Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

Seen a lot of bike jackings lately, try ride in groups. 

Our group rides are pretty big starting in Claremont now, no chance anybody jumping me at Palmyra junction now!

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah...i'm going with that they all connected. If you crossing the road as a innocent bystander then "run off" in the same direction you initially heading.

Video clearly shows all 3 "perps" running away in the same direction together!

That's a clear and obvious sign of Re-group, Re-Strategize move right there!

Yup, possible, but maim or kill the wrong guy by driving over him on purpose and defend yourself in court.

Personally, if someone tries to run me over like that, I'll also sprint like hell to get away even if I'm innocent.

thats schulphoek road in hermanus/sandbaai - not the smartest place to be on foot or on a bike as the infamous township of zwelihile runs direct down the side of that road just out of camera - thats the direction the perps ran in ..even the cops dont go in there 

lucky if slightly out of his depth cyclist 

Seen a lot of bike jackings lately, try ride in groups. 

Our group rides are pretty big starting in Claremont now, no chance anybody jumping me at Palmyra junction now!

can we get some reliable data on where these are taking place?

please share guys

• 3 weeks later...

Uhm, jaaaa ....

Seems we should add the following address to the list - Sportica Crescent, between SportsmansWarehouse and Santam, heading up the hill towards the Velodrome.

Sunday 25 October 2020, at about 11:30.

I was on my way back home from the trails.  Given the time of day the main roads were busy with vehicles, I then take a range of backroads to minimize my exposure to the traffic.  And so I Bill Bezuidenhout, and into Sportica Crescent.

As I pass the turn to SportsmansWharehouse I note two men walking "away", on the left side pavement.  They were at the end of Mr Price, and well into the start of the climb.

The one looks over his shoulder .... they stop .... mill about .... start walking back towards me .... as I get closer the one tries to wave me down .... they are now both fully focussed on me !

On a standard bike my speed would have been dropping at this point, both due to the hill and the 48km I had already done by this time ...  Thankfully the ebike could be turned to BOOST, and I kept my cadence HIGH .... and a steady 30,5km/h ....

Dont know if they were "innocent" .... or if the speed stopped them from stepping into the road .... either way, glad it all worked out okay.

Uhm, jaaaa ....

Seems we should add the following address to the list - Sportica Crescent, between SportsmansWarehouse and Santam, heading up the hill towards the Velodrome.

I was on my way back home from the trails.  Given the time of day the main roads were busy with vehicles, I then take a range of backroads to minimize my exposure to the traffic.  And so I Bill Bezuidenhout, and into Sportica Crescent.

As I pass the turn to SportsmansWharehouse I note two men walking "away", on the left side pavement.  They were at the end of Mr Price, and well into the start of the climb.

The one looks over his shoulder .... they stop .... mill about .... start walking back towards me .... as I get closer the one tries to wave me down .... they are now both fully focussed on me !

On a standard bike my speed would have been dropping at this point, both due to the hill and the 48km I had already done by this time ...  Thankfully the ebike could be turned to BOOST, and I kept my cadence HIGH .... and a steady 30,5km/h ....

Dont know if they were "innocent" .... or if the speed stopped them from stepping into the road .... either way, glad it all worked out okay.

Nope, they were out to get you. Thats exactly how they got me going up that hill at contermanskloof. They are smart...they know they have a better chance getting you going uphill for obvious reasons. It is getting to a point where you have to limit the times you ride to peak hours if you are alone. At least they waved you down and didn't just start chasing you with a weapon. Ill even drop an e-bike in that scenario. Not worth it.Glad you escaped.

Glad u got away unharmed, i get angry when i hear this man

Get irritated to that many owners seem to think a locked bike on a rack is ok to leave unattended, sad reality but we must be more conscious about the lowlifes out there

Possible mugging trap/ambush when cycling at Rhodes Mem/Devil's Peak.

Good day all, I was cycling with 3 other guys from Pinelands up past Rhodes Mem around towards the Block house. We were on a Jeep track having a rest watching two of the guys come down the very steep Cape Epic section somewhere below the Block house, While standing there catching our breath one guys spotted a fire across the valley. It looked like a tree was on fire. This was at about 18:30. Without thinking we raced to the scene and proceeded to put out the fire with our water bottles and there was a puddle close by where we could get more water. It was not very big as it must have just been started 5 min ago by a person. The fire was started right next to the path. It had rained the night before and we are not in fire season yet, so that was not arson to burn down the mountain. We couldn't see anyone around that doesn't make sense. The mountain is steep and the bush thick. My personal theory is that it was started to attract our attention. They then hide in the bush. We rush over and dropping our bikes to try put out the fire. Before you know it they are on your bike pointing a knife at you and off they go. Well luckily in our case nothing happened. I think they didn't realise there were 4 of us and we were very vigilant looking for someone that might have started the fire. We didn't just all drop our bikes either.

Anyway this is just a heads up and a warning to not just rush into this type of situation and cycle in groups. Be prepared. I have been mugged before and know how quick it happens. I now carry pepper spray, but as I said these things happen so quick that not much will help.

Stay safe.

Don

Possible mugging trap/ambush when cycling at Rhodes Mem/Devil's Peak.

Good day all, I was cycling with 3 other guys from Pinelands up past Rhodes Mem around towards the Block house. We were on a Jeep track having a rest watching two of the guys come down the very steep Cape Epic section somewhere below the Block house, While standing there catching our breath one guys spotted a fire across the valley. It looked like a tree was on fire. This was at about 18:30. Without thinking we raced to the scene and proceeded to put out the fire with our water bottles and there was a puddle close by where we could get more water. It was not very big as it must have just been started 5 min ago by a person. The fire was started right next to the path. It had rained the night before and we are not in fire season yet, so that was not arson to burn down the mountain. We couldn't see anyone around that doesn't make sense. The mountain is steep and the bush thick. My personal theory is that it was started to attract our attention. They then hide in the bush. We rush over and dropping our bikes to try put out the fire. Before you know it they are on your bike pointing a knife at you and off they go. Well luckily in our case nothing happened. I think they didn't realise there were 4 of us and we were very vigilant looking for someone that might have started the fire. We didn't just all drop our bikes either.

Anyway this is just a heads up and a warning to not just rush into this type of situation and cycle in groups. Be prepared. I have been mugged before and know how quick it happens. I now carry pepper spray, but as I said these things happen so quick that not much will help.

Stay safe.

Don

This is my backyard. What I have seen the past few months since lock-down was relaxed, is  that there are many more vagrants and bergies around. On the mountain too. More people out of work, more homeless and sleeping on the mountain. More smoking too. I hope it was nothing more than that, but thanks for the warning, just in case it is a new  trick. The Rhodes Mem area has been pretty safe lately, I hope it isn't about to change again.

Uhm, jaaaa ....

Sheez, I saw this now first time. Glad you're okay. This makes the blood boil. I suppose nowhere is safe riding anymore. That, or it's a simple coin toss if its your turn on the day.

I see so many people riding where MorneS555 got jacked. I have lost confidence as I ride alone. I used to ride from my side in Sunningdale across the N7 and either up Tiekiedraai or left to Conties and Hoogies, and back again, but since the landgrab during lockdown, no more. That place is too sketchy.

This is my backyard. What I have seen the past few months since lock-down was relaxed, is  that there are many more vagrants and bergies around. On the mountain too. More people out of work, more homeless and sleeping on the mountain. More smoking too. I hope it was nothing more than that, but thanks for the warning, just in case it is a new  trick. The Rhodes Mem area has been pretty safe lately, I hope it isn't about to change again.

Rode table mountain Monday to Wednesday this week i noted the was a ranger doing its rounds.

Also twice in last week we've seen him on the mountain, and in the 10 years of it been my daily commute, in the most I've seen the rangers in a space of 2 weeks that I've seen in the 10 years.

...i did remark to my riding mate on Tuesday, that the fact that I'm seeing the ranger so much makes me wonder if there has been reports of suspicious activity, generally what my experiences has been in the past.

Sheez, I saw this now first time. Glad you're okay. This makes the blood boil. I suppose nowhere is safe riding anymore. That, or it's a simple coin toss if its your turn on the day.

I see so many people riding where MorneS555 got jacked. I have lost confidence as I ride alone. I used to ride from my side in Sunningdale across the N7 and either up Tiekiedraai or left to Conties and Hoogies, and back again, but since the landgrab during lockdown, no more. That place is too sketchy.

I firgot to mention then...

My wifes gynie is also a cyclist, when my jacking happened while she was 32 weeks pregnant she obviously got a bit of a fright and had some worrying contractions that day...so we had to phone and mention what had happened. Anyway, he was super miffed when he heard and then told us afterwards he has two cycling friends that were recently attacked on conties just before the crossing at hoogekraal. One was stabbed and another got away with broken ribs...minus all their personal belongings. They didn't take the bikes though. I don't ride there anymore...not since i figured out their glaringly obvious escape routes to dunoon i was previously oblivious to.

I recently got a call from the security comoany that helped me find my bike and the caught the perp again...for exactly the same crime on the same road - what i worried about. Where is that person? Not every cyclist is on the hub to let everyone know.

They are trying to get the useless police to make somthing stick...because he obviously is just getting out again to rinse and repeat.

Rode table mountain Monday to Wednesday this week i noted the was a ranger doing its rounds.

Also twice in last week we've seen him on the mountain, and in the 10 years of it been my daily commute, in the most I've seen the rangers in a space of 2 weeks that I've seen in the 10 years.

...i did remark to my riding mate on Tuesday, that the fact that I'm seeing the ranger so much makes me wonder if there has been reports of suspicious activity, generally what my experiences has been in the past.

Park management have been under a spotlight and are having considerable pressure put on them to up their game by the task teams set up by minister Creasy. It would be nice to think that those groups are having an effect.

The other day was riding out of Durbanville towards the Faircape trails. Just before Spes Bona Road on that long straight there were 2 guys walking side by side. What caught my attention was the one guy was constantly watching and looking over his shoulder as I approached. As I got closer they changed their "formation" one went slightly ahead and the one moved over into the road and continued to watch me over his shoulder. I got that uneasy feeling and increased the pace and luckily a bakkie came around the corner.

It might of been nothing but the whole build up looked dodgy and that feeling I got from them says differently.