Smoking and Cycling

Slowbee

Talking helps. Telling others you used to stand and chat to while having puff helps. Saying no to those after work drinks with others who smoke knowing that it will put you in temptation also helps. Getting out of the temptation zone until it passes..

Thats my plan anyway

Drinks are the biggest problem, avoiding going for them when I quit helped a lot until it was easier to control.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking helps. Telling others you used to stand and chat to while having puff helps. Saying no to those after work drinks with others who smoke knowing that it will put you in temptation also helps. Getting out of the temptation zone until it passes..

Thats my plan anyway

That definately does. Good luck man. Not only with the smoking but everything. Remember the smoke will not help to improve your situation what so ever. Rather do 10 pushups or whatever.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

After 2 years of not smoking I started again.  :ph34r:  Guess the stress of life to was getting me and started keeping up at night. Cycling never helped as it would only elevate cortisol and left me awake most nights. That led to slow recovery to the point of nearly hanging the bike up. Gave smoking a try, 4 days later I'm back to sleeping like a rock. Cycling feels so much better, everything just makes sense. I must add that I started at 10 and gave up at 33.. Conclusion... smoke vs anti depress, anti anxiety etc... I'll choose smoking every time.

I know it's bad and there's no way of justifying it, but in my case, i think I'm better off with it.

Aiming to quit on the 17th as I finish with work and stress for a month. Plan is to ride and run till I am knackered. Eat and sleep and repeat. Might do the hardcore route that worked for me last time....get absolutely gutted on alcohol so I can't face the smell of a smoke for a few days! Such an easy habit to pick up on again with just a few drags on a smoke in a pub...

I have been smoking for years about 20 my brother quit 2 years ago I only smoke 1 or 2 a day or when drinking which is not that often not at any point saying its good but it keeps my mind and hand occupied while driving in traffic so I am "distracted" from how bad people drive.

Hang in there all who wants to kick the habit. I smoked for 25 years and was gatvol of it. Put them down 6 weeks ago and so far so good. Now and again I feel the need but it's just the habit calling and not the craving. I must say I feel the difference in the lungs on a long climb or when digging deep to keep up with the front of the batch. I can say 6 weeks later "nou trap ek n fiets raak o pal"????

I was smoking socially at an event the other day as everyone was smoking I loved smoking and drinking back in the day. I jumped on the bike yesterday for a short 45km ride and I could feel the difference. 

Don't smoke. It will definitely affect your quality of life if it doesn't kill you! 

• 1 month later...

Giving up smoking was, without any hesitation at all, the most difficult thing I've ever done in my life.  Started during army days in the late 80's and eventually quit for good in December 2015.  As a smoker I ran Comrades, rode the Epic a few times and did some other crazy endurance stuff and never thought that the smokes were affecting my performance (regardless of the event I'm always at the tail-end anyway).

But to you guys that are considering stopping - DO IT!!  I swapped the smokes for those rolls of butterscotch boiled sweets....you need to get past the third day, third week and then the third month....if you get this right you'll be able to convince yourself that you are an ex-smoker.

If you're anything like me you're going to have issues with your temper when the nicotene withdrawal happens - recognise it for what it is and take a frikken chill-pill and relax.  it's just your body freaking out.

Stop smoking - you'll be amazed how much better you'll start feeling.  Your loved ones will like you more because.....you'll probably put on some weight so there'll be more of you to like......but also you wont continually smell like an ashtray....

Good luck...it's worth it, I promise you......