Training with "weaker" partner

Hi guys,

My girlfriend and I ride together. We are both new to MTBing. She is a lot smaller and weaker than I am. I don't want to leave her behind, and let any stranger dangers or lions eat her up... so I tend to go slow and never really ride hard.

When I go riding with my friends they go ham and I can't keep up.

How can I train with my girlfriend, stick close to her, but still build some strength and endurance?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

My girlfriend and I ride together. We are both new to MTBing. She is a lot smaller and weaker than I am. I don't want to leave her behind, and let any stranger dangers or lions eat her up... so I tend to go slow and never really ride hard.

When I go riding with my friends they go ham and I can't keep up.

How can I train with my girlfriend, stick close to her, but still build some strength and endurance?

SS

Hey Ricardo

Gaan ry 'n uur lank alleen voordat julle saam begin. Dit sal jou ten minste meer oefening gee.

Is julle nog in PTA?

So when you go riding at the Spruit or whatever, ride there on your bike and try see that as your interval.

yup, do training rides on your ace, or with your group, and then use the rides with her for recovery.

also do hill repeats while riding with her, although this falls into the "leave her alone so the lions can eat her" category...

You ride a Single Speed. My hubs and I ride this way for all rides up to 35km. His SS weighs a ton, so I have a fighting chance of keeping up!

Unfortunately you will stay "weak" I trained with a weaker partner for 4 years. Didn't work for me but for him. He became stronger and I went no where. I joined a big group where I suffered in the beginning. At 48 I am doing better than at 30. I suggest you and your girlfriend join a big group where both of you will benefit and she will become stronger and you never know she might just make you say "honey wait for me" :whistling: :thumbup:

Unfortunately you will stay "weak" I trained with a weaker partner for 4 years. Didn't work for me but for him. He became stronger and I went no where. I joined a big group where I suffered in the beginning. At 48 I am doing better than at 30. I suggest you and your girlfriend join a big group where both of you will benefit and she will become stronger and you never know she might just make you say "honey wait for me" :whistling: :thumbup:

i unfortunately also made a partner weaker because he was idling while i was dying,,,,,PS HE WAS ON A SS AND I WASNT :blush: :blush:

Go out for an hour or two loop before her, then pick her up and do the last bit of your workout as a cool down