Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

I find slipping in a sneaky lunchtime IDT training ride while Working From Home does wonders for my mental wellbeing. Running on the same PC, so I can keep an eye on any urgent comms from work. ;)

I tend to struggle to fall asleep if I ride after 8PM. This way I can squeeze in a ride and still fall asleep at my normal time.

Yeah there is no working from home for me, my work is too big to bring home :D .

Yeah I also used to struggle to fall asleep after a night session but soon adapted. Now I can ride till 23h00 no problem, shower, bed, asleep quick quick.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

100km ride @ what average speed? In a 30 knot S Easter the windsurfer could average 50kph I reckon.

With a 30 knot SE tailwind, a decent cyclist could get to Langebaan with avg in mid 40's i reckon (I'm assuming it's a tailwind the whole way?). Wind / kite surfers can't go directly downwind (they can but slow), they'd have to zig zag downwind (so even if they were travelling at 50km/h, they would be travelling downwind quite a lot slower than that)

There used to be a downwind windsurfer dash from Blouberg to Langebaan. Would be an interesting race between the bike and the board.

The Standard Up Paddle and Surfski crew still do these downwind dashes weekly. 

With a 30 knot SE tailwind, a decent cyclist could get to Langebaan with avg in mid 40's i reckon (I'm assuming it's a tailwind the whole way?). Wind / kite surfers can't go directly downwind (they can but slow), they'd have to zig zag downwind (so even if they were travelling at 50km/h, they would be travelling downwind quite a lot slower than that)

Ironically, riding perfectly with a tailwind is (can be) a BIG problem ....

The relative velocity between the rider and wind becomes almost nothing .... so you put out a lot of watts to keep the speed, with almost no cooling effect !!  I once did this in hot weather .... It was fun, for a short distance, clocking stupid speeds ...

Very quickly reached "heat exuastion" .... ek was NAAR !!! .... turned into the wind, drank some water, and my core cooled down again. 

Doing it along the West Coast, on a COOL day, it may be "fun" ....  :whistling:

There used to be a downwind windsurfer dash from Blouberg to Langebaan. Would be an interesting race between the bike and the board.

err, really?

I've done the yacht sailing downwinder from table bay to mykonos, and the windsurfer event from langebaan to saldanha.

i think you have the two confused.

Ironically, riding perfectly with a tailwind is (can be) a BIG problem ....

The relative velocity between the rider and wind becomes almost nothing .... so you put out a lot of watts to keep the speed, with almost no cooling effect !!  I once did this in hot weather .... It was fun, for a short distance, clocking stupid speeds ...

Very quickly reached "heat exuastion" .... ek was NAAR !!! .... turned into the wind, drank some water, and my core cooled down again. 

Doing it along the West Coast, on a COOL day, it may be "fun" ....  :whistling:

We made it for this weekend Sunday. 

https://www.strava.com/clubs/21210/group_events/871720 

We going to throw in some Rhodes drive instead of the Highway. Also, its my favourite road. 

Rhodes drive? you mean that thin twisty one with no shoulders blind corners and boy racers revving up their golf 6 when given the smallest of gaps?

I'm going to rather go main road side/wynberg park

Rhodes drive? you mean that thin twisty one with no shoulders blind corners and boy racers revving up their golf 6 when given the smallest of gaps?

I'm going to rather go main road side/wynberg park

Would do that but just too many robots along there.

Will probably have some sort of vehicle following the group to carry spare wheels etc as well.

Edited by Pure Savage

race pace - no stopping ?

Will be decent after Simons Town, before that there are going to be robots etc so racing through there wont be ideal.

No planned stops en route.

Edited by Pure Savage

Will be decent after Simons Town, before that there are going to be robots etc so racing through there wont be ideal.

No planned stops en route.

haha yes of course. I'll see if I can join depending on how the weekend goes, it sounds more appealing than the 10mins seated hill repeats I have in my schedule  ;)

Edited by Jbr