Shocking incident between van driver and cyclists in Camps Bay

Surv0MTB

Don't you mean "stilts"

Stilts Què?

actually..... I use mtb shoes on my road bike but not because they easier to use off the bike

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This beatdown on the driver cannot be condoned......., but im dying to hear the cyclists side of the story?

What made them so angry?

Edited by Bat-ass

Reading their facebook page it seems this was in reaction to being pelted with things while riding... water sachets etc

Yip, there is far more to the scenario than what the clip represents.

Was it a defensive move by the cyclists?

Cyclists are very vulnerable out there.

In any event, peppering each other here on this thread is just unnecessary.

It just perpetuates discord and mobbing, doesn't it.

Always sad to see the chasm grow wider between motorists and cyclists.

:-(

"DEAR RICHARD, THANK YOU FOR THIS FOOTAGE, IT IS A PITY THAT THE WHOLE VERSION OF THE FOOTAGE WAS NOT TAPED. THE DRIVER OF THE VAN AND ITS OCCUPANTS (COMING FROM THE JIVE WALK) VICTIMISED, PRACTICALLY ABUSED OUR RIDERS BY THROWING THEM WITH STUFF, WATER BOMPIES(SACHETS) EARLIER ON, THE DRIVER NEVER ANTICIPATED THE TRAFFIC LIGHTS WOULD TURN RED, WHICH MEANT OUR GUYS CAUGHT UP WITH THEM AND THIS WAS A RESULT OF ANGRY CYCLISTS HAVING HAD, HAD ENOUGH OF VERBAL AND PHYSICAL ABUSE BY SOME MOTORISTS." - off their Facebook page

I think in politics they call it "Spin"

Wouldn't work. They'd be the strava lot yelling "track" on the spruit and terrorising the joggers and dog walkers. Arseholes are aresholes.

Yup. We don't need okes like this on the trails. Rather leave them to play with the taxis in rush hour.

Which makes me wonder... if it was a taxi that had cut them off, would the same have happened? Something tells me a gaartjie with a sack full of coins would have sorted this lot out pretty quickly. That would be a video worth watching.

On the plus side, I see the club's being tarred and feathered on FB. I'm hoping CSA and / or PPA will put pressure on the club to identify, ban and charge the members involved. Publicly. Preferably on Beach Rd, so that at least a few motorists realise that riding a bike doesn't automatically make you a muppet.

"DEAR RICHARD, THANK YOU FOR THIS FOOTAGE, IT IS A PITY THAT THE WHOLE VERSION OF THE FOOTAGE WAS NOT TAPED. THE DRIVER OF THE VAN AND ITS OCCUPANTS (COMING FROM THE JIVE WALK) VICTIMISED, PRACTICALLY ABUSED OUR RIDERS BY THROWING THEM WITH STUFF, WATER BOMPIES(SACHETS) EARLIER ON, THE DRIVER NEVER ANTICIPATED THE TRAFFIC LIGHTS WOULD TURN RED, WHICH MEANT OUR GUYS CAUGHT UP WITH THEM AND THIS WAS A RESULT OF ANGRY CYCLISTS HAVING HAD, HAD ENOUGH OF VERBAL AND PHYSICAL ABUSE BY SOME MOTORISTS." - off their Facebook page

Send this to the investigating officer. This bloke admits to committing assault.

This beatdown on the driver cannot be condoned......., but im dying to hear the cyclists side of the story?

What made them so angry?

If this is to be believed. Puts a whole new spin on it, but still does not justify the assault.

We wanna name them an band them from what . we watching a clip that shows 59 secs of what is the middle of the argument or the start we don't no . i too am a cyclist i have been knocked over 5 times by motorist an thrown at many times because the kids an motorist think they can get away . now that cyclist are taking action we wana make them look like the bad guys . we should sit down an think what really went wrong , because they coloured guys we say they gangsters ... what if they had been white then would things be find . as a cycling body stand up for yourself . we had world champs being killed by cars what do we do NOTHING now we cyclist are doing something

Really??? Are you sure you were not one of the individuals or know one of them involved in this? If so, why don't you give your version of events?

From the Cycle Tour website:

The Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust condemn in the strongest possible terms the incident that occurred in the early hours of Sunday morning. The kind of behavior displayed is totally unacceptable. The Trust will be working together with the Pedal Power Association to identify those involved, following which the names will be forwarded to the authorities for a formal investigation, the outcome of which will determine the consequences for those involved.

I will repeat my post on page 1 that these thugs deserve no place in our sport, no matter what provocation they will claim.

Edited by carbon29er

There is many reasons why those kids got beatten .... an many reasons why cyclist are acting out the way they are many has been knocked over an killed many have been mugged by guys in vans ... So this happend for a reason . the guy taking this clip has his own understanding of what happened but did he get out of his car an ask WHY !!!! does not seem so . to me it seem watching that clip it shows the guy in the car throwing the first punch but what happened before the clip me an you an the guy taking the clip will never No !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing warrants mob type justice and these morons should face up to what is coming!

We wanna name them an band them from what . we watching a clip that shows 59 secs of what is the middle of the argument or the start we don't no . i too am a cyclist i have been knocked over 5 times by motorist an thrown at many times because the kids an motorist think they can get away . now that cyclist are taking action we wana make them look like the bad guys . we should sit down an think what really went wrong , because they coloured guys we say they gangsters ... what if they had been white then would things be find . as a cycling body stand up for yourself . we had world champs being killed by cars what do we do NOTHING now we cyclist are doing something

So why are they behaving like that in the video, come on someone needs to justify it with a real reason and not WHAT IF

Does not justify their behaviour.

To placate a few Hubbers: what happened before that? Why would guys in a van pelt a large group of cyclists with "stuff".

What is shocking is that the Club is endorsing the unlawful behaviour of its members. From their own communications it is clear that there have been many prior incidents of altercations between club members and motorists.

Am I the only one who can't see the robots in the video?