Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

So it turns out I CAN still get my max HR.

I did a test this morning.

10 min warm up.

The upped the resistance, started on an easy gear and every 5 minutes I went 1 gear harder. Maintaining my cadence throughout.

On minute 29 I upped the cadence by around 20-25 rpm, by minute 30 my garmin indicated 98% of max HR.

Moral of the story, I’ve been slacking.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Moral of the story, I’ve been slacking.

Easy to slack :wacko: . It's particularly sad when Garmin says you're "unproductive". There's also a "detraining" status tag  :eek:

Edited by aquaratza

Easy to slack :wacko: . It's particularly sad when Garmin says you're "unproductive". There's also a "detraining" status tag :eek:

To be fair, I did set out to train 80/20 during the lockdown. But it seems that for the 20 I just didn’t push hard enough.

To be fair, I did set out to train 80/20 during the lockdown. But it seems that for the 20 I just didn’t push hard enough.

What is 80/20?

I did an easyish 2h 20 yesterday. I chose a longish workout on Zwift and off I went. This was the longest ride ito time I've done on Zwift. I honestly thing that was a mistake.

The constant pushing of the same power for 2 hours straight sucked and probably added to the boredom. I should maybe have chosen a distance I wanted to achieve and chosen a flattish course and done that rather. The variety of ups and downs would have kept me more engaged and would replicate a real world ride better. I think I'll try that tomorrow.

Yes I can only train for 10 minutes which is a Max 2 min effort and I have hit my 80-20 for the day

the way I understand it, and I could be very wrong, is that 80% of your rides is easy. I.e. not 80 minutes out of the 100 minute ride but rather 8 out of 10 of your rides are easy rides.

I did an easyish 2h 20 yesterday. I chose a longish workout on Zwift and off I went. This was the longest ride ito time I've done on Zwift. I honestly thing that was a mistake.

The constant pushing of the same power for 2 hours straight sucked and probably added to the boredom. I should maybe have chosen a distance I wanted to achieve and chosen a flattish course and done that rather. The variety of ups and downs would have kept me more engaged and would replicate a real world ride better. I think I'll try that tomorrow.

Erg mode bores me, so do flat rides. 

The Surrey hills route is a good one, so are the mountain routes in Watopia. The surrey hill climbs are all short and sharp for good solid efforts, while watopia has some nice 20-30 minute guys which are long enough to keep you honest but not Alp ish...

The radio mast climb is not a bonus, no matter what they call the loop!

I do workouts no more than an hour in erg mode twice a week and the rest I try to work on my climbing, which needs work, or do a crit race or TT... That Bologna 8km TT was rad!

I just did the Wringer workout on Zwift which is 3/4 of an hour long and had me tasting blood.

205% of FTP for 30 seconds x 12 with 2:30 at 50% reducing by 5 second increments in between.

You start being scared of the glowing arch.

I just did the Wringer workout on Zwift which is 3/4 of an hour long and had me tasting blood.

205% of FTP for 30 seconds x 12 with 2:30 at 50% reducing by 5 second increments in between.

You start being scared of the glowing arch.

Yissis that boy is proper hey? I almost puked the last time i did that. This time I'm going to have a bucket handy. The last few hits you're glaring at your HR but it just won't go down fast enough in the rest phases.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Erg mode bores me, so do flat rides. 

All the okes that have been on Zwift for years must be reading our comments and shaking their heads thinking fkin Joeys!

All the okes that have been on Zwift for years must be reading our comments and shaking their heads thinking fkin Joeys!

hahahaha I don't mind. I've been doing some 'racing' which is exciting and fun.

That Bologna TT was awesome. 

All the guys on level 40 and beyond are awesome... sjoe. That's a LOT of avatar watching!

Had some extra time on my drive to, and back from, the office. Driving slower allowed me to get through a podcast and a half. Both we’re from 25/03, so relatively old news but rather interesting listening.

First one was the Cycling Podcast talking to Jonathan Vaughters. He had a few notable comments. The de-centralized decision making for teams to make rather than the UCI. Losing a UCI-WT license if the teams failed to race the events on the calendar. Also, the decisions they took as a team before pulling everyone out and sent home.

From the show notes:
In this second part of this week's Cycling Podcast, Daniel Friebe speaks to Marco Pinotti, head of performance at Team CCC, and a resident of Bergamo, one of the cities in Italy that has been worst hit by coronavirus.

In the second part we hear from Jonathan Vaughters, boss of the EF Pro Cycling team, who were the first to pull out of the Strade Bianche race a couple of weeks ago, about what the future might hold for the sport once the crisis is over.

https://podcasts.apple.com/za/podcast/the-cycling-podcast/id665713706?i=1000469404602

—————————————————————————

The second podcast is from Mitch Docker (Life in the Peloton) who talks to his coach about having to ride indoors, and in their case... using Zwift.

Some interesting points made by Kevin Poulton, Notch’s coach, are quite insightful and I have certainly learnt a few things about the approach to indoor rides.

One thing that stood out was pedal strokes. On an outdoor ride, we would free wheel coming to intersections, robots, downhills, and the list goes one. On an indoor ride, it’s pretty much pedaling the whole time, which I knew, but how that compares to an outdoor ride. 60 mins at 90 cadence equals 5400 pedal strokes. On an outdoor ride, with the freewheeling, it would easily be in the 3500-4000. So after listening, I decided to check a route I’ve done both indoors and outdoors. The data is at the end of this post. There were a few more tips and advise up to the point when I arrived home. Will listen to the rest tomorrow.

From the show notes:
With so many cyclists now confined to training indoors, Mitch Docker talks to his coach Kevin Poulton about the virtual cycling software Zwift.
Back in 2016, Mat Hayman crashed out of Omloop Het Nieuwsblad and fractured his arm. It looked like his Classics campaign was over but within days he was back training indoors, using Zwift, and less than six weeks later he crossed the line first in the velodrome to clinch victory in Paris-Roubaix.
Poulton was Hayman's coach then but Zwift was still relatively new to him. Since then, Zwift has become an additional tool for professional and amateur riders alike.
This is a podcast Mitch wanted to do anyway, but with so many cyclists restricted to riding indoors because of the coronavirus crisis it seemed like the perfect time to call Kevin and get under the skin of the training tool that combines athletic effort with video gaming.
If you want to know more about Zwift, how the pros use it and how it can help your training, this is the podcast for you.

https://podcasts.apple.com/za/podcast/the-cycling-podcast/id665713706?i=1000469492484

Indoor ride on Rouvy

post-1372-0-89985500-1587583836_thumb.png

Outdoor ride - note the significantly less number of revolutions on the same route.

post-1372-0-26452000-1587583871_thumb.png

Edited by Frosty

One thing that stood out was pedal strokes. On an outdoor ride, we would free wheel coming to intersections, robots, downhills, and the list goes one. On an indoor ride, it’s pretty much pedaling the whole time, which I knew, but how that compares to an outdoor ride. 60 mins at 90 cadence equals 5400 pedal strokes. On an outdoor ride, with the freewheeling, it would easily be in the 3500-4000. So after listening, I decided to check a route I’ve done both indoors and outdoors. The data is at the end of this post. There were a few more tips and advise up to the point when I arrived home. Will listen to the rest tomorrow.

I can vouch for this - after a lengthy winter of indoor training (almost 100% of the time on Zwift), when I go out for ride now I can feel a noticeable difference in my cadence. It is higher and more consistent, and I find myself free-wheeling less as I fatigue slower, and am just so used to pedaling all the time