Dear mountain bikers.. from trail runners

Chris_

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can actually trump you... I was riding down and came across a guy walking his dog up the berm line. I'm also pretty sure that trail is sign posted, but yeah, there's always one...

That's why I'm super chilled on the spruit - running, cycling, it doesn't matter... I don't care about strava segments or who's right and wrong out there, I'm just careful, respectful to the max, give everyone and everything a massive wide berth and just enjoy being outdoors and catching some fresh air and rays.

Some proper trail education might actually help (there are already big boards at most entrances though)... so can't see much changing in my life time. I mean we still can't get most dog walkers to pick up their dogs business with supplied bags... so yeah, people will be people :blush:

Ja man... Me to the spruit/ all my rides are just a lekker cruise. But the tree line is fun and flowy, the only place I like to go a little faster than usual.

Yesterday dumbass trail runner running down the new berm line with earphones in, idiot when there is a wide runable line not dedicated to cyclists

This!! On that particular piece of trail makes me defooking moer in so much!! Jis I am getting irritated just thinking about it!

Seems to be an epidemic, trail runners with earphones having a preference for the dedicated mtb trails, particularly the berm line!

I have learnt to steer well clear of the Spruit though on a Sat morning as strong likelihood of running into (excuse the pun) one of the park runs ie either Riverside or Delta Park - horrid I tell you, it's like being attacked by a pack of lemmings!

Seems to be an epidemic, trail runners with earphones having a preference for the dedicated mtb trails, particularly the berm line!

I have learnt to steer well clear of the Spruit though on a Sat morning as strong likelihood of running into (excuse the pun) one of the park runs ie either Riverside or Delta Park - horrid I tell you, it's like being attacked by a pack of lemmings!

I have been caught up in a Park Run a couple of times and now I just ride slowly and greet the hotties !!

The slower of the two should just make their presence know to the other and ask to pass/make way/restrain their dog. It's not that difficult. 

Learnt this the hard way the other day when I 'sneaked' pass some geyser walking his big ass German Shepherd and the pooch didn't take to kindly to me and got in a good couple of bites of my quad and knee. 

You probably deserved it.  :whistling:

I encountered a runner going up a trail - we were going the correct way down, to be told - a bit of a warning would be nice!...surely if you are opposing the flow on a tail you should be more aware of bikers coming down....?

Ditto for MTb riders on the trail. I had a close call after I shouted passing right but the rider couldn't hear me thanks to his earphones. He unwittingly drifted across and I just managed to brake in time. I pointed out that I had no way of knowing that he had earphones on as they were covered by his buff. He told me that I was an idiot for trying to pass him on a jeep track, I just smiled and rode on. Lifes to short for arguing with fools.

In my humble opinion and from personal learning experience over the years, the problem is only one person: you yourself. So unless we all (except those that have already, but I really think it's only the Dalai Lama), take a step back, wisen up a bit, leave the ego (entitlement) behind and be empathetic, courteous and friendly at all times then these incidents (as also the Jonkerhoek beat down in another thread), will keep happening more and more frequently. More and more people around, more "touching" areas due to our society's stresses (and yes, Saffas have very high stress levels!). Very short fuses abound.

Bottom line we are all guilty of: whether behind the wheel of the car, bike, on foot, on horse, donkey, we all think we are mostly in the right and entitled to our course of action, and if somebody so much as dares to step out of line, they are "shot down". Most incidents really boil down to some form of misunderstanding or miscommunication.

I also do all forms of sport (not so much running), but just a friendly suggestion: use common sense in your actions, or if unsure, educate yourself on etiquette and rules.

For example, to my dear runner friends (whether alone or in a group), if a person is approaching at a (hopefully only slightly) higher speed (front or back), don't start jumping all over the place - as in cycling, hold your line and continue normally. Dogs are unpredictable.

There are many more examples, but thanks for pointing out some things again OP. May we all continue learning and adjusting.

And yes, I'm still busy applying these and fail sometimes. Apologies to all.

I'm with you here, OP. All i can add is KEEP LEFT! Too many times I've been pushed off the jeep tracks on Table Mountain when running by mtbers riding in groups across the whole road or riding on wrong side of road.

Be aware those that do have bells (like I do) that some of the older generation are tone deaf to the frequency of the bell - they DO not hear your bell.

BTW bells are compulsory on bicycles (so are reflectors)

My favourite in the greenbelts is when you are approaching a walker/runner from behind and, in as friendly a voice as you can, you say, "Passing on your right." and they promptly step to their right... :blink:  :lol:

It's called a trigger movement followed closely by a bowel movement. :eek:

It's called a trigger movement followed closely by a bowel movement. :eek:

Yeah, that's the other funny one... You come up behind someone who's blocking the path, you've slowed down to almost a stop and say, "Excuse me..." and they do this ninja-like leap and spin round with a look of sheer terror on their face... and then look a bit sheepish when they realise you're not about to ride them over! :lol: