Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

Japanese Hiragana

Training indoors or training outdoors, Japanese whisky is still great post ride. 

attachicon.gifWhiskey.jpg

Big pp, sorry could not help the PewDiePie reference. He is also very fond of Japanese Whiskey.

Edited by Andrew_Smith

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried the garden run last night as I like running as an alternative to the IDT. Was keen to see how fun this thing is after a bunch of Strava friends posted their runs.

5km in 30min.

I am not a fan.

All the sharp corners I needed to make were not doing me any good, could feel it while running. I did reverse the route every couple of laps but still didn't feel good.

Don't think I'll do it again soon.

We have a treadmill and I don't enjoy running on that thing, but I suspect I will enjoy it more than this.

Zwift does seem like the best fit for me under the current circumstances.

So it looks like I will be returning to work on Monday and will have all the official documentation to ride in as I don't have a car. It is a 7km trip each way. Normally I just ride to get to work and train afterwards but as I am only allowed to ride from home to work I was wondering if there was anything beneficial I could do on my short commute in lieu of normal training or should I just be grateful I can hopefully pay another month of rent?

So it looks like I will be returning to work on Monday and will have all the official documentation to ride in as I don't have a car. It is a 7km trip each way. Normally I just ride to get to work and train afterwards but as I am only allowed to ride from home to work I was wondering if there was anything beneficial I could do on my short commute in lieu of normal training or should I just be grateful I can hopefully pay another month of rent?

I have to wonder what the official documentation allowing you to ride in to work looks like  :ph34r: (is it different to the normal "permit"?) . I'd be grateful to be getting out yay :clap: .

I have to wonder what the official documentation allowing you to ride in to work looks like :ph34r: (is it different to the normal "permit"?) . I'd be grateful to be getting out yay :clap: .

It is the regular documentation for moving about, only between home and work, and quite a pain in the arse to get but I have no choice in order to scrape a few pennies together. Hopefully keep the lights on and pay next month's wages.

I have to wonder what the official documentation allowing you to ride in to work looks like :ph34r: (is it different to the normal "permit"?) . I'd be grateful to be getting out yay :clap: .

It is the regular documentation for moving about, only between home and work, and quite a pain in the arse to get but I have no choice in order to scrape a few pennies together. Hopefully keep the lights on and pay next month's wages.

My commute is about 5km, with about 80m elevation roughly in the mid part of the ride.

The challenge is that your legs have not warmed up properly for the hills ... so I have to take it easy.  The odd occasion when I had PB rides ... your body feels weird afterwards .... no warm up, hard ride, no cool down ... not a good thing to do repeatedly.

from my experience with these short rides - go out and enjoy the fresh air.

PS - keep that permit close by, at some point you will asked for it.  Try to look like a "commuter", not a CTCT racer, it will draw less attention .... two reports this week on Bokradio about a "CTCT racer" being stopped by traffic police.

I have a non-smart IDT. Ive managed to get up to 2hrs the last few days. Never thought I could. It helps me to divide it up: 35 min warm-up, then 10 X 3 minutes 'hard' / 3 minutes easy. Get through that and the 30 or so minutes of cool down are mentally manageable. I also stand up in the hard segments: sort of ridiculous (don't fall over) but I saw Chris Froome do it via his twitter, so...Anything for some variety. And old Paris-Roubaix or other classics on screen works better for me than music.  I agree it  shows up your bad technique so it's a chance to work on that sort of thing. 

I woke up to pouring rain this morning and decided it was too wet to go for a ride. 

Then I remembered......

I've been making micro adjustments to my cleat position on the left foot as its been bugging me. 

Made another adjustment yesterday and was looking forward to testing it this morning.

My problem is the pain cave is setup under the lappa, but I lock the bike away in the garage overnight.

Both lappa and garage are at least 10m from the house and 10m from each other, by the time I get everything setup under the lappa I'll be drenched in this rain. So I'm waiting for a gap later to do a quick session

I tried the garden run last night as I like running as an alternative to the IDT. Was keen to see how fun this thing is after a bunch of Strava friends posted their runs.

5km in 30min.

I am not a fan.

All the sharp corners I needed to make were not doing me any good, could feel it while running. I did reverse the route every couple of laps but still didn't feel good.

Don't think I'll do it again soon.

We have a treadmill and I don't enjoy running on that thing, but I suspect I will enjoy it more than this.

Zwift does seem like the best fit for me under the current circumstances.

While it’s admirable what people will do to get their running fix, I reckon that there will be spike in running injuries if they people keep doing this without following a process of gradually starting. All those repetitive direction changes could overload muscles and joints in way that they are not accustomed to working.

Even suddenly running long distances on a treadmill if you are not used to it is risky

We have had 42mm of rain during the last 3 days. Not ungrateful for it but I’m tired of the inside.

I went out just now to assess, lawn is like a swamp land, gardens are under water.

I've got a long list of projects I want to do but they mostly require me to be outside.

Trying to make the most of this and trying to be grateful for the comfort and luxuries I have inside the house.

I have a non-smart IDT. Ive managed to get up to 2hrs the last few days. Never thought I could. It helps me to divide it up: 35 min warm-up, then 10 X 3 minutes 'hard' / 3 minutes easy. Get through that and the 30 or so minutes of cool down are mentally manageable. I also stand up in the hard segments: sort of ridiculous (don't fall over) but I saw Chris Froome do it via his twitter, so...Anything for some variety. And old Paris-Roubaix or other classics on screen works better for me than music.  I agree it  shows up your bad technique so it's a chance to work on that sort of thing. 

Have also never stood up on the trainer but have started doing that lately, it helps to relieve the butt a bit, the problem is my head then gets closer to the laptop and I'm worried about getting sweat on it.

I've already moved the Garmin off the bike and onto the table next to the laptop.

Also found having some structure to the workout helps to make the time pass, and the cycling documentaries etc. on the laptop also help.

We have had 42mm of rain during the last 3 days. Not ungrateful for it but I’m tired of the inside.

Our rain water tanks have been empty for just over 6 weeks ....

Please send some of that rain this way.