Coffee machine

23 hours ago, Frosty said:

Are these two machines the same spec?

727EC113-154D-4A8E-930A-283E40AD855D.jpeg.7d13f20fdfc8cc10137480c45f13f04a.jpeg

Yes. But don't confuse the left one for a RRP. That's your typical overpriced import-commerce sites. Don't know how these sites exist...

Either way, same specs. Smeg just owns the brand now (for better or worse..). Internals are the same AFAIK.

In my brief experience, amazing machine. The attractiveness was the simplicity, involvement and beauty! (and availability in 2nd hand market). They have downsides, but not enough to put me off. This is way different to a one touch, but oh so satisfying to use. I can definitely recommend, but do note that everytime your wife wants a coffee you'll be the one making it.... I would even consider the pro version just for the included gauge and larger tank. Also, Hirsch had a 10% discount on these recently FWIW.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/27/2022 at 10:43 AM, splat said:

I went from our usual coffee and tea mugs straight to Acme.
They are expensive, but robust and should last a long time.

They do need to be warmed up before you make your coffee in there, as they are thick and will suck the heat out if you start from cold.

20 hours ago, cadenceblur said:

Acme all the way.

Nice colors

Robust 

Good sizing as well. The 150ml is perfect Flatwhite size if you want the coffee to punch through your milk.

The cappuccino (190ml)is also a good option.

If interested I might be willing to part 1 or cappuccino cups. Dm me.

Sweet.

Went to truth to check it out in person. They are thicc, but I like. The 150ml is perfect for my low volume machine and preference. Unfortunately they only sell the branded ones in-store (why!???), so I placed an order online.

59 minutes ago, Fisan said:

Sweet.

Went to truth to check it out in person. They are thicc, but I like. The 150ml is perfect for my low volume machine and preference. Unfortunately they only sell the branded ones in-store (why!???), so I placed an order online.

Nothing beats Acme, great cups. I also order online from Truth.

3 hours ago, Fisan said:

Yes. But don't confuse the left one for a RRP. That's your typical overpriced import-commerce sites. Don't know how these sites exist...

Either way, same specs. Smeg just owns the brand now (for better or worse..). Internals are the same AFAIK.

In my brief experience, amazing machine. The attractiveness was the simplicity, involvement and beauty! (and availability in 2nd hand market). They have downsides, but not enough to put me off. This is way different to a one touch, but oh so satisfying to use. I can definitely recommend, but do note that everytime your wife wants a coffee you'll be the one making it.... I would even consider the pro version just for the included gauge and larger tank. Also, Hirsch had a 10% discount on these recently FWIW.

I have a smeg oven/stove so I know the brand’s quality.

I already make the odd coffee on the stove, or an older Ariete espresso machine (it’s seen better days), so this would satisfy my desire to walk down to the kitchen during my coffee breaks as well as pre-ride.

Smeg recently bought La Pavoni, those levers are awesome, I have owned and sold quite a few of them over the years. I currently own their rarer cousin, the Eurobar. 

There is one currently on marketplace in Cape Town for about R6k ish, but its missing some bits. Buying new at R12k is ok. 

Parts and spares are ok, quite easy to get locally. 

Guys like coffee sensor etc online keep everything for them. 

On 5/30/2022 at 10:38 AM, the nerd said:

Smeg recently bought La Pavoni, those levers are awesome, I have owned and sold quite a few of them over the years. I currently own their rarer cousin, the Eurobar. 

There is one currently on marketplace in Cape Town for about R6k ish, but its missing some bits. Buying new at R12k is ok. 

@the nerdI had a look at that machine in Cape Town, looked a bit overpriced considering the work needed but what do I know about 2nd hand machines. I'm keen to upgrade to one of these, is there a specific site I can look at to find a 2nd hand machine or would it be a better idea to buy new?

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Vishal72 said:

Got a Gaggia Classic Pro and  a Eureka Mignon Manuale. 
Added a 9 bar spring, IMS shower screen and PID. 
Very happy with the setup

826832CC-C3CE-41CE-BF89-427ADCE300F8.jpeg

B87614C9-1017-4648-87F5-6E6D41522770.jpeg

AC66B856-C8E8-4D53-9C8B-5C1DFBD0505D.jpeg

Congrats on shweet setup. 

Did you do upgrades on brand new machine? 

Want to know how it compares to standard setup. Got a mate who is in the market for something very similar 

1 hour ago, babse said:

Congrats on shweet setup. 

Did you do upgrades on brand new machine? 

Want to know how it compares to standard setup. Got a mate who is in the market for something very similar 

thanks

did the shower screen and spring upgrade new so can't comment on those changes 

The PID made a big difference with regards to consistency as temperature is a bit of a guess without it.

Crucial when playing around with optimal temperature settings.

Zaakir from Latte Art (https://latteart.co.za) did the conversion, would be a good idea to speak to him as he is very helpful and knowledgeable 

Edited by Vishal72

7 minutes ago, Vishal72 said:

thanks

did the shower screen and spring upgrade new so can't comment on those changes 

The PID made a big difference as temperature is a bit of a guess without it.

Crucial when playing around with optimal temperature settings.

Zaakir from Latte Art (https://latteart.co.za) did the conversion, would be a good idea to speak to him as he is very helpful and knowledgeable 

hahaha that is exactly who my mate is in contact with.

Enjoy it bud!

I tallied up my monthly spend on coffee while on the road. Was a bit of an eye opener.  So instead of admitting that I have a problem, I doubled down and went full dirtbag by packing all I need to scratch the itch into an old toolbox. 

The efferfluC container has ground coffee, but when I take the aeropress I take a porlex mini with me. Stove top (or rather my palette) isn't as sensitive to freshly ground coffee as the aeropress. 

Unexpected bonus is that the 10 minutes I spend brewing is a good break from driving, and the views are superb. Two days ago I brewed coffee next to the river in stellies, today it'll be next to a freshly planted field in the Overberg somewhere. 0A005C79-F27B-46B0-9864-E4E245423F3B.jpeg.16de355822c0896efdb4ca5061b0378e.jpeg15204163-145D-42BE-8325-E7477F82E7A0.jpeg.85aa39b1bd1902983ce3b78376e8f845.jpeg

On 7/30/2021 at 10:55 PM, Mudsimus said:

Really happy with the Lelit setup, much more convenient compared to my Silvia. And having a PID is a game changer. 

IMG_20210730_180433_256.jpg

IMG_20210730_180433_285.jpg

20210730_174158.jpg

I realize this post was waaay long ago, but im currently deciding between the Lelit and the Rancilio Silver.  You say its much more convenient than the Rancilio?  Is that mainly because of the time it takes to heat up and the temp gauge?  Any advice between these two machines would be greatly appreciated!!

6 hours ago, Bongo said:

I realize this post was waaay long ago, but im currently deciding between the Lelit and the Rancilio Silver.  You say its much more convenient than the Rancilio?  Is that mainly because of the time it takes to heat up and the temp gauge?  Any advice between these two machines would be greatly appreciated!!

The heat up time was the main reason I got the Lelit. You go from switch on to brew temp in 3 minutes, including heating the group head and portafilter.

Then its also got a PID, and its an absolute game changer. No temperature surfing needed, and you can play around with lighter roast beans.

The pressure guage also allows you to do a brute force pre infusion.

The only downside compared to the Rancilio is that its 57mm and the Silvia has a bigger steam boiler. That said, I managed to find all the accessories for the Lelit, and you can get cafe quality steam milked with some adjustment on the PID.