MTB Race Entry Fees....

Guest silver de lange

re The hijacked Munga issues: If you Joe Average with $10k just lying around in your mattress, then its just a social ride for 1000km. Makes no sense to me. 20 Elites competing really ...and everyone else is just there for the pretty girls and ice lolly at the end.

The 4th to 10th team all just get an entry to next year, so no real prize money at all after first 3 teams.

:thumbdown:

Edited by TooTall?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We paid R1000 for the Transkaroo 240km race. Excluding transport and accomodation. Its getting very costly, thats why we only do 4-5 races a year compaired to about 10 the previous years. The standard of goddie bags has also dropped.

OP, are you informing us about a race and the entry fees, raving about the affordability of the event or ranting about the high cost of this (and possibly other) events?

Pick any one of the above, or all. Who knows what goes on in Silver's head!

Pick any one of the above, or all. Who knows what goes on in Silver's head!

Perhaps its Peanutbutter in disguise?

and everyone else is just there for the pretty girls and ice lolly at the end.

No one said anything about pretty girls and ice lollies, Entry Paid!!!

• 8 years later...

I was also complaining about high entry costs untill I got involved in the planning of a potential multi stage MTB event. Once you take everything from entry system, registration, accomodation, trails, food, Marshall's, water points, medals etc etc into account, the true cost of presenting such an event is huge. If you don't have existing permanent facilities available and existing trails in place there is nothing in it for the organisers.Go do your sums and see for yourself

5 minutes ago, Block said:

I was also complaining about high entry costs untill I got involved in the planning of a potential multi stage MTB event. Once you take everything from entry system, registration, accomodation, trails, food, Marshall's, water points, medals etc etc into account, the true cost of presenting such an event is huge. If you don't have existing permanent facilities available and existing trails in place there is nothing in it for the organisers.Go do your sums and see for yourself

But then you get the events with huge Anchor Sponsers and the entry fee is still just stupid

We had a number of meetings to be the Anchor Sponser for J2C a few years back - Our company has a huge marketing budget, so they not scared to throw money at marketing campaigns focused in their industry - When we got to money it made our eyes water what they were demanding. Probably why the J2C has come to an end

34 minutes ago, Block said:

Nice selection well priced DAY events available.

Different price range for stage races, even before accomodation costs.

Looking at the number of entries this seems to be a HUGE gamble for the organisers at the moment .....  when an event has a cap of 300 riders, but only 200 enter .....

Reading various ride reports, most rides are under subscribed.

It must suck to be an event organiser now ....