Kevin Evans accepts doping charge

Paulst12

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All this talk of blood haematocrit levels.... Was this what was found to be suspicious in the SAIDS case against KE, or is it just speculative discussion?

Clearly something was going on but what....?

Everyone who should know knows but no one is saying anything definitive from what i can find....

All this talk of blood haematocrit levels.... Was this what was found to be suspicious in the SAIDS case against KE, or is it just speculative discussion?

Clearly something was going on but what....?

Everyone who should know knows but no one is saying anything definitive from what i can find....

It started with someone posting their early wakeup time to go training, and that's when the fun started!

Someone then mentioned the stories from the 90s about riders having to get up early to get their heartrates up because of the epo making their blood thick and people dying.

Proof was requested of those stories, but no direct proof was given. A bit of tit for tat followed in whether it's true and possible for that high levels.

Then we started discussing haematocrit levels and what was uci legal and then also about doping not giving the same advantage to everyone.

So point 1, next time read yourself [emoji14] and 2, it has nothing to do with KE's case. Just some interesting information.

So I've just watched pvr'd Supercycling to see what the ex-doper and crew would have to say.  Was a fairly strained moment to say the least.  When they are discussing doping/dopers/dopes the air is so thick of whatall is being unsaid it's hard to see the presenters.

Occurred to me today that the Epic's level of difficulty is probably calibrated against the front runners - so those poor fkrs having to come in in about 2x the winning time of the super-charged to make cut-off should probably be given more respect than they are.

If KE has been doping and couldn't reliably win, well, that says it all.

Nope.

Because they (I)  have a life and kids and families and have to train harder in order to be faster and fitter. 

Absolutely - you have to make time, steal time, find time somewhere to train. And in my case, it means whatever time I get, I just absolutely hammer it on the bike for max effect. Plus it's more fun when you're going fast, anyway.

Heres the thing - we clearly care about this stuff as this thread is now running 50 pages and its still getting more interesting and informative.

This is a pretty fascinating topic and its pretty much a tragicomedy in the way that it has panned out with all nuances of the people involved having added their 2 cents along the way. Its like we all knew this was likely - we dreaded that it could be true and we hoped that it wasn't. But like in the movies the story has unravelled in such a way that it makes movie scripts and series look tame - their script writers could write this and we wouldn't watch it as we would say its too far fetched.

I am continually fascinated by the psyche of the dopers as well as the righteous indignation they show when caught - this is what keeps me hooked on this topic - Lance, Kevin, Tyler, Rourke - basically all very similar.....

You've nailed it - I find the 'self deception' as fascinating as the deception of others. Makes you wonder about what makes these people (and ones like Garamundage) tick. No consideration or respect for others. Sport is supposed to be about human endeavour, camaraderie, effort, hard work, discipline, commitment, achievement, disappointment, winning, losing*, being fair.

At least in my mind, anyway.

* To know how to win, you also need to know how to lose.

Wait, I never knew lances ball is a girl? I always imagined lances ball a mixture of jens voigt, paoulini, Brad Wiggins, the secret pro and Mark Cavendish.

Having a boyfriend does not necessarily mean you are a girl.... This is Cape Town after all...

So your mental picture might still be spot on..

Edited by Skubarra

Wait, I never knew lances ball is a girl? I always imagined lances ball a mixture of jens voigt, paoulini, Brad Wiggins, the secret pro and Mark Cavendish.

remember there are two balls as well, the one in a jar and the other which keeps on producing whoopsies

You've nailed it - I find the 'self deception' as fascinating as the deception of others. Makes you wonder about what makes these people (and ones like Garamundage) tick. No consideration or respect for others. Sport is supposed to be about human endeavour, camaraderie, effort, hard work, discipline, commitment, achievement, disappointment, winning, losing*, being fair.

At least in my mind, anyway.

* To know how to win, you also need to know how to lose.

Fyodor Dostoyevsky in writing 'The Brothers Karamazov' has one of the characters say this "If a man lies to another man he is merely a liar but if a man lies to himself he is deceived." I think Dostoyevsky's implication of living in a false sense of reality is rather applicable to dopers don't you?

Having a boyfriend does not necessarily mean you are a girl.... This is Cape Town after all...

So your mental picture might still be spot on..

Gents isn't Lancesball's opinion of greater importance than his/her gender or sexual orientation?

Guest Lancesball

A couple of cyclists with levels above 50%, only name that comes to mind is Charlie Wegulius. Had to prove that he was abnormal. Best remembered as the rider that raced for team instead of country at Worlds.  

A few are above 50% naturally. There has been a small few in SA even that have been at that value. Not uncommon at all.

Guest Lancesball

Couple of mountain climbers have documented levels over 50 - this might be nature or nurture or something else - like I say it's not a normal number - if I saw one over 50 I would probably get the test repeated thinking they had made a mistake....

Not sure you would see those values considering you not a Doctor at any medical level.

Guest Lancesball

Gents isn't Lancesball's opinion of greater importance than his/her gender or sexual orientation?

Its the Hub, important things dont matter. Sad to think someone gets judged and made fun of due to orientation and / sexuality.

Edited by Lancesball

Fyodor Dostoyevsky in writing 'The Brothers Karamazov' has one of the characters say this "If a man lies to another man he is merely a liar but if a man lies to himself he is deceived." I think Dostoyevsky's implication of living in a false sense of reality is rather applicable to dopers don't you?

Dopers to Dostoyevsky in 891 posts, man, I do love the Hub!