Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

They've given hope of hosting it later in the year but I wonder if that is realistic.

When the event was cancelled because of wind, people asked about the feasibility of an alternative date going forward and all sorts of reasons were given for why it would not be possible.

Why would it be different now.?

I seem to remember they also said something about the calendar is full towards the end of the year so moving it permanently was not really an option without doubling up with 2 popular races on one weekend. 

Valid reason? Excuse? I don't know.

But tbh it is nice having the bigger races(CTCT/947) at the end of the season giving a lot of people time to be "race" fit and not training fit.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They've given hope of hosting it later in the year but I wonder if that is realistic.

When the event was cancelled because of wind, people asked about the feasibility of an alternative date going forward and all sorts of reasons were given for why it would not be possible.

Seriously?

You still bitter about that?

stating the complete obvious here, there is a "slight" difference between postponing an event before you've opened entries and cancelling it after the first few batches are on the road.

Most of the costs to stage the event were already spent.

I think the talk was around moving the race permanently to another date because it seemed that the race date was then permanently under threat of fires and strong winds.

I would assume this year would be a one-off different date and next year will be on March again?

I just wish they could give an indication of when more or less they are looking at, even it comes with 57 caveats. Need to move accommodation, but no idea when to move it to.

October 15

Seriously?

You still bitter about that?

stating the complete obvious here, there is a "slight" difference between postponing an event before you've opened entries and cancelling it after the first few batches are on the road.

Most of the costs to stage the event were already spent.

Also still pissed at the pansies not riding that day.  

I think what Thomo and myself see is a pattern in the organization of risk avoidance.  

So if there is a 1% change of risk they'll avoid it. 

Where as my risk is to loose 100% and that risk is nowhere acknowledge by the race organization.  They are just.....meh....we'll hold it later or meh....we'll cancel.

I don't have time for that and they have lost my participation along with thousands of other people's in the process.  

Life goes on and so no one really cares.  

Edited by Spinnekop

So wait.... amid all this, you still want to plan stuff and think other people should plan stuff, so that it can just be moved/cancelled again (look at the trans Baviaans saga) and everyone can the blame the event organisers again?

If they do put a date on it and things are still pear shaped, you've booked accommodation and flights etc then what?

It is way better to just not commit to anything, stay fit, stay healthy, stay safe and book when things are certain.

I assure you the accommodation places will be super stoked to accommodate you when the time comes. We are having a really tough time as it stands currently and even I, as an accommodation business owner, will tell you not to book now.

Let this thing play out, knowing that CTCT want the CTCT to happen, accommodation owners want it to happen and need your bookings and the cyclists want it to happen, but no one wants to just keep going through the same depressing admin over and over again of cancellations, redundant entries and and and and

So wait.... amid all this, you still want to plan stuff and think other people should plan stuff, so that it can just be moved/cancelled again (look at the trans Baviaans saga) and everyone can the blame the event organisers again?

If they do put a date on it and things are still pear shaped, you've booked accommodation and flights etc then what?

It is way better to just not commit to anything, stay fit, stay healthy, stay safe and book when things are certain.

I assure you the accommodation places will be super stoked to accommodate you when the time comes. We are having a really tough time as it stands currently and even I, as an accommodation business owner, will tell you not to book now.

Let this thing play out, knowing that CTCT want the CTCT to happen, accommodation owners want it to happen and need your bookings and the cyclists want it to happen, but no one wants to just keep going through the same depressing admin over and over again of cancellations, redundant entries and and and and

why you still surprised?

surely you've seen the trend that peeps don't give a hoot about what's happening and just want to live their best life... 

Yes, I also think that 2021 calls for serious flexibility and an attitude to wait, see what happens and then jump to make the most of what it is and whenever it is.

If all else fails, then plan and do your own thing as well as you can. Perhaps a little tour of the back roads with a couple friends? Perhaps your own private Argus in midwinter? (Like Christmas in July!) Perhaps ride around the peninsula dressed like a penguin, sommer on any day of the year and see what reaction you get. Perhaps organize your own troupe of Bar One girls at Smitswinkels on a given Sunday morning?

Come on people, become creative, you don't need someone to make your lives exciting. This year is different, be different!

why you still surprised?

surely you've seen the trend that peeps don't give a hoot about what's happening and just want to live their best life... 

hahahaha Indeed, but it does still amaze me.

I can't quite give up hope yet 

I don't have time for that and they have lost my participation along with thousands of other people's in the process.  

Well exactly, clearly it isn't in the organisers best interest to just cancel an event on a whim because they will pay the reputational price for many years to come. If anything they will bend over backwards to avoid cancelling the event on the day if it is in anyway feasible to hold it. Also exactly the reason they cant open entries now and hope for the best in March 2021.

Also one last thing, the decision to cancel 2017(! jeez time to move on...) wasn't up to the organisers, it was the call of the safety & health authorities of the City of Cape Town who decided conditions were too unsafe to host an event. It has literally nothing to do with riders being pansies or not.

Well exactly, clearly it isn't in the organisers best interest to just cancel an event on a whim because they will pay the reputational price for many years to come. If anything they will bend over backwards to avoid cancelling the event on the day if it is in anyway feasible to hold it. Also exactly the reason they cant open entries now and hope for the best in March 2021.

Also one last thing, the decision to cancel 2017(! jeez time to move on...) wasn't up to the organisers, it was the call of the safety & health authorities of the City of Cape Town who decided conditions were too unsafe to host an event. It has literally nothing to do with riders being pansies or not.

I take my hat off to the organisers that have to make those tough decisions. More than a year of work, negotiations, organising, it's not an easy decision to stop, cancel or postpone an event.

I think what Thomo and myself see is a pattern in the organization of risk avoidance.  

So if there is a 1% change of risk they'll avoid it. 

Where as my risk is to loose 100% and that risk is nowhere acknowledge by the race organization.  They are just.....meh....we'll hold it later or meh....we'll cancel.

Are you actually serious ?  :eek:   :cursing:

YES, a SMALL percentage gets infected, of which a very small percentage ends in hospital ... so "you" feel safe with those odds ....

Please do some actual research of what is happening at hospitals.

Right now those "small percentages" have accumulate to the point where the best medical aid does NOT assure you of a bed, nevermind oxygen nor a ventilator, in a private hospital.  :eek:

Covidiots "going about their business" keeps on spreading this disease !!

Right now I have two friends in the medical field that are in bed with Covid.  One infected her partner, and her kid is staying with the grand parents ... only time will tell if the kid and the grand parents also get it ....  The other friend is waiting to hear if her husband and teenage kid have contracted it from her.

Fact is way too many South Africans refuse to co-operate ....

It is most likely it will be many months before enough SA citizens are vaccinated to make a difference to the numbers.  Until such time none of these events are going ahead.  This may very well result in no mass events well into 2022 .....  I DO hope our government gets their act together and we get back to normality sooner.

I think the talk was around moving the race permanently to another date because it seemed that the race date was then permanently under threat of fires and strong winds.

People were talking about the race date permanently being under threat from fires and strong winds? Who are these people, was this at a breakout room at a flat earth conference, when the chemtrail guru couldn't get his powerpoint to project? Did they all get a Trump pardon?

People really forget this is a charity event, instead they prefer to stomp their feet like a Karen in woolies when the price on a 2l milk is wrong and they want the lower one. If they can pull it off in anyway that would be awesome, FOR THE CHARITIES. if we can have a lekker ride too, then that's a bonus for me.

People were talking about the race date permanently being under threat from fires and strong winds? Who are these people, was this at a breakout room at a flat earth conference, when the chemtrail guru couldn't get his powerpoint to project? Did they all get a Trump pardon?

Well at the time you had 2 events in 3 years cancelled due to "nature". I thought it was a fair request to at least look into possibility of whether there are better dates to host the event?

fwiw I don't have a personal problem with the current timeslot.

People really forget this is a charity event.

I agree with most of what you are saying, except this part above.

A product or service is offered. The fact that the profits go towards charity might act as an additional incentive for some, but there is no need to look down your nose at people who fork over their cash with 100% of their motivation being the product / service that they will receive.