** sensor goes off . Most times I just turn around and go ride somewhere else .

If it feels dodgy I don't chance it , since I always ride alone

Absolutely. Instincts have been saving our skins for thousands of years.

Thats the MO and exactly what happened to me. I wouldnt even be surprised if it were the same scumbags. When i decided to move to the other side of the road after getting the same feeling, the back one started chasing me. You were lucky the car was there.

I run alone on the mountain a lot. Often my spidey sensors go off when I see people. I just stop and walk 10m off the path until they pass and I can walk back and keep going.

If they have dodgy intent they will have to follow me off the path where they have no business so I can bolt.

Is there something similar we could do on the bike?

I run alone on the mountain a lot. Often my spidey sensors go off when I see people. I just stop and walk 10m off the path until they pass and I can walk back and keep going.

If they have dodgy intent they will have to follow me off the path where they have no business so I can bolt.

On second thought ... If I have the same situation as last Sunday ..... I would rather turn around and use an alternate route.

Steaming past them worked this time .... had they knocked my handlebar, and possibly a brake lever, it could have ended badly .....

And the way they chased after Morne, the way they landed another gent in hospital two weeks ago (was in the newspapers), these clearly shows these guys are willing to get physical ....

Easy to "plan" what you will do from behind a keyboard .... another story when you are tired from a long ride .... and being outnumbered, it certainly is not wise to opt for an encounter, not when there are other options.

On second thought ... If I have the same situation as last Sunday ..... I would rather turn around and use an alternate route.

Steaming past them worked this time .... had they knocked my handlebar, and possibly a brake lever, it could have ended badly .....

And the way they chased after Morne, the way they landed another gent in hospital two weeks ago (was in the newspapers), these clearly shows these guys are willing to get physical ....

Easy to "plan" what you will do from behind a keyboard .... another story when you are tired from a long ride .... and being outnumbered, it certainly is not wise to opt for an encounter, not when there are other options.

Not quite as easy to achieve, but if they manage to knock you down a couple of gears you'll be stuffed. We used to do it to each other on hill climbs - click click click and its game over. 

Made me think of that video of the snow leopard basically close-lining a mountain goat off a cliff and surviving the fall ????

https://youtu.be/zllX6MAGs9Y

Edited by morneS555

Possible mugging trap/ambush when cycling at Rhodes Mem/Devil's Peak.

Good day all, I was cycling with 3 other guys from Pinelands up past Rhodes Mem around towards the Block house. We were on a Jeep track having a rest watching two of the guys come down the very steep Cape Epic section somewhere below the Block house, While standing there catching our breath one guys spotted a fire across the valley. It looked like a tree was on fire. This was at about 18:30. Without thinking we raced to the scene and proceeded to put out the fire with our water bottles and there was a puddle close by where we could get more water. It was not very big as it must have just been started 5 min ago by a person. The fire was started right next to the path. It had rained the night before and we are not in fire season yet, so that was not arson to burn down the mountain. We couldn't see anyone around that doesn't make sense. The mountain is steep and the bush thick. My personal theory is that it was started to attract our attention. They then hide in the bush. We rush over and dropping our bikes to try put out the fire. Before you know it they are on your bike pointing a knife at you and off they go. Well luckily in our case nothing happened. I think they didn't realise there were 4 of us and we were very vigilant looking for someone that might have started the fire. We didn't just all drop our bikes either.

Anyway this is just a heads up and a warning to not just rush into this type of situation and cycle in groups. Be prepared. I have been mugged before and know how quick it happens. I now carry pepper spray, but as I said these things happen so quick that not much will help.

Stay safe.

Don

Possible mugging trap/ambush when cycling at Rhodes Mem/Devil's Peak. Good day all, I was cycling with 3 other guys from Pinelands up past Rhodes Mem around towards the Block house. We were on a Jeep track having a rest watching two of the guys come down the very steep Cape Epic section somewhere below the Block house, While standing there catching our breath one guys spotted a fire across the valley. It looked like a tree was on fire. This was at about 18:30. Without thinking we raced to the scene and proceeded to put out the fire with our water bottles and there was a puddle close by where we could get more water. It was not very big as it must have just been started 5 min ago by a person. The fire was started right next to the path. It had rained the night before and we are not in fire season yet, so that was not arson to burn down the mountain. We couldn't see anyone around that doesn't make sense. The mountain is steep and the bush thick. My personal theory is that it was started to attract our attention. They then hide in the bush. We rush over and dropping our bikes to try put out the fire. Before you know it they are on your bike pointing a knife at you and off they go. Well luckily in our case nothing happened. I think they didn't realise there were 4 of us and we were very vigilant looking for someone that might have started the fire. We didn't just all drop our bikes either. Anyway this is just a heads up and a warning to not just rush into this type of situation and cycle in groups. Be prepared. I have been mugged before and know how quick it happens. I now carry pepper spray, but as I said these things happen so quick that not much will help. Stay safe.Don

Hope its not linked to your suspicions of guys starting fires but tablemountain on fire now

post-50002-0-04484600-1604171223_thumb.jpg

post-50002-0-98795800-1604171238_thumb.jpg

I just heard from a friend that Pure Savage got mugged/robbed again this morning, bike taken.

I hope you guys are OK.

Edited by Wannabe

I am so sorry to hear this Savages. I hope injuries are not too bad. Truly shaken to hear about this horrific incident. Appalled.

Please confirm if sedan or hatchback. Saw suspicious vehicle just now approaching Ocean View. Vehicle slowed down and occupants watched us closely as they went past. At police station at present