• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest notmyname

I have reached the point(I should have reached loooong ago)

Just close my eyes and get a cool VW double cab,,,, it's not a phase it's not going to pass it's time. ANYONE????

Theres two splity specimens Pretoors. One bakkie type and the other is a bus. Both look to be running but need a rebuild. Edited by neilneilneilneilneilâ—‹

11096426_403873843119045_315788281635337

My wifes Oupa has one of these, in purple.

Just collecting dust and rust.

Just needs to be stripped and repainted (another colour). The flat enjine (dont know what they are called) is just as old and STARTS FIRST TRY :eek:.

I want it so bad,  would be so lekker.

Theres two splity specimens Pretoors. One bakkie type and the other is a bus. Both look to be running but need a rebuild.

Pill the beans man!

My wifes Oupa has one of these, in purple.

Just collecting dust and rust.

Just needs to be stripped and repainted (another colour). The flat enjine (dont know what they are called) is just as old and STARTS FIRST TRY :eek:.

I want it so bad,  would be so lekker.

The crew cabs are the very coolest of them all, well perhaps the original Westphalia campers too?

The motor is a flat four Boxer. Same as the Beetles from the time. If you ever restore it, keep the motor so that the original chassis and motor stays together. The value will be greatly enhanced. Resist the temptation to modify, lower, and change it. Perfect original condition restorations have fetched about 1,5 million Rand at auction in the USA. Bastardized ones not. If you want to make it more driveable with a more powerful motor or disk brakes, all that can be done, just keep all your old parts so you can return it to original later. Best power upgrade is an early Porche 911 motor. A later model Beetle or bus flat four is good too. Stick to air cooled. 

Edited by DJR

The crew cabs are the very coolest of them all, well perhaps the original Westphalia campers too?

The motor is a flat four Boxer. Same as the Beetles from the time. If you ever restore it, keep the motor so that the original chassis and motor stays together. The value will be greatly enhanced. Resist the temptation to modify, lower, and change it. Perfect original condition restorations have fetched about 1,5 million Rand at auction in the USA. Bastardized ones not. If you want to make it more driveable with a more powerful motor or disk brakes, all that can be done, just keep all your old parts so you can return it to original later. Best power upgrade is an early Porche 911 motor. A later model Beetle or bus flat four is good too. Stick to air cooled. 

Agreed, though finding one of those with an original engine is like finding gold in the middle of the atlantic. 

Another good motor to put in there is the scooby 2l / 2.5l, and guys have also put audi / vw v6's and GTI motors to get a bit more reliable power out of them.

My choice (long term) at the moment is between one of these:

VW_T3_TriStar.JPG

or one of these:

http://srv2.betterparts.org/images/vw-t3-14.jpg

with this on the back. 

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/JeffK95Z/hitch/P5170290.jpg

Agreed, though finding one of those with an original engine is like finding gold in the middle of the atlantic. 

Another good motor to put in there is the scooby 2l / 2.5l, and guys have also put audi / vw v6's and GTI motors to get a bit more reliable power out of them.

VW_T3_TriStar.JPG

or one of these:

with this on the back. 

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/JeffK95Z/hitch/P5170290.jpg

how are you going to fit that Audi on the back?

VW_T3_TriStar.JPG

or one of these:

with this on the back. 

Damned right I want one of these or the origional shapes