Snakes

Motard660

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you guys are interested in snakes, this is a great page to follow on Facebook... helluva interesting and I've learnt an awful lot just from following it the past year or so. Snake encounters are pretty common in SA and education is paramount... that's a big part of what the page is about. 

Follow it if you can, you won't regret it

https://www.facebook.com/groups/snakesofsouthafrica/

Luckily this isn't your first post. Some guys catch insults for posting for the first time on old threads.....................

First post is irrelevant, however relevance of the topic itself and the post is. Thought this ought to be common sense.

This has been a talking topic among our group for the last few weeks as we have come across a few ( dead ) Rinkhals and Mamba ( he should not be on the highveld ) while out on our trails in the far East Rand . I was in contact with Arno Naude ( a snake guru ) and he is offering a snake awareness course .This is the message i put on our whats app group yesterday and am still awaiting replies .If there is interest in for this i will get Arno to take it further as a project 

As Mtbikers  we often come across snakes . Arno Naude  is offering a snake awareness and basic first aid course . Arno is a leading expert on snakes and lectures at the University of Pretoria . His course is 4 to 5 hours and he will come to the East Rand to do the course on any days chosen by groups . This is a first for Mtbikers  and R600 per person is a good deal . Check him out snakebiteassist.co.za 

A pic of one of the offenders below 

post-111826-0-01722500-1539287568_thumb.jpg

I see Berg Adders often in the gommos behind George, just leave them alone, I like Nyoka’s.

I have seen many Puffies and Cape Cobra’s on my motorcycle travels too.

Edited by Spokey

then how is this post of yours relevant to " Snakes"  then ??

it is relevant to the response to the post on snakes, obviously

I see at least a cobra and a puffy while on Table Mountain and Tokai every year. Never had a problem, just once or twice a moerse skrik, mostly when I wasn't paying attention. Much more worried about them when out training and exercising the dog, but luckily, never had a dog of mine bitten.

There's an app called 'ASI Snakes' which helps with snake identification, first aid guidance, etc. Looks to be quite useful.