Stuff you learn(t) the hard way by being your own mechanic

anybody seen george?

Remember, "Right is Right, Left is Wrong".

And you need to focus if the bike is in an upside-down position, you can get confused very quickly, which allot of bikes are when home-mechanics work on them without a bike-stand...

I've found the way that works for me to remember is, with the bike on its wheels, and the Allen key/spanner perpendicular to the ground but sticking above the crank, towards the back of the bike is loose, and towards the front is tight. Both sides.

I usually like to have the arm horizontal to the ground but pointing to the front. That was a I can get leverage by holding the back brake and no holding on crank arms needs to take place.

Might help someone avoiding a strip.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or when trying to remove a stubborn pedal. Something that helps is to have the chain on the biggest chainring - it offers some protection. Using a wrench with a long lever helps and if it's really stubborn, giving the wrench handle a whack with a hammer can help - the sudden jolt seems to work. Of course you need to be loosening it in the correct direction as well ;)

The thread is in the opposite directio to the power stroke when actually pedalling. So if you work out which direction you would move the wrench to backpedal the crank, then this will loosen the thread.

In my experience most grazed knuckles result from using too short a wrench (or a multitool). You just have to learn to think through the follow through your hand is going to do when the pedal releases.

Patience .... and being methodical is really also all one needs for a good bleed on a set of Avids.

You forgot YouTube

Add to only attempt that job on a full moon and in the middle of a pentagram drawn in brake fluid !  ;)

Add to only attempt that job on a full moon and in the middle of a pentagram drawn in brake fluid !  ;)

you clearly do not have patience :P

I never liked the idea of hammering a new crown race onto a fork with some oversized piece of pipe as the driver. Even less the idea of trying to pry the crown race off again with a screwdriver should you choose to change your headset. So I was very pleased to see Hope eventually produced a crown race with a split in it - so you can fit it and remove it by hand.

So now when I fit a crown race I cut the ring open with a hacksaw and put it on by hand. Haven't seen a downside to this yet.

Righty tighty lefty loosy, but LEFT pedals are opposite.

leftist bastards...soon we'll have to refer to them by some other name cause they can't figure out what they wan't to be.... 

Edited by morneS555

I've found the way that works for me to remember is, with the bike on its wheels, and the Allen key/spanner perpendicular to the ground but sticking above the crank, towards the back of the bike is loose, and towards the front is tight. Both sides.

This is my method too.  Simple and effective.  

The ball end of an allen key is only get bolts snug and not for tightening. When they snap off, they are a ball-ache to get out the allen cap hole!!!!

attachicon.gifBall-End-L-Hex-Wrench.png

haha this reminds me of a time i tried getting a bolt out at a track one day and it was at an angle (what they are meant for too) and a bit "snug"....ended up snapping mine's head off as you say....then proceeded to borrow one out of the Snap-On toolbox from the guys pitting next to us.....and broke that too LOL. oops

Edited by morneS555

Youtube is dangerous. Read the manual.

You professionals...where's your sense of adventure? Wouldn't have this thread if everyone read the manual  :thumbup:

Youtube is dangerous. Read the manual.

The nice thing about Youtube is that if all goes wrong one can always share the link with the LBS when you bring in a box of parts and ask them to just quickly fix this for you while you wait ... the link will help them see just how you went wrong :)

The nice thing about Youtube is that if all goes wrong one can always share the link with the LBS when you bring in a box of parts and ask them to just quickly fix this for you while you wait ... the link will help them see just how you went wrong :)

I remember trying to replace a shifter cable once back in the day. I literally took a little box full of screws and springs, they laughed and did the job.....