The Veganism Thread

Odinson

actually not.That's the exact opposite of what will happen. All the cow and pig feed they use causes famine especially in poor African countries. That food can feed way more people than what their meat can feed people

FFS, please go read the facts before regurgitating this drivel. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a quick go at some black bean patties last night. Not bad, in hindsight I should probably have added more onions/peppers to make it more crunchy. But flavor wise it was almost there. Not vegan though, added an egg and it was fried in some glorious homemade butter.

post-734-0-94383200-1573119867_thumb.jpg

You arent exactly the typical South African I was referring to are you?

Most people eat meat daily and my comments were directed at them.

The second point about not eating "good" red meat, honestly you would have had to have your head in the sand for the last few years to not have seen all of the medical advice from the heart foundations etc etc about that. There is no good red meat, the methods of slaughter dont make a difference other than for religious reasons.

Im not trying to convince anyone about anything, we all need to make our own choices on what is right and wrong.

are those the same heart foundations that put their logo on breakfast cereals and margarine?

Edited by MTBeer

Im not sure anyone would die of hunger or any economies would crash.

The reality is that everyone, regardless of beliefs should be cutting down on their meat intake.

The health benefits, impact to the environment and savings on food cost should be reason enough.

There is also the flipside of just exploring other ways of cooking and food that doesnt revolve around the meat. My wife and I started just by exploring ways to cut down on meat consumption, the dishes she came up with were so good that we just stopped eating meat altogether. 

So really what Im trying to say is that aside from the moral aspects its nice to just try different things, you may end up enjoying it.

After watching the Game Changers on Netflix we have cut down our meat consumption. 

We still have meat but some nights we only have vegetarian. I am sure it will slowly increase. Never been a huge meat fan. Don't like to think about the process of it all.

And have been avoiding milk more often now. Get blocked up sinuses anyways. 

Edited by Let's Ride

So, in an effort to gain some vitality and energy i thought to cut out meat for a period to see if there are differences. I have been on a meat free diet for 2 weeks save for a boerie roll on saturday prior to the rugby match. I continue to eat cheese and eggs. my wife bought tofu and I been eating more cashews and Brazilian....cos I love Brazilian, no seriously. 

And yes, this is not scientific, its anecdotal at best just my experience. That said herewith my observations, nothing more, nothing less. 

I seem to sleep better , I can only put this down to my gut aint working as hard to digest food. 

my RHR has dropped about 8 %. There could of course be a number of reasons for this however if I am sleeping better then I am more rested and RHR would drop. (from 46-48 to 42-44) 

I do feel better, even though I have not lost any weight I feel as though I have. 

My morning constitutional seems more regular and consistency is consistent. (haha) 

I have noticed no difference with my mighty erections. 

early days, and there could be a host of reasons for the upsides mentioned but its worth pursuing for another 2 weeks and re-evaluate. 

So, in an effort to gain some vitality and energy i thought to cut out meat for a period to see if there are differences. I have been on a meat free diet for 2 weeks save for a boerie roll on saturday prior to the rugby match. I continue to eat cheese and eggs. my wife bought tofu and I been eating more cashews and Brazilian....cos I love Brazilian, no seriously.

And yes, this is not scientific, its anecdotal at best just my experience. That said herewith my observations, nothing more, nothing less.

I seem to sleep better , I can only put this down to my gut aint working as hard to digest food.

my RHR has dropped about 8 %. There could of course be a number of reasons for this however if I am sleeping better then I am more rested and RHR would drop. (from 46-48 to 42-44)

I do feel better, even though I have not lost any weight I feel as though I have.

My morning constitutional seems more regular and consistency is consistent. (haha)

early days, and there could be a host of reasons for the upsides mentioned but its worth pursuing for another 2 weeks and re-evaluate.

Mighty erections are all that really matter man.

That's a super low RHR!

I can only assume you are incredibly fit. If that is the case, the fact that you're coming off a "High Base" and you're able to discern some real positive changes, this should be good news for people coming from a low base (said unfit) and moving to plant based.

Would be interesting to see how your cholesterol and BP levels have been impacted.

What about aches and pains and have you noticed any effect on DOMS after workouts?

That's a super low RHR!

I can only assume you are incredibly fit. If that is the case, the fact that you're coming off a "High Base" and you're able to discern some real positive changes, this should be good news for people coming from a low base (said unfit) and moving to plant based.

Would be interesting to see how your cholesterol and BP levels have been impacted.

What about aches and pains and have you noticed any effect on DOMS after workouts?

Has to google that DOMS, learn something every day. I have not really felt any change in that, but to be honest not really thought about that.  

My BP has always been in the sweet spot , and cholesterol a lil high. I have not tested these prior to start so cannot comment. 

As to RHR, would not say I am super fit, but I do run, cycle and swim a bit. 

All processed food..meat or vegan is bad for you.. end van prent.

Also bleh those burgers that you buy in a box from a store are crap..bleh, make it from scratch of you really want a burger.

Speaking of

Does anyone on here have a tried and tested Vegan burger patty recipe.

My wife does, its amazing. I will ask her for the recipe.

FFS, please go read the facts before regurgitating this drivel.

If you can give me an article to claim that I'm wrong then be my guest. I don't make this stuff up. I don't suck this stuff out of my handlebar. Go Google how much of our corn and grain goes into cow feed, FFS.

60% of all our crops goes to animals. And I regurgitate my facts?!?

And just think how much water is used for all those crops.

If you can give me an article to claim that I'm wrong then be my guest. I don't make this stuff up. I don't suck this stuff out of my handlebar. Go Google how much of our corn and grain goes into cow feed, FFS.

If you make a claim it is on you to back that claim up with evidence, not for someone else to disprove you - that's how any sort of coherent person argues their case. You will still learn this at varsity I hope.

It may be true - but back up your statements with something. 

I may not agree with Odinson on 50% of what he says here, but he at least provides (sometimes questionable) evidence, take a page from his book.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

How much?

60% to livestock and 40% to biofuels. Basic math will tell you that there is nothing left for humans to consume, thats why we eat meat. Trust me, I had Encarta.