So who has R113 000 to spare?

dev  null

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As some forum members have mentioned, one must analyse content in its relevance to a specific audience. BusinessInsider is not BikeHub. And I’ve enjoyed writing for both.

The departure point for this article was never about the lightest possible wheels, and nowhere was there a claim as such. It was about finding a set of wheels, which had official local distribution, at an invoice price – instead of a mere European online purchase conversion price.

Contextualisation is a crucial aspect of all content. And for an audience which is perhaps not immersed in the cycling word, overly technical comparisons serve absolutely no purpose in lieu of their lower product literacy. Therefore, the MacBook was used as a basis of comparison on weight, because Apple is a celebrated design icon and many business people and marketing professionals used Macs, therefore they possess a reference experience of sorts.

Concerning the weights, a caveat was stated that the individual wheels (front and rear) would tally less than a late model Mac.

If all creative writing and metaphor was an attempt at being literal, the world of content would be a rather boring engineering handbook. Chronicling the human experience would be rather boring without metaphor – and metaphor is never literal. Therefore, seemingly unconventional comparisons are often more powerful and best remembered, linking subconscious familiarity with something new. But we hardly want to disappear down the rabbit hole of linguistics and creative writing.

On the issue of flights. You can certainly fly two people return for just over R100 000, OR Thambo to Hong Kong, or Europe. Not necessarily if you book a 24th of December flight on the afternoon of the 23th, but within reason, the value offering is achievable. Online flight costs and those of service providers into the corporate travel market vary, but I fly regularly enough to know that number is real.

The critique of a Scapel being a gravel grinder in practical purpose? If we took the usage data of all the local Cannondale Scalpel Si-Blacks, and calculated the time spent on singletrack versus jeep track, would it be an unreasonable conjecture to imagine that the gravel road riding might total to a majority of the non-tar mileage? I suspect that could be the case.

Now every oke on Lightweight wheels is going to get bike-jacked in SA :eek:  :eek:

The lightweight disc weighs about the same as as top end deep sections.

35327482_2492747237417869_74046379546283

Bragging rights is expensive & for most cycling stuff, they expire with time.

How light they are and how much they reduce the owner's Argus time is less important.

Edited by Christie

As some forum members have mentioned, one must analyse content in its relevance to a specific audience. BusinessInsider is not BikeHub. And I’ve enjoyed writing for both.

The departure point for this article was never about the lightest possible wheels, and nowhere was there a claim as such. It was about finding a set of wheels, which had official local distribution, at an invoice price – instead of a mere European online purchase conversion price.

Contextualisation is a crucial aspect of all content. And for an audience which is perhaps not immersed in the cycling word, overly technical comparisons serve absolutely no purpose in lieu of their lower product literacy. Therefore, the MacBook was used as a basis of comparison on weight, because Apple is a celebrated design icon and many business people and marketing professionals used Macs, therefore they possess a reference experience of sorts.

Concerning the weights, a caveat was stated that the individual wheels (front and rear) would tally less than a late model Mac.

If all creative writing and metaphor was an attempt at being literal, the world of content would be a rather boring engineering handbook. Chronicling the human experience would be rather boring without metaphor – and metaphor is never literal. Therefore, seemingly unconventional comparisons are often more powerful and best remembered, linking subconscious familiarity with something new. But we hardly want to disappear down the rabbit hole of linguistics and creative writing.

On the issue of flights. You can certainly fly two people return for just over R100 000, OR Thambo to Hong Kong, or Europe. Not necessarily if you book a 24th of December flight on the afternoon of the 23th, but within reason, the value offering is achievable. Online flight costs and those of service providers into the corporate travel market vary, but I fly regularly enough to know that number is real.

The critique of a Scapel being a gravel grinder in practical purpose? If we took the usage data of all the local Cannondale Scalpel Si-Blacks, and calculated the time spent on singletrack versus jeep track, would it be an unreasonable conjecture to imagine that the gravel road riding might total to a majority of the non-tar mileage? I suspect that could be the case.

welcome to the hub (the pleb side at least). Your e-bike article is still getting hits in the biggest circular debate since Pi was calculated to the 20th decimal

this is the part that makes me chuckle .... you would be amazed at the number of scalpels I see doing road work/training....and a real pity toooooo as it is certainly a great bike!

On the issue of flights. You can certainly fly two people return for just over R100 000, OR Thambo to Hong Kong, or Europe. Not necessarily if you book a 24th of December flight on the afternoon of the 23th, but within reason, the value offering is achievable. Online flight costs and those of service providers into the corporate travel market vary, but I fly regularly enough to know that number is real.

what a literate, considered and logical response - no place for that here - in fact as someone who has posted less than 23 000 times I'm sure to be crucified for admiring the rebuttal

A very expensive product is by definition low volume, hence any definition around its demand is relative. I guess Rolls-Rolls and its South African business is an analogy of sorts for this. 

But if you want them locally, you can get them. In both instances (Rolls-Royce and the wheels). Officially. 

Thank you for a detailed reply.

Fair enough, I did some digging, and yes you can, to my surprise, fly OR Tambo to Hong Kong, with Emirates for R51 800 return First Class, so it falls within the R133 000 for two tickets as you stated. I'm impressed.

With SAA, same destination, but Business Class, will set you back R125 500 for two tickets, so I am confident that First Class will push that R133 000 limit. 

So yes, you weren't wrong, but extremely specific with a lot of clauses. 

Your article however states "OR Tambo to just about anywhere you could imagine." 

I imagine flying to Melbourne, it's a great city, have you even been there?

..but unfortunately First Class two return tickets will set you back R134 000, already a R1 000 more than these in-demand wheels. 

Moving along. 

On the issue of the Scalpel, I humbly apologize, I have not seen this usage data of all the Scalpel Si-Black's, mind sharing this with us or a link where it can be obtained?

Lots of us are in IT/Data and would love to see this and possibly other brand and model usage data. I did not even know this exists, how do they even obtain it?

Again, thanks for the reply! (no Comic Sans used)

Edited by karma

Thank you for a detailed reply.

Fair enough, I did some digging, and yes you can, to my surprise, fly OR Tambo to Hong Kong, with Emirates for R51 800 return First Class, so it falls within the R133 000 for two tickets as you stated. I'm impressed.

With SAA, same destination, but Business Class, will set you back R125 500 for two tickets, so I am confident that First Class will push that R133 000 limit.

So yes, you weren't wrong, but extremely specific with a lot of clauses.

Your article however states "OR Tambo to just about anywhere you could imagine."

I imagine flying to Melbourne, it's a great city, have you even been there?

..but unfortunately First Class two return tickets will set you back R134 000, already a R1 000 more than these in-demand wheels.

Moving along.

On the issue of the Scalpel, I humbly apologize, I have not seen this usage data of all the Scalpel Si-Black's, mind sharing this with us or a link where it can be obtained?

Lots of us are in IT/Data and would love to see this and possibly other brand and model usage data. I did not even know this exists, how do they even obtain it?

Again, thanks for the reply! (no Comic Sans used)

Wow, you are full of cr@p!

Clearly this article is not for you, and the writing style is not to your liking.

I enjoyed it, as I understood that the target audience is not cycling fanatics, who could probably not care less about the tech specs of the wheels.

How do you know someone has a Mac Book Pro? 

They will tell you long before you ever even dreamed of asking...

Wow, you are full of cr@p!

Clearly this article is not for you, and the writing style is not to your liking.

I enjoyed it, as I understood that the target audience is not cycling fanatics, who could probably not care less about the tech specs of the wheels.

Hey man, sorry you feel that way.

I am really just having a conversation with Lance, a bit of back and forth on some things.

If Lance is ever in Cape Town I'd even buy him a beer.  

what do think these wheels will cost in 1 year's time?  The speed of technology and associated cost reduction formula these days is so fast

Hey man, sorry you feel that way.

I am really just having a conversation with Lance, a bit of back and forth on some things.

If Lance is ever in Cape Town I'd even buy him a beer.  

you buy me a beer and you can call me whatever you want  :whistling: