Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you lose it all.

that shitfaced attitude here on the hub and on twitter definitely made them rub more braincells together. Once again, the conviction of desire reams everyone. Worst of all, i feel it for the pooches that need their walk just to be healthy, especially the big breeds.

I think there are going to be some examples made.

Saudi also has some strict repercussions.. 10000SR (about R46k) and/or  20 days in prison.

Edited by Capricorn

Surely that is not enough?

As far as I understand thing, if she is a carrier none of the cleaning will prevent her from infecting the rest of the crew.

You need to distinguish between being infected and carrying it on your hands.

If she (or myself) is not sick and the virus is not in their system, then they are not infected.

If they are not infected, but touched something that has a virus chilling on it, then the virus is probably on her hand.

Coming home and immediately showering cleanses her of the virus on her hand, or maybe on her hair etc.

If she is however infected, then no amount of showering will cure her (this is the bit that Zuma didn't understand,) and she and her family will have to isolate.

This is why cooperation by others is so important. If there are less numpties around, because they stayed at home, then the odds of touching something that has a bit of COVID-19 chilling on it is less. It is also why I'm sanitizing my hands EVERY time when I climb into my vehicle, and start my day off by washing the interior with dettol. To minimize the odds of infecting myself after touching something that someone sneezed on.

This is all blown out of proportion. The numbers are completely skewed because not every one with a snotty nose is being tested. We cannot realistically know that the death rate is as high as stipulated without checking everybody getting a test done.

Yes there is a risk but it is to the elderly. Lock down the ppl who are 60+ and let the rest of us get on with it. The majority of people getting critically sick and dying are people over 60. We can all take the old folks their shopping and whatever they need and leave it on their doorsteps, ring the bell and walk away. This should also not overwhelm the health services because the majority of younger people getting sick will either be asymptomatic or have a mild infection.

That way we still have a workforce in place to keep the economy ticking over as well as allowing the virus to spread which would help in building up herd immunity.

I will (partially) agree with you that the mortality and morbidity numbers are inflated - non-symptomatic carriers are not being tested which skews the data.

The severe morbidity rate and mortality rate in the general population are probably about half of the rates that are being quoted for DIAGNOSED cases. This is supported by the lower rates in countries that have tested extensively.

But even at half the commonly quoted rates, a 10% severe illness rate (hospitalisation), 2.5% very severe illness rate (ICU/ventilation)and a ~1% mortality rate are still nothing to sneeze at (pun intended).

Since you are supreme in your invulnerability as a young person who thinks their risk is very low (sacrifice the older generation, they've had a good life already and they are not economically active anyway?) let me give you a little food for thought.

The pattern of illness that is emerging from Italy and the USA is that the rate of severe illness in younger people is not much different to the older. Their mortality rate is lower because they have better respiratory reserve and less co-morbidities, so tolerate the decrease in lung function better.

While they might survive better, they do end up with lung damage which can take years to resolve, and may be permanent.

So if you think in terms of the risk of maybe not being able to ride your bike again because of lung damage, at the morbidity rates quoted, will that change your attitude?

Edited by montyzuma

Flame suit on.

If I want to go ride by myself with no one else within 2m of me it really should be my own choice. And no I wont be doing anything stupid like going and riding the most technical trails around so the risk of me falling are 0.000001%. It would be on sand roads/single tracks so there is an extremely small chance I will get hit by a car. So chances of me needing a hospital bed are probably the same as me losing my mind and slitting my wrists after 3 weeks.... (joke ppl).... just in case

This is all blown out of proportion. The numbers are completely skewed because not every one with a snotty nose is being tested. We cannot realistically know that the death rate is as high as stipulated without checking everybody getting a test done.

Yes there is a risk but it is to the elderly. Lock down the ppl who are 60+ and let the rest of us get on with it. The majority of people getting critically sick and dying are people over 60. We can all take the old folks their shopping and whatever they need and leave it on their doorsteps, ring the bell and walk away. This should also not overwhelm the health services because the majority of younger people getting sick will either be asymptomatic or have a mild infection.

That way we still have a workforce in place to keep the economy ticking over as well as allowing the virus to spread which would help in building up herd immunity.

This thing isnt going to go away because we all locked down for 21 days. Whats the plan after 21 days? We going to lock out the rest of the world that still has COVID-19? If there is no vaccine and no immunity this is just going to keep coming back.

Fire away people.... :ph34r:

I am in 2 minds here - and yes I want to carry on road cycling - WHY?

1. It was stated keeping fit health boast your immune system and we should keep fit during the corona-virus outbreak. That was reported a few days / weeks back.

2. I expect far fewer cars on the rods during the lock down period - read my profile pic for many years - now I am putting my life is "less" of other peoples hands.

3. Some countries in lock down are allowing cycling other aren't - I hope in RSA cycling is given the green light - as orange lights are confusing!

Currently I see mixed msg from Gov on even walking dogs - RSA Gov need to speak with one reasonable voice!

1. It was stated keeping fit health boast your immune system and we should keep fit during the corona-virus outbreak. That was reported a few days / weeks back.

2. I expect far fewer cars on the rods during the lock down period - read my profile pic for many years - now I am putting my life is "less" of other peoples hands.

3. Some countries in lock down are allowing cycling other aren't - I hope in RSA cycling is given the green light - as orange lights are confusing!

Currently I see mixed msg from Gov on even walking dogs - RSA Gov need to speak with one reasonable voice!

It has been clarified as of the 6pm national address. Going outside for anything other essentials or an emergency could face charges of attempted murder.

No cycling, no running, no walking to dog, no stepping on the pavement to fart, nothing. Shops for food, doc if you sick, other stay ur arse at home.

Edited by Reme Le Hane

did you watch the live address with the ministers from 5pm?. they did

police minister was pretty clear lol. and the health minister went up there to explain why they changed their mind regarding the dog and exercise thing. 

NO BOOZ. NO NOTHING OUTSIDE. DONE

Thank god for Cyril. Clearly he has an excellent brains trust and is listening to them and making sure that some of our more idiotic ministers are doing the same. Now we must obey and our implementation (often lets us down) must be top notch. We're a funny nation. We can f@$k things up royally but we have a knack of coming through at crunch time.

did you watch the live address with the ministers from 5pm?. they did

police minister was pretty clear lol. and the health minister went up there to explain why they changed their mind regarding the dog and exercise thing.

NO BOOZ. NO NOTHING OUTSIDE. DONE

I heard the live address including Health minister round about 14:30 today - one of the headlines then was walking dogs going jogging was OK.

By 17:00 I had to go shopping ....

Thank god for Cyril. Clearly he has an excellent brains trust and is listening to them and making sure that some of our more idiotic ministers are doing the same. Now we must obey and our implementation (often lets us down) must be top notch. We're a funny nation. We can f@$k things up royally but we have a knack of coming through at crunch time.

especially when outsiders and onlookers underestimate us.