Coffee machine

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, dave303e said:

I like the way coffee was referred to as a drug. It has actually been an interesting journey for me over the last year. A GERD diagnosis means I need to manage my stomach closely otherwise my daily intake of rennies and regular mid race chunders is quite alarming to say the least. So I started with a few dietary changes and then the dietitian recommended ditching caffeine.......

The first few weeks were rough. Remember many state that caffeine is the single best legal performance enhancing drug available.

If you were to replace the word coffee/caffeine with cocaine and explain your day in terms of caffeine intake it would go something like this:

Wake up and the first thing you do is have cocaine and breakfast, then you head to work and have some more as you sit down to get going. Mid morning when your energy dips a little you take a break and grab some more cocaine to get you to lunch. After lunch the digestion makes you slower so you have more cocaine to get you to the end of the work day. Then late evening before bed you have one last hit before bed. Sound familiar to a lot on here?

It was really a big hit for me, the first 3 weeks on decaf coffee was rough. I felt tired and sleepy the whole time. Now I feel a lot better, it has seriously helped manage the GERD to a point where I am off the meds and feeling better than ever. I do now use normal coffee strategically(yes like doping) but it is was an interesting adjustment.

Regarding the amount of coffee I drink- I still follow the usual routine. Coffee for me is a process, a break at work, an enjoyment on a long drive, a relaxing evening tipple and I still jump at the chance to get the mocha pot going on the gas cooker with a view. It is just caffeine free. Working with fresh beans makes decaf so good that very very few people can tell the difference in taste. The beauty of decaf is that you can have 10 a day and not feel guilty or have the jitters/runs...

Lets not sugar coat it, it is a drug (see what I did there :) )

At one stage I was up to 6 cups a day, because the coffee at work was good. And like you say, alot of it also has to do with the process/break , but I'm back down to 2 or 3 a day, and over the last month or 2 trying to make the last one in the evening a decaf.

I cant say it affects my gut much, but then I am on permanent Anti reflux meds.

21 hours ago, dave303e said:

That is an interesting article. I read another article a few weeks back and followed it up with confirmation from a family member on the ground. There is a bit of a push to revive the Arabica production in the Eastern Highlands of Zimbabwe again. 

Ja, also from tribesmen on the ground Zim coffee production is quite robust (pun unintended) but a lot contracted for Nespresso. New coffee shop just opened at Harare airport; some Bootlegger influences.

19 hours ago, dave303e said:

I like the way coffee was referred to as a drug. It has actually been an interesting journey for me over the last year. A GERD diagnosis means I need to manage my stomach closely otherwise my daily intake of rennies and regular mid race chunders is quite alarming to say the least. So I started with a few dietary changes and then the dietitian recommended ditching caffeine.......

The first few weeks were rough. Remember many state that caffeine is the single best legal performance enhancing drug available.

If you were to replace the word coffee/caffeine with cocaine and explain your day in terms of caffeine intake it would go something like this:

Wake up and the first thing you do is have cocaine and breakfast, then you head to work and have some more as you sit down to get going. Mid morning when your energy dips a little you take a break and grab some more cocaine to get you to lunch. After lunch the digestion makes you slower so you have more cocaine to get you to the end of the work day. Then late evening before bed you have one last hit before bed. Sound familiar to a lot on here?

It was really a big hit for me, the first 3 weeks on decaf coffee was rough. I felt tired and sleepy the whole time. Now I feel a lot better, it has seriously helped manage the GERD to a point where I am off the meds and feeling better than ever. I do now use normal coffee strategically(yes like doping) but it is was an interesting adjustment.

Regarding the amount of coffee I drink- I still follow the usual routine. Coffee for me is a process, a break at work, an enjoyment on a long drive, a relaxing evening tipple and I still jump at the chance to get the mocha pot going on the gas cooker with a view. It is just caffeine free. Working with fresh beans makes decaf so good that very very few people can tell the difference in taste. The beauty of decaf is that you can have 10 a day and not feel guilty or have the jitters/runs...

im confused, so im not allowed to do both

19 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

Lets not sugar coat it, it is a drug (see what I did there :) )

At one stage I was up to 6 cups a day, because the coffee at work was good. And like you say, alot of it also has to do with the process/break , but I'm back down to 2 or 3 a day, and over the last month or 2 trying to make the last one in the evening a decaf.

I cant say it affects my gut much, but then I am on permanent Anti reflux meds.

So after month of either not having a coffee or having a decaf at night, last night I had a regular coffee, let just say this meme is very accurate

image.png.022e6bcb661ed7c7ed4fe434c13db722.png

10 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

So after month of either not having a coffee or having a decaf at night, last night I had a regular coffee, let just say this meme is very accurate

image.png.022e6bcb661ed7c7ed4fe434c13db722.png

When I just got my coffee machine, a mate came over to help me set it up nicely, we went through a 250g bag of beans getting it dialled, now, we didnt drink every coffee that we made, but I did have a taste of every shot we made, and man oh man, that meme is 100% spot on, thank goodness it was on a Friday evening

On 1/13/2024 at 12:48 PM, Frosty said:

My wife says she is very fortunate to have a coffee maker in the house 😂😂

image.png.6d273009964862d1bda5446194c49331.png

doesnt it bother you having a half naked coffee maker hanging around your kitchen ? :) 

I am pretty sure this has been asked before, but please advise on a grinder and machine that I should consider that can replace my barista express? I sold the barista express before moving, now want to get a machine again. Tired of all these restaurant bean to cup coffees in NL...

Or should I just look for another barista express/sage machine here? The second hand market is ok, but I am not sure what to look for. I was happy with the barista express, but I would like to upgrade a bit without breaking the bank.

1 hour ago, W@nted said:

I am pretty sure this has been asked before, but please advise on a grinder and machine that I should consider that can replace my barista express? I sold the barista express before moving, now want to get a machine again. Tired of all these restaurant bean to cup coffees in NL...

Or should I just look for another barista express/sage machine here? The second hand market is ok, but I am not sure what to look for. I was happy with the barista express, but I would like to upgrade a bit without breaking the bank.

Where in NL are you?

• 3 weeks later...

I love the second hand market here in NL... Picked up a Baratza sette 270 grinder and a monster of a Expobar brewtus iv machine this weekend. Happy days! How I have missed a proper cappuccino!

12 minutes ago, W@nted said:

I love the second hand market here in NL... Picked up a Baratza sette 270 grinder and a monster of a Expobar brewtus iv machine this weekend. Happy days! How I have missed a proper cappuccino!

In Nederland kennen ze niets van koffie dus heb je zeker een kwaliteit machine nodig :)

Laat het smaken!