Stuff you learn(t) the hard way by being your own mechanic

anybody seen george?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some chain links identify in mysterious ways :ph34r:  

You mean this method may cause unexpected stiffness elsewhere in the chain?

Quick question, how do you deal with a stiff link in the chain? I don't want to do something that would potentially weaken it.

If the link is stiff after you broke and reassembled the chain, it may be that its being "clamped" together. If that's the case, insert an allen key into the gap between the links and rotate it. The across-flats portion should just-just enter the link so that when you rotate it the increased across-corners size will expand the link slightly.

This worked for a buddy while we were riding the 'baviaans as a roadside repair at least.

I have a weird thing for manuals. When my wife got a new car, I used the manual for some light bedtime reading material.

I also have a drawer in my workshop with all the manuals that I got with my bikes, and all the pdfs I printed down the line.

You're vegan right?  Or at least you do crossfit.........

I have a weird thing for manuals. When my wife got a new car, I used the manual for some light bedtime reading material.

I also have a drawer in my workshop with all the manuals that I got with my bikes, and all the pdfs I printed down the line.

Sure sign that you are either a Land Rover owner or a potential Land Rover owner*… :-)

*Well, in the old days anyway when Land Rovers were still...ummm... Land Rovers.