• 60 - 69 rpm
    • 70 - 79 rpm
    • 80 - 89 rpm
    • 90 - 99 rpm
    • 100 - 109 rpm
    • 110 and up
    • What's cadence?

For the roadies and XC types.  

I see a lot of comments about "spinning out", so it would be interesting to see the stats.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always seem to end up right around 90. I see even higher is still recommended but as a fatty I can grind walkway fairly well, especially on the flats. Climbs I definitely have to spin up.

Mtb I do spin out over 30kph but it's a 32/11 1x setup

Been doing a lot of practice drills mixed in with workouts on the trainer to increase my cadence, am now around the 80-85 which is much more efficient for me

On the road 85 seems to my happy cadence regardless of terrain. Mountain I don't know just listen to my legs and how loud they are screaming . But guess it would be pretty close to my road bike.

Edited by Pikey

Only now after a few years of cycling and using trainerroad i actually concentrate more on cadence. On the idt my cadence is between 95 and 105. I have the kickr snap. I have bought myself that cadence gadget to actually put it on my crank arm. When do you know the cadence you are at is the right cadence for you? I feel very comfortable at my numbers....

Spin up gradients if you can

It delays fatigue

On the flats, find your own sweet spot

Could be 78

Maybe 87

Exactly as Dale says.

You will know your sweet spot when you find it.

Only now after a few years of cycling and using trainerroad i actually concentrate more on cadence. On the idt my cadence is between 95 and 105. I have the kickr snap. I have bought myself that cadence gadget to actually put it on my crank arm. When do you know the cadence you are at is the right cadence for you? I feel very comfortable at my numbers....

if you feel comfortable at your numbers, keep it there.

if you feel comfortable at your numbers, keep it there.

Apparently about 90rpm is an optimum cadence.

So if you feel comfortable at 75 you would lose out. Initially a higher cadence is very uncomfortable at first but if you keep at it you get used to it.

Most cyclists have a too low cadence.

Edited by porqui

Interesting topic this. When i spin at the gym i am around 90rpm, but on my bike i am on 80rpm. Would be nice if someone that has been cycling for a while could way in.

Cadence is personal and there is no Holy grail on what is good and what is bad. Typically for intensity type sessions and situations 80+ is ideal and correct. when doing torque work 30-60rpm is perfect dependant on duration, strength and skill. 

If someone tells you you "must" use "X" cadence cause that is what Lance, Sagan, Piet Pompies does, ride away from them.

Apparently 90rpm is an optimum cadence.

So if you feel comfortable at 75 you would lose out. Initially a higher cadence is very uncomfortable at first but if you keep at it you get used to it.

Most cyclists have a too low cadence.

No they don't, they have a cadence that is comfortable to them. There is no optimum and 90 definitely isnt it, neither is 75, 80 or 110rpm. 

No they don't, they have a cadence that is comfortable to them. There is no optimum and 90 definitely isnt it, neither is 75, 80 or 110rpm. 

There is a bit more science behind it. Plenty of studies too.

Do a bit of navorsing you might just be surprised.

Edited by porqui