Is selling on the classifieds becoming more difficult?

M L

South African Economic Times   

384 members have voted

1. 1. Are you finding it increasingly difficult to sell things on the classifieds?

• I sell things quickly and easily - it seems people have money
    • I sell things fairly quickly
    • I find it rather difficult to sell things - I struggle to sell and get low ball offers

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Still so many "I'd like to buy/collect" followed by nothing but silence.

But just go ahead and sell to somebody else, and suddenly you're a terrible seller. LOL :D

Edited by Thomo

Still so many "I'd like to buy/collect" followed by nothing but silence.

But just go ahead and sell to somebody else, and suddenly you're a terrible seller. LOL :D

I am on the opposite side of things here. I am looking at buying a new bike so I have scoured through the classifieds and found a few that interest me. So, I have sent emails as well as messages to the guys selling but I dont get responses. 

I had A seller send me A waybill from postnet for the item I bought from him

So apparently they also back in business

I had A seller send me A waybill from postnet for the item I bought from him

So apparently they also back in business

Jip, another Hubber also sent me something with them yesterday.

I am on the opposite side of things here. I am looking at buying a new bike so I have scoured through the classifieds and found a few that interest me. So, I have sent emails as well as messages to the guys selling but I dont get responses. 

Try picking up the phone and calling, works every time.

That is not meant to sound insulting, just a reality. Mails and messages are easily missed in daily life and once its down the list it is never seen again.

Try picking up the phone and calling, works every time.

That is not meant to sound insulting, just a reality. Mails and messages are easily missed in daily life and once its down the list it is never seen again.

not everyone lists a phone number though

Saw this yesterday on Netwerk24 - a lot of confusing going round..

attachicon.gifUntitled courier.png

Actualy NO "confusion" ....

When reading the FULL Gazette it is clear that only goods that may be bought under that level of lock-down may be sent by courier.

We distribute documents via a big courier company.  They have taken the responsible (and legal) route, provide us with your essential services documents (show us that your goods may be sold under the current level) and we will distribute it.

More and more companies are performing services outside the approved list for the current lock down level .....

I DONT know what items are currently legally sold by bike shops, and why so many other items are cordoned off.  The fact that various large bike shops do NOT sell bikes during Level 4 is enough of an indication that the couriers should not be shipping these at this stage.

But as said above .... companies are starting to look at their bottom line, and starting to do businness outside of the approved lists.  This morning Bokradio went as far as allowing people to post their business details on the radio, including contact details, specifically for businesses that may not be operating under level 4 .... 

the tide is turning .... people are putting survival above "obedience" .....

not everyone lists a phone number though

Thats where I am different.

If the seller couldn't be bothered, or doesn't want to list a number, then it throws up red flags in my eyes.

I want to be able to call the person, at the very least communicate via Whatsapp where it is easier to verify identify, if they have the actual item they are selling, etc.......

Actualy NO "confusion" ....

When reading the FULL Gazette it is clear that only goods that may be bought under that level of lock-down may be sent by courier.

We distribute documents via a big courier company. They have taken the responsible (and legal) route, provide us with your essential services documents (show us that your goods may be sold under the current level) and we will distribute it.

More and more companies are performing services outside the approved list for the current lock down level .....

I DONT know what items are currently legally sold by bike shops, and why so many other items are cordoned off. The fact that various large bike shops do NOT sell bikes during Level 4 is enough of an indication that the couriers should not be shipping these at this stage.

But as said above .... companies are starting to look at their bottom line, and starting to do businness outside of the approved lists. This morning Bokradio went as far as allowing people to post their business details on the radio, including contact details, specifically for businesses that may not be operating under level 4 ....

the tide is turning .... people are putting survival above "obedience" .....

If people died from stupidity those bokradio callers would be some of the front runners

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/403923/santa-cruz-chameleon-carbon2020-custom-build

Look this is super cool but I recon this might be in the top 5 of hardest bikes to sell right now

That's the stuff dreams are made of! The market for that type of bike is very small, the people in that market that can afford that level of build even smaller, and the 1 or 2 that can will probably buy new. I am afraid that bike is gonna sit for a while...