Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

I'll be branded a misogynist if I respond in kind.

Yes in this day and age one cannot have a sense of humour if it offends even one person - I had to think hard before posting this handsome chap and couldn’t leave a comment to go with it

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sho, okes are getting serious racing withdrawal and are on edge on the keyboards! Okes need some almond flat whites and a croisant.

Ag nee man .... it is FRIDAY .... bring out the pitchforks and the mob .....

fatigue is real, and we all need some normality again ..... sadly this may take some time ..... 

for now the odd commute and solo trail has to fill the gap ....

My 2c is that it won’t happen this year.The date they are proposing we’ll be coming out of lockdown from the 3rd wave(not joking).

looking at the vaccine plan the normal healthy population won’t see it this year that’s for sure.

May this be my most naive hopeful post of the year .....

MediClinic is already busy with the admin for their staff for vaccination in a "few weeks".  (significant number refusing it being a totally different topic)

India is already producing some 50 million units of the vaccine per month, and gearing up to produce 100 million per month.  This should go a long way to addressing stock issues.

Surely the other manufacturers will also be pushing large volumes into the market ....

So "stock" should not be an issue for too long ....

"distribution" .... interesting little challenge ..... many options for those medical aids, apparently some 8 million (one weeks worth of supply from India).  Medical aids KNOW that early vaccination is good for their bottom line, so I am very hopeful that they will make sure systems are in place ....

Going to be more interesting for the rest ....

On a related note - Israel has already vaccinated 34% of their population.  At least the first of two injections.  By the time they have reached some 60 to 70% of the population they can start with the second round.  Another couple of weeks, and by mid March Israel will be the real test case for the world to SEE how this actually works ..... noting that with a small population of less than 9 million, they are experiencing a bad second wave at the moment, with more than 10 000 positive cases per day.

I WISH Discovery Health use their international contacts to bring in a boat load, rather a plane load, of vaccines .... time to bypass the non-functional burocracy ...

damn, looking forward to the next "event", riding those lovely trails all around Worcester ..... soon, I hope ....

It CAN be done .....

now to sit back and watch paint dry ....

It can’t unfortunately be done because everything has to go thru government.If private sector were allowed to procure vaccines things would happen a lot sooner.

I currently work in 3 different hospitals ( 2 different hospital groups) and yes they are busy making preparations to start vaccination front line workers in the next few weeks.

The huge problem and elephant in the room is the government timeline.

There are approximately 1.1mil healthcare workers and 1.5mil vaccine doses coming in the first drop.

Taking into account that this is a 2 dose vaccine there won’t even be enough to cover the healthcare workers (excluding vaccines that get lost,stolen or taken ph politicians that jump the que)

The next drop in June is supposed to be for elderly,medically vulnerable,people in prisons and now taxi drivers but some of that will be needed to complete the healthcare workers vaccination.Normal young healthy public end of year.

(
I only see SA been fully covered end 2022 and will continue in lockdown rollercoaster till then.

Unless they of course ask the private sector to get involved.

It can’t unfortunately be done because everything has to go thru government.If private sector were allowed to procure vaccines things would happen a lot sooner.

I currently work in 3 different hospitals ( 2 different hospital groups) and yes they are busy making preparations to start vaccination front line workers in the next few weeks.

The huge problem and elephant in the room is the government timeline.

There are approximately 1.1mil healthcare workers and 1.5mil vaccine doses coming in the first drop.

Taking into account that this is a 2 dose vaccine there won’t even be enough to cover the healthcare workers (excluding vaccines that get lost,stolen or taken ph politicians that jump the que)

The next drop in June is supposed to be for elderly,medically vulnerable,people in prisons and now taxi drivers but some of that will be needed to complete the healthcare workers vaccination.Normal young healthy public end of year.

(

I only see SA been fully covered end 2022 and will continue in lockdown rollercoaster till then.

Unless they of course ask the private sector to get involved.

Given the pressure from civic society that forced government's hand with the current vaccine programme, I can only see the same thing happening with an increased involvement from the private sector. 

We've already seen rumblings from Discovery and the WC Premier. Once the actions from civic groups and media attention gain momentum, they've little choice. 

• 2 weeks later...

CELEBRATE CYCLING IN MARCH WITH THE CAPE TOWN CYCLE TOUR

Pedal 109km in March in the 109-for-109 Charity Challenge or the official Virtual Cape Town Cycle Tour to stand the chance to win prizes from Garmin, Tacx, Powerade, Thule and Oakley.

(Cape Town, 4 February 2021) There is absolutely no need for FOMO – why not join the Cape Town Cycle Tour to celebrate the traditional cycling month of March by entering the official Virtual Cape Town Cycle Tour, presented by Powerade and Wesgro, or the Cape Town Cycle Tour 109-for-109 Charity Challenge.

Organisers of the Cape Town Cycle Tour announced, on 4 February, that despite the postponement of the March 2021 event, due to Covid restrictions, organisers would be offering two new initiatives - the Virtual Cape Town Cycle Tour via the online platform FulGaz Virtual Cycling, and the Cape Town Cycle Tour 109-for-109 Charity Challenge.

Both events will focus around the traditional 109km of the Cape Town Cycle Tour and registered riders stand to win thousands of Rands in prizes from Garmin, Tacx, Powerade, Thule and Oakley, while also receiving acknowledgement for their efforts with a virtual medal and virtual certificate of completion and a listing on the event website.

Cycling enthusiasts are reminded that the Cape Town Cycle Tour normally generates funds for its two beneficiaries, PPA (the Pedal Power Association) and the Rotary Club of Claremont. They in turn support a multitude of worthy charitable causes and cycling related initiatives. Together we can all make a difference!

To be part of the action use the hashtag #cycletour109 on all your social media posts to stand a chance of winning weekly prizes.

Challenge No 1:

The Cape Town Cycle Tour 109-for-109 Charity Challenge

To take part simply enter online from Monday, 8 February at www.capetowncycletour.com and ride 109km or more during the month of March ANYWHERE ANYTIME. We will use Strava to verify all qualifying rides completed. Each participant will get a virtual medal on completion of the challenge, while also and perhaps most importantly, helping raise funds for the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust.

You can get creative and set up fun ways to complete the distance… Like the most elevation in 109km, anyone? Or the greatest number of 109km rides in the month of March? Or simply set yourself the goal of riding the race distance.

Entry donations for the Cape Town Cycle Tour 109-for-109 Charity Challenge cost R109. Be part of the fun and help us to track your antics by using the hashtag #cycletour109 on your social media.

Challenge No 2:

The official Virtual Cape Town Cycle Tour, presented by Powerade and Wesgro

The Virtual Cape Town Cycle Tour, will utilize the FulGaz Virtual Cycling platform, and will take place between March 8-14.  The race will be divided into three stages to make up the traditional 109km route. Filmed on the actual route from a bicycle it is the ideal way to experience the beauty of the Cape Peninsula from the comfort of your own home!

Riders can complete each stage as many times as they wish, at any time within the race window and leaderboards will be regularly updated.

Entry donations for the event start at R200 and include a free one-month subscription to the brilliant Fulgaz Virtual Cycling (Fulgaz.com) virtual platform. Riders can enter from anywhere in the world – and also have the option to donate a little more than the minimum entry donation.

Entries for this virtual challenge open on 15 February at www.capetowncycletour.com.

“While the pandemic continues to affect the lives of so many, we believe that staying healthy, having a goal and challenging yourself safely is more critical than ever,” said Cape Town Cycle Tour director, David Bellairs. “Both our Virtual event and the Charity Challenge offer an opportunity to stay motivated while also raising money for the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust. It’s time to pay it forward!”

For more information, please visit www.capetowncycletour.com.

Yours in cycling.

The Cape Town Cycle Tour Team

CELEBRATE CYCLING IN MARCH WITH THE CAPE TOWN CYCLE TOUR

Pedal 109km in March in the 109-for-109 Charity Challenge or the official Virtual Cape Town Cycle Tour to stand the chance to win prizes from Garmin, Tacx, Powerade, Thule and Oakley.

(Cape Town, 4 February 2021) There is absolutely no need for FOMO – why not join the Cape Town Cycle Tour to celebrate the traditional cycling month of March by entering the official Virtual Cape Town Cycle Tour, presented by Powerade and Wesgro, or the Cape Town Cycle Tour 109-for-109 Charity Challenge.

Organisers of the Cape Town Cycle Tour announced, on 4 February, that despite the postponement of the March 2021 event, due to Covid restrictions, organisers would be offering two new initiatives - the Virtual Cape Town Cycle Tour via the online platform FulGaz Virtual Cycling, and the Cape Town Cycle Tour 109-for-109 Charity Challenge.

Both events will focus around the traditional 109km of the Cape Town Cycle Tour and registered riders stand to win thousands of Rands in prizes from Garmin, Tacx, Powerade, Thule and Oakley, while also receiving acknowledgement for their efforts with a virtual medal and virtual certificate of completion and a listing on the event website.

Cycling enthusiasts are reminded that the Cape Town Cycle Tour normally generates funds for its two beneficiaries, PPA (the Pedal Power Association) and the Rotary Club of Claremont. They in turn support a multitude of worthy charitable causes and cycling related initiatives. Together we can all make a difference!

To be part of the action use the hashtag #cycletour109 on all your social media posts to stand a chance of winning weekly prizes.

Challenge No 1:

The Cape Town Cycle Tour 109-for-109 Charity Challenge

To take part simply enter online from Monday, 8 February at www.capetowncycletour.com and ride 109km or more during the month of March ANYWHERE ANYTIME. We will use Strava to verify all qualifying rides completed. Each participant will get a virtual medal on completion of the challenge, while also and perhaps most importantly, helping raise funds for the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust.

You can get creative and set up fun ways to complete the distance… Like the most elevation in 109km, anyone? Or the greatest number of 109km rides in the month of March? Or simply set yourself the goal of riding the race distance.

Entry donations for the Cape Town Cycle Tour 109-for-109 Charity Challenge cost R109. Be part of the fun and help us to track your antics by using the hashtag #cycletour109 on your social media.

Challenge No 2:

The official Virtual Cape Town Cycle Tour, presented by Powerade and Wesgro

The Virtual Cape Town Cycle Tour, will utilize the FulGaz Virtual Cycling platform, and will take place between March 8-14.  The race will be divided into three stages to make up the traditional 109km route. Filmed on the actual route from a bicycle it is the ideal way to experience the beauty of the Cape Peninsula from the comfort of your own home!

Riders can complete each stage as many times as they wish, at any time within the race window and leaderboards will be regularly updated.

Entry donations for the event start at R200 and include a free one-month subscription to the brilliant Fulgaz Virtual Cycling (Fulgaz.com) virtual platform. Riders can enter from anywhere in the world – and also have the option to donate a little more than the minimum entry donation.

Entries for this virtual challenge open on 15 February at www.capetowncycletour.com.

“While the pandemic continues to affect the lives of so many, we believe that staying healthy, having a goal and challenging yourself safely is more critical than ever,” said Cape Town Cycle Tour director, David Bellairs. “Both our Virtual event and the Charity Challenge offer an opportunity to stay motivated while also raising money for the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust. It’s time to pay it forward!”

For more information, please visit www.capetowncycletour.com.

Yours in cycling.

The Cape Town Cycle Tour Team

any idea what the weather will be like?

I'm going to go on the safe side and cancel the event from my side....just now the wind blows or something.....rather cancel it and spare myself the disappointment.

Think I'll take me couple of randelas and spend them on coffee.  

any idea what the weather will be like?

The fulgaz one will have sweat raining on to the floor. Even with a Safeway headwind. My fulgaz weight is 32kg. #Weightdoping2021

Edited by Duane_Bosch

My guess is that there will be a large number of CTCT regulars who will unofficially ride the course this year. I'd like to do that and I'm hoping that there will be lots of other riders out there to share the pulling. Anyone aware of any loosely coordinated efforts? Date? Time? Routes (assuming that the M3 is out)?