Breaking News: Cycle Lab Acquires Chris Willemse Cycles

fanievb

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This news is like a solid kick in the nuts.

Ive had a few niggly issues with 2 separate Stans wheels of late and dealt with Chris Jnr on getting it fixed. On the ball, gets stuff done and sorted.

My Local bike shop is 1200km away from home.

Cycle Lab Fourways is a 5 minute drive.

Its easier for me to deal with a solid business 1200km away as opposed to a fleecing store 5 minutes away.

Cycle Lab cannot even price a coffee competetively at the mega store, I cant stand that place.

This deal will make cycling end up like golf.

As per FB posts, current management is staying on. And i dont think alot will change while they are still steering the ship but once that period ends, give it a year or two it will just be another CL.

I don’t think anyone is bleak with a Oom Chris cashing out after working his butt off for years, think it’s more who it was sold to, a business with very different ethos.

Will be interesting to see how unfolds.

Exactly my thoughts, and it's a proper family business now too.

Was always hoping CWC would take the plunge and open up in Joburg. Maybe this will still happen after the restrain lapses and the lab has stuffed it up opening the gap again.

My view, people will bitch and moan about it because then they feel they "doing" something, but the transaction has been concluded and complaining is to what end?  How is that adding to the conversations?  What is the point to say I am not going to shop there anymore? 

Is it not better to rather to indicate that you had / did not experience good service at CWC and what it is that you hope the new owners will continue, be that: 

- the proper sales will continue 

- maintain their presence & communication lines on bikehub

- continue to support local events

- good value for money offerings

- wide range of product ranges

- services (including people that are empowered to make a decision on a warranty, replacement, discount, etc)

- sales force that know the products

- quick turn around on online purchases

- are they going to keep the separate brands and for how long

- what will happen to the warranties

- etc.

We don't yet know what arrangements / agreements were reached, and maybe they will take the best from CWC and CL and combine it into something better than the individual companies.  Or maybe it will be a classic example of an acquisition not working.  And luckily there always remain other options, some might not be as convenient, but there are. 

Lastly, what I am trying to say, some people might want to feel like they "doing" something by claiming they will never shop there again, but not all of them will follow through and might still rock up there to go find something that they need. 

My view, people will bitch and moan about it because then they feel they "doing" something, but the transaction has been concluded and complaining is to what end?  How is that adding to the conversations?  What is the point to say I am not going to shop there anymore? 

Is it not better to rather to indicate that you had / did not experience good service at CWC and what it is that you hope the new owners will continue, be that: 

- the proper sales will continue 

- maintain their presence & communication lines on bikehub

- continue to support local events

- good value for money offerings

- wide range of product ranges

- services (including people that are empowered to make a decision on a warranty, replacement, discount, etc)

- sales force that know the products

- quick turn around on online purchases

- are they going to keep the separate brands and for how long

- what will happen to the warranties

- etc.

We don't yet know what arrangements / agreements were reached, and maybe they will take the best from CWC and CL and combine it into something better than the individual companies.  Or maybe it will be a classic example of an acquisition not working.  And luckily there always remain other options, some might not be as convenient, but there are. 

Lastly, what I am trying to say, some people might want to feel like they "doing" something by claiming they will never shop there again, but not all of them will follow through and might still rock up there to go find something that they need. 

Hi. All I see are folk, like you and I, expressing their opinions on a cycling related public thread. So, while I agree with some of what you have said and may not agree with others, aren't we all free (well, relatively free :-) to say what we want really? I am actually enjoying reading the wide range of opinions :-). Have a great day!

Edited by GaryP

"The best price (we will not be beaten on price!)"

Hold them to this. :)

Yeah no... if you can afford to drop your price after I get quotes your price was too high to start with. Either give me the best price from the start or don't.

It's not CL's prices that have put me off though - it's been my numerous bad experiences, but that's not what this thread is here for, so let me not go down that road.

I hope the likes of EvoBikes use this opportunity - if they play their cards right they can make this count in their favour with certain clients.

Being on call, I was lying awake this morning and was thinking about a bicycle I want to buy. Its kinda oldish, but not yet retro'ish.

And then I nearly had a heart attack.

Can someone with connections, please ask Chris jnr or senior, if the sale included all those beautiful cool bikes on display at the Tygervalley shop?

Because if they do, I hope Chris doubled the price. Man those bikes are stunning!

no skin off my back.

I have not/will not support either of these giants.

So far, I have had superior service, and stock availability from the smaller local guys in my area.

For the bigger stuff, I have not been able to source local equivalents in terms of pricing and once again stock availability. Online is the way to go, I get exactly what I want without the need for vaseline.