Puffy encounter

gerhardsnorbaard

We bumped into a little Cobra at Hoogekraal last weekend, a rather feisty little bugger as well. Fortunately we were all standing still having a pow wow while he casually sauntered past, hood in the air... Yoh, I have to admit my ride was a lot more cautious after that.

I've actually ridden over a Puffy before while TTing on my road bike but I was over him before he or I realised what had happened. And I've been over a 2m long mole snake before on my dirtbike that had me screeming like a girl (at the time I thought it was a monster Cobra). It didn't help I binned the bike at the same time and almost landed on the snake. Needless to say, no one offered to help pick up the bike.

If I encounter one on the trails that I can't avoid, I can promise you that the ensueing bunny hop will look like a launch off a Table Top jump.

They all look big to me....even the babies

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man I hate snakes! They give me the heebie-jeebies.

Wendy came across one at Northern Farm - friends seemed to think from the size and description that it was a rock Python?

I would bunny hop my way right out the farm if I saw one.

Out at Howick / Karkloof the other day exploring the trails. It was real hot.  Came across a trail with a name board 'Puff adder trail'.  Looked cool so headed off over the rocks. Few meters down the trail my imagination got the better of me.  Thinking there must have been a reason what they called it that.  Turned around and headed back but every piece of bark, stick or log thereafter looked dodge.

Puffies i can still handle because they're not one of the fastest snakes around, except when they strike...

But Coming across a 2m+ Black Mamba, is not fun at all. And believe you me, i have had a couple close encounters with them.. Almost made me give up MTB and take up road cycling. :ph34r:  :eek:

shooo, close one

Yesterday i was cruising down a jeep track in deer park (ct), and saw something resembling a log in the middle of the road. Then when i got close i realised its a puff adder crossing the road. Managed to stop within metre or 2 of striking distance.

This made me think - how does one handle such a situation when you cant stop? Go past head or tail, or through the middle? Bunny hop? Ride over it and hope it doesnt catch the spokes? Would love to hear others stories.

Beware of the Boerewors snake....

attachicon.gifsnake.jpg

looks like a baboon drol... 

Puffies i can still handle because they're not one of the fastest snakes around, except when they strike...

But Coming across a 2m+ Black Mamba, is not fun at all. And believe you me, i have had a couple close encounters with them.. Almost made me give up MTB and take up road cycling. :ph34r:  :eek:

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/51587666.jpg

Love snakes, but at a suitable distance. They are extremely common right now because the weather has warmed up. Late last summer I had a close encounter with an adult Cape Cobra on the very aptly named Cobra trail at Hoogekraal. The thing was on the grass at the inside of one of the trickiest switchbacks on that trail. It reared up and struck at me as I navigated the turn. The strike went behind me but I still recall the sun glinting off its black nose. By the time my wife caught up it had disappeared...

So far I have seen (on the various trails in Tokai):

Puff Adder on Mamba - super close, super angry, lunged few times. Closest call ever!!

Boomslang on Cobra

Boomslang on Boomslang

Cobra on Switchbacks

Puff Adder on jeep track from Switchbacks

Puff Adder on main jeep track (DJR will recall)

x2 Puff Adders on DH3

Baby Boomslang on Vasbyt

..the rest in Tokai I forget but only ever saw one Cobra at Rhodes Mem where in my haste to escape I got a snake bite - work that one out.. :/

Thanks everyone

I saw a snake on Hoogekraal. It was brown and was a snake, I did stop to ask what type he was. Having read this thread, I am selling a well used Giant mountain bike, looking for a road bike.

Puff Adder on Mamba - super close, super angry, lunged few times. Closest call ever!!

Boomslang on Cobra

Boomslang on Boomslang

Cobra on Switchbacks

x2 Puff Adders on DH3

Baby Boomslang on Vasbyt

..the rest in Tokai I forget but only ever saw one Cobra at Rhodes Mem where in my haste to escape I got a snake bite - work that one out.. :/

Yoh

Out at Howick / Karkloof the other day exploring the trails. It was real hot.  Came across a trail with a name board 'Puff adder trail'.  Looked cool so headed off over the rocks. Few meters down the trail my imagination got the better of me.  Thinking there must have been a reason what they called it that.  Turned around and headed back but every piece of bark, stick or log thereafter looked dodge.

local legend is that "puff adder pass" is named for the puffies found there when making the trail. I ride it pretty often but have never seen one. I reckon its named so because when you come out the other side you bleeding through the eyes from the effort. You must try it next time, it's a really interesting trail. 

I know that we are in the snakes environment but what freaks me out is cycling through overgrown paths where you can barely see the trail.

I am not shy to say that on some hot days i changed my route slightly to avoid such routes.

Does anybody know if a cyclist was ever bitten by a snake while out riding?

could not agree more, don't mind a snake I can see.....it's those that I think are there in the long dry grass on the trail that freak me out, even though they are not really there

Boomslang on Cobra

Boomslang on Boomslang

Cobra on Switchbacks

x2 Puff Adders on DH3

Baby Boomslang on Vasbyt

You like a snake magnet....please start a topic and let us know where you'll be riding the weekend..., I want to be on another trail somewhere (very) far.

But Coming across a 2m+ Black Mamba, is not fun at all. And believe you me, i have had a couple close encounters with them.. Almost made me give up MTB and take up road cycling. :ph34r: :eek:

....but then, the Race Snakes,...apparently 'Attack after Attack'...and in bunches...Glad you stuck with 'The Crew' ????

Had a similar incident today with a puffadder that looked like it had been on steroids,in Stellenbosch just at the start of the G Spot, I opted for the not so majestic dismount rather than bunny hop and ended up with 45 minutes spent with the local clinic sister at the Pharmacy patching up pieces of skin. Next time I will take my chances with the strike speed of puffadder and attempt the bunny hop!