Coffee machine

I read that Truth in Capetown was rated the worlds top coffe shop by a UK publication. Nice one.

My Oscar is in for a service. Wouldn't heat up. The seal has been leaking for a while and I have had the machine for two years so in it went for a total service. R3750 with labour. Ouch. Anyway I am supposed to get it back tomorrow. I have been using the aero press. It's OK but it's not the same.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that heavy! You must use it very often? Who did your service?

It's in at that place in Parkhurst. Where I bought it. Cannot remember the name now.

Descale, new heating element, new seal and new sieve. I have no idea if it's expensive or not but I do know it's a lot of money. I don't make a lot of coffee I don't think. About 4 cups a day but that is every day. Unless I am away.

FWIW, my Expobar Brewtus went about five years without attention (3/4 cups a day), then she needed a "brain transplant" (new IC). Oh, I did replace gaskets on the shower head. . .

Since then she's been running two years without issue (touch wood). Getting to be a bit of an old lady, but she still delivers the juice! Same goes for my coffee machine. 

Got my Oscar back today. Seems the performance has been slowly falling off over time. It is now amazing. Pulled a great shot and my steaming was the best ever.

You don't notice a slow drop on performance very easily. It feels like a new machine to go with my new eyes that have also been slowly degrading over time.

I was in Rome until Tuesday, and picked up two sets of seals and two filter baskets for my Caravel from Francesco Ceccarelli (a famous collector of lever machines). My machine pulls incredibly smooth now. I also purchased fresh beans from Tazza D'Oro and Sant Eustacchio. The results are very good, but Mastertons and Origin Roasters are just as good in my opinion.

post-4006-1435868339,356.jpg

Help needed.

My girlfriend's Caffeluxe (local Nespresso version) started giving problems the last few weeks with minimal water coming through the capsule. 

I bought descaling tablets from @home over the weekend, believing this should help the problem, as there is possible buildup in the pump.

I was skeptical of the descaling tablets when they didn't dissolve in the water. After breaking them fine I started the descaling process. Hoping that it should work now.

It got worse. No water is currently coming through the pump. The machine shuts it self off after a few seconds with no water pumping through.

Should I attempt a different descaling product and start over or should I try and dismantle the machine (it is outside the 12 month Warranty period) and see what I can do?

Help would be appreciated.

Not going to be descaling if you cant get water through it.

If you can get anything through then add some vinegar to the water, its not ideal but will get the initial buildup out.

Then run some descaling solution through it a few times to get the vinegar taste out.

I've seen vinegar remove hectic scale, couldn't believe how well it worked. You do have to repeat the process a few times and let it stand for 20mins each time.

Help needed.

My girlfriend's Caffeluxe (local Nespresso version) started giving problems the last few weeks with minimal water coming through the capsule. 

I bought descaling tablets from @home over the weekend, believing this should help the problem, as there is possible buildup in the pump.

I was skeptical of the descaling tablets when they didn't dissolve in the water. After breaking them fine I started the descaling process. Hoping that it should work now.

It got worse. No water is currently coming through the pump. The machine shuts it self off after a few seconds with no water pumping through.

Should I attempt a different descaling product and start over or should I try and dismantle the machine (it is outside the 12 month Warranty period) and see what I can do?

Help would be appreciated.

Try find some citric acid powder -should be easy to find - make sure it dissolves completely - using hot water to dissolve it helps.

But I suspect you have now got particles stick in the pump (vibratory pump) and you will really struggle to get them out (try hot water in the tank) - stripping a vibe pump is generally not advised, as they usually don't work after that - there are some instructions on home-barista.com as well as a few war stories. Replacing the pump might be an option but they are hard to find locally.

My advice - buy a new machine - it will cost less than a service with in all liklyhood a new pump will, and at least you will have a warrantee again - now will be a good time to consider a bean to cup  machine for her as an upgrade.

If you want to strip it and see what you can achieve it might be worth a go - provided you are prepared for a replacement if you don't succeed.

Thank you everyone.

What is the recommended dilution for the vinegar in the water tank?

I will also go look for the Citric Acid Powder.

I figured that if I open it up, I won't be able to put it back perfectly.

Luckily there is some water coming through. Checked yesterday again. So will try it with either vinegar or Citric Acid powder tonight.

Which one would you guys recommend of the two?

please if anyone has a similar machine i am looking for a good clean second hand one, PLEASE PM ME

post-34848-0-44886700-1436253981_thumb.jpg

post-34848-0-54064600-1436253992_thumb.jpg

please if anyone has a similar machine i am looking for a good clean second hand one, PLEASE PM ME

I have one. PM sent

Edited by the nerd