weekly tss score

fandacious

A question for John, seeing that you guys have testing facilities in JHB and CPT.

Is there a difference in FTPs done at sea level and that at altitude, even after time given for adjustment?

All my PPOs PB have been set in when riding in CPT, about 5-7% on shorter burst above what I get here in JHB.

So my question I suppose is.

If an athletes lives in JHB for 6months, test FTP, then goes to CPT and lives there for 6 months and tests again would the figures match? (excluding all other factors like training and diet, to isolate the answer)

Do I need to change my jetting? :P

Simple answer is yes there is, but the values or differences are different per athlete and their physiology. Some people are effected badly by altitude and others not.

What I have personally found is typically between 5 -10% difference but that value also becomes a lot closer when train correctly and get used to being at altitude. 

Also something to take into consideration is doing an outdoor FTP test vs indoors. If you training indoors a lot then do a test indoors and use that value when you on the indoor trainer. Adjusts accordingly when you then train outside. 

In some cases athletes are able to produce same power indoor vs outdoors and I have have the more they train on a indoor trainer over time the gap between indoor and out is reduced significantly. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple answer is yes there is, but the values or differences are different per athlete and their physiology. Some people are effected badly by altitude and others not.

What I have personally found is typically between 5 -10% difference but that value also becomes a lot closer when train correctly and get used to being at altitude. . 

So THAT is the reason I always suck at doing the August in Maaarch.  :ph34r:

Not enjoying this, just got over my last bout, ready to kick into gear this week and there a stomach takes me out,

been man down since Saturday.

G

Had one of my better weeks in a long time

5 rides (sat was a race in 3h06), 8h16m

TSS 581.9 of which the race had a TSS of 267 and IF of 0.93

......and today I am sick:(

So THAT is the reason I always suck at doing the August in Maaarch.  :ph34r:

Should actually be the opposite and you have some small turbos added.

Been Ramping it up a little :

Last 7 days

TSS AVG per day        90.3

Intensity                       81 %

Past 30 Days

TSS AVG per day       105

Intensity                       75%

Prepping for Vuelta  :w00t:

TSS: 617

IF: .64

Some easy easy cruising in there. Did 2 days of strength work - squats and lifts which hurt and took a few days to recover from that.

249.9 TSS

0.76 IF

Fell of a motorbike on the track, bit through my lip, bruised left side ribs and sternum as well. No riding saturday small ride on sunday to feel things out.

Might start on Tuesday again depending on how the body feels