WTF CSA?

Patchelicious

Why can’t you post the answers here for all of us to see?

Current year is relatively easy. 3 months spent on trying to figure out what happened in the past and trying to figure out what previous years financials should actually look like. 6 months spent building a committee from mostly inexperienced volunteers (I am one of those) that did stick up their hands.

It is not that easy to kickstart something that is that broken, but I think the current CGC committee is doing ok.

Next big job is to repair and build the relationship with members, clubs and  race organiser etc.

The interesting thing is that we get a new club that wants to affiliate almost every month now.

The sad thing is that some of the biggest clubs in our region are not involved at all and do not have representation on the exco or commissions.

What kind of answers are you looking for?

I am happy to share what I believe I am legally allowed to.

It may give the Hubbers some insight into what the world of a CSA region looks like.

As long as you do not ask me about the exco salaries, travel allowances and accomodation, and entertainment.  :ph34r:

Edited by Rolling Stone

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the way I understand it any youth younger than 17 does not need a racing license , not even for nationals, provincials etc.

They must however have a CSA membership to do provincials, nationalsvetc.

Any rider older than 17 must have a full racing licensa in order to do provincials, nationals etc (even vets and masters)

For the rest a standard CSA membership is adequate. unless you wantbto race in the licensed cats or do provincials or nationals.

There is a lot of confusion with regards to membership and full racing License.

even officials sometimes get it wrong.

Then there’s an inconsistency in the application of the rules somewhere. In WP we can race provincial with a membership in all cats except junior men and women and elite men and women. The rider will not be eligible for nationals though.

Personally I think this is a good thing to encourage participation. Maybe I’ll take a fillnlicense for next year as nationals is becoming an interesting prospect.

Where is that flogging horse gif/meme... as keep coming back and seeing the same turned over and over.

Those pro CSA and who are involved or getting involved.... why not ask nicely for some CSA staff to come interact with us here and answer some questions or even put us straight on some facts that lead us to the wrong conclusions.

Perhaps they will also see the resentment and look to change perceptions.

But to harp on and get involved at the lowest level, throw time, money and effort over years to work your way up through the system only for the management to ignore it... think it would be quicker and less painful to bang my head against the wall.

And before you start stating how negative that is.... there are others who have tried, through correspondence, telephone calls, emails and offers of assistance.... only to have it fall on deaf ears!!

So no, you are on your own.... many of us will not get involved as currently it is seen as a fruitless task... and there are better things to do in life like ride our bikes, even race them!!

Edited by shaper

Lots of hyperbole, yet still no answer on the AGM. 

Starting to think it's some kind of secret masonic bookclub event. 

What is it you want to know about the AGM that is not available already?

Last AGM was 17 February 2018, so I suspect 2019 AGM to be around the same time.

But from looking at the attendance and the time taken, meeting started at 13:00hr and closed at 13:35hr... a total of 35mins to discuss all that is wrong with CSA???

Seems to be a closed AGM to invitees only and the floor was never opened for "Any other Busines" by others.

So even if you know of the AGM, don't think you will be invited or wanted there!!

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/53f5fb7ce4b0cab4a7fe8561/t/5b1fd569562fa7b775c59366/1528812909967/20180608_Minutes+AGM+Feb+2018+Final.pdf

Real shoot from the hip type of guy ne

Ask your questions properly and you will get a proper  answer if someone on here knows the answer.

What AGM?

CSA or Your Region?

Are you a CSA member?

What region are you a member of?

I do not even think you are taking the time to read the conversations. We were talking about Regions Gauteng East and Central  in particular. I have no Idea when East AGM will be, Central is usually in Jan or Feb. I will make sure to announce here to get as many members there as possible.

CGC is hoping to have a Special General Meeting before end of the year . I am however not sure if we are going to get it organised in time. Plan was to have it at 94.7 expo venue. Will know in the next week or so.

Our constitution is no longer relevant with all the changes that CSA has implemented, and it needs to be updated with the permission of our members at an AGM or SGM.

Better to do at a special meeting I think.

Edited by Rolling Stone

Real shoot from the hip type of guy ne

Ask your questions properly and you will get a proper  answer if someone on here knows the answer.

What AGM?

CSA or Your Region?

Are you a CSA member?

What region are you a member of?

I do not even think you are taking the time to read the conversations. We were talking about Regions Gauteng East and Central  in particular. I have no Idea when East AGM will be, Central is usually in Jan or Feb. I will make sure to announce here to get as many members there as possible.

CGC is hoping to have a Special General Meeting before end of the year . I am however not sure if we are going to get it organised in time. Plan was to have it at 94.7 expo venue. Will know in the next week or so.

Our constitution is no longer relevant with all the changes that CSA has implemented, and it needs to be updated with the permission of our members at an AGM or SGM.

Better to do at a special meeting I think.

Do you really want to go down the road of personal insults?

The questions were clear. I have taken the time to read the conversations, give the same courtesy on the same basis.

Thanks for the answer in the last part of your post, that's all that was required from the start.

In South Africa we have a unique way of governance.

Take the central government for an example. Never do they look in the mirror for the problems in RSA. It is always one of the groups (aag who am I kidding. It is the whites) who are the problem. They stole the land, they did this, a quarter of a century ago there was a system called apartheid bla bla bla.

How do we fix the dwindling economy? Not by plugging the wholes in the dam. Rather pump more water out of the poor taxpayers.

Take note CSA.

Get people to WANT to be members of CSA.

Maybe CSA should try the strategy of looking in the mirror. The other one does not seem to work.

Problem with CSA in some paradise regions is that those who run it use money for own benefit . . . The reason why its run by people like this is no one else actually wants the job. . Due to bureaucracy.

CSA reps insulting people is sort of the opposite of what is needed right now.

There is animosity towards CSA at the moment, justified animosity. This can’t be wished away, it needs to be worked away.

As stated previously  - I dont have a dog in this fight, not now.

Which affords me the luxury to read and digest data with no pre-conceived ideas, nor with any pre-conceived expectations ....

Right or wrong .... I get the idea that Rolling Stone WANTS to bridge the gap, and WANTS a positive interaction between most Hubbers and CSA.  RESPECT for even attempting to walk into the lions den !!

Sadly, some of his latter responses may possibly suggest a level of frustration setting in .....

I have previously expressed the wish that he be able to "hang in there" and that he may be able to bridge that gap and actually achieve positive dialogue, even though it will most probably take a long time,

My current perception - I HOPE Rolling Stone takes a breather, take a step back, take another breath, then provide feedback, and answer questions as factually as possible.  Obviously some will always try to read some undertone into whatever "CSA dishes up" .... but I REALLY hope Rolling Stone finds a way to continue the dialogue without getting too emotionally involved.

PS - I failed dismally at this in a different club setting a few years back.  I KNOW how difficult this can get !!  and thus I really wish him all the luck, as the SPORT needs a super strong hero to bridge the devide ....

As stated previously - I dont have a dog in this fight, not now.

Which affords me the luxury to read and digest data with no pre-conceived ideas, nor with any pre-conceived expectations ....

Right or wrong .... I get the idea that Rolling Stone WANTS to bridge the gap, and WANTS a positive interaction between most Hubbers and CSA. RESPECT for even attempting to walk into the lions den !!

Sadly, some of his latter responses may possibly suggest a level of frustration setting in .....

I have previously expressed the wish that he be able to "hang in there" and that he may be able to bridge that gap and actually achieve positive dialogue, even though it will most probably take a long time,

My current perception - I HOPE Rolling Stone takes a breather, take a step back, take another breath, then provide feedback, and answer questions as factually as possible. Obviously some will always try to read some undertone into whatever "CSA dishes up" .... but I REALLY hope Rolling Stone finds a way to continue the dialogue without getting too emotionally involved.

PS - I failed dismally at this in a different club setting a few years back. I KNOW how difficult this can get !! and thus I really wish him all the luck, as the SPORT needs a super strong hero to bridge the devide ....

Our hopes and wishes are very much aligned. Hence me trying to give some advice on how to or how not to engage.

Jumping into the shark tank is going to be tough. There is no “trust amnesty”, when you join a tainted organisation, you inherit its history and you must understand this.

I wish any person the best who want to make a difference at CSA. But one should never alienate those who’s support you need to turn it around.

.....................PS - I failed dismally at this in a different club setting a few years back.  ..................

For the same reason I decided, many years ago, that I will no longer be directly involved by serving on committees of any kind, no matter what.

I still give something back to each of the sports I am involved in. Even if it is only something like volunteering for trail building and maintenance work or doing a charity ride. But allowing the inevitable egos and agendas that populate any "committee" to make my life miserable again? No way!

ChrisF, DJR... where I'm at and where I'm going, I think!! Sane advice from both of you to anyone trying to "herd cats"  :)

And don't forget to ride your bike, lots.

Looking back at this thread and all the other CSA related threads, I strongly believe that having an open forum like this where people can air their views, share information, ask questions and interact is super important for the administration of the sport going forward. This thread is relevant and has drawn a lot of attention to the CSA governance issue.

People want to be informed and want a voice..

CSA is howeven a relatively complex animal, everything links back to CSA, but I get the feeling that cyclists tend to overestimate the strength of those links and amount of control that CSA actually exercises over its regions and officials. They also over estimate the number of volunteers that are willing to assist in these structures.

Is it not maybe time that we ask the moderators to open a specific CSA tab where we can move these threads to and open different threads that focus  a bit more on specific areas like Road Commissions, track commissions, regions, officials etc .

I personally want to communicate with other cyclists in my region and the disciplines that I am interested in.

I believe that there is no better forum than this one to reach the lost thousands outside of the CSA inner circle.

We may not always get the answers we want and reactions from the hubbers may be frustrating at times, but it should all add to the good of the sport in the long run.

Structural diagram CSA.pdf

Edited by Rolling Stone