#4 EVERESTING 4 DAYS, WORLD RECORD ATTEMPT! #1 @BAINES & @OU KAAPS. #2 CHARITIES.

CatzSpace "frail"

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Next time don’t use the phone app to record. Please use a garmin or even better use two

This may be a challenge in itself .... he would need a device with more than 24 hours battery life ...

As someone who is half-thinking of exploring an Everest, this thread and the thread covering Paul vZ's attempt has been v useful. Many valuable learnings related to preparation. There's also a lot of useful info on the everest website and elsewhere on devices, battery life etc.

Maybe I can dream a little longer...

This may be a challenge in itself .... he would need a device with more than 24 hours battery life ...

Most of them charge very quickly so can you not give it a quick charge while you rest? I've never tried but it might stop recording if you do that - just an idea.

Most of them charge very quickly so can you not give it a quick charge while you rest? I've never tried but it might stop recording if you do that - just an idea.

most if the newer edge units, can charge while using the device

the older units (500) needed an OTG cable hack otherwise it would switch off as soon as the charging cable is connected.

Garmins reset when put on charge but you can get an on-the-fly charging cable cable and use a powerbank.

But that is even more weight to lug up Everest ....

Would it be acceptable to use 2 different units?  Record with one while the other is on charge, swop out and your backup team loads to the cloud and charge again ....

Hello Everyone

Please understand the Disappointment and Frustration, I am going Through.

I will be Writing a ride Report shortly.

I am Planning to cycle a Second attempt to Everest.

I have selected a new Location, more centralized around Cape Town.

Date is yet to be Finalized.

I Want To Thank Everyone for the Support and encouragement for this past weekend.

Thank You

David

Hi, what was the verdict for the total elevation gain of round 1?

But that is even more weight to lug up Everest ....

Would it be acceptable to use 2 different units?  Record with one while the other is on charge, swop out and your backup team loads to the cloud and charge again ....

I don't know. Have a look at the Everest website perhaps...

Could look at one of the new Bryton or Lezyne GPS's? For example, the Lezyne mega XL claims up to 48 hours, that should be more than enough for any of the insanely impressive challenges Frail does (it is a bit bulky and not entirely cheap, of course).

Edited by HdB

I use the Lezyne Super - I got it for my Everest mainly for the 24hr claimed battery life.  In real life, I've had it recording for 25 hrs (not during Everest - that was a mere 22hrs) and still managed to upload when the ride was finished. Great little unit which has all the functionality you could want. 

It also doesn't turn off when you plug a power bank into it like a Garmin does without the special cable.  This means I can plug in a little power bank (I use a Red-E Compace 5000mah since its small and does the job) without fear of losing my ride if needed.  This can just sit in a top tube bag for a lap or two and you'll be all set again.  I doubt it weighs more than 100g and you only need to carry it while you're charging so I highly doubt it would slow anyone down at all. 

Garmin has a battery pack that fits on Garmin mount to provide charging while riding. The cheaper alternative is the cable hack with a standard powerbank. AFAIK it has to be recorded on one device as one ride. Using two devices will upload seperate activities.

post-13716-0-21979900-1556613562_thumb.jpg

post-13716-0-07368300-1556613580_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cippo

carry a battery recharge pack like for the cellphones and recharge while riding