Introducing Bike Hub Plus

Bike Hub Features

No offens and what I have to say is only feedback, I feel that it's annoying that you want to make more money off of people with a premium. It's a community the people created by joining, yes sure you made the website but so can a 18yr old develop a website like this????‍♂️

It’s late

Let me be reductionist:

Building a website - easy peasy

Hosting a sustainable online community - not easy peasy

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No offens and what I have to say is only feedback, I feel that it's annoying that you want to make more money off of people with a premium. It's a community the people created by joining, yes sure you made the website but so can a 18yr old develop a website like this????‍♂️

Go do it. I mean, prove everybody wrong.

When you have the number of members and ads to match the Hub, I will join your website for R350 a year, pinkie promise.

On your marks, get set goooo!

Should include a power balance bracelet delivered to your door. Being a Bikehub plus premium member would be extra special ????

I don't see ads on the internet...

Maybe I have a charmed life,

Or maybe it is AdBlock Plus, networking wide DNS filtering via Pi-hole using Quad9 DNS servers with DNS filtering and ECS support running encrypted over HTTPS as an upstream DNS provider?

[emoji38]

I was also wondering about these mythical ads they refer to.

We have got a holographic avatar ribbon in the works. Said to make views posted more balanced. ;)

That will definitely blow the bib shorts off bikehub plus premium members ????

Well from what I can see, there are very few who have become bikehub plus members.  So no real need to rant about it as does not seem to be of interest or benefit most.

No offens and what I have to say is only feedback, I feel that it's annoying that you want to make more money off of people with a premium. It's a community the people created by joining, yes sure you made the website but so can a 18yr old develop a website like this‍♂

As others have pointed out, maintaining a website like this takes a lot more work than one 18yr old could manage. In my opinion you could be forgiven for not knowing or understanding that. 

There are some free mtb forums out there, but they all rely on a very rigid and sterile template. eg: tell me you have not seen this forum template in a million other places:

https://forums.mtbr.com/forum.php

Honestly, if you searched for caravaning, plumbing or reliant robin enthusiast forums, you'd probably find the same dull template.

So to do something better, you need more more staff, who'd expect to be paid. So how do you get income from a free online platform?

1. Sell advertising space (pop ups, and have you been on gumtree lately? There are more adds than there is content)

2. Provide sponsored content.

3. Harvest user data (google, and all social media) to sell on to 3rd parties, swing elections and generally just manipulate you - I'd rather sell my soul to the devil.

4. Make it not free - fair enough.

Why are some people so negative?

So much hate being thrown at Matt and Nick and the back office devs for absolutely no reason.

All I can say is that I am really glad I don't have the same disposition as some of you. Sjoe... 

Grass Muncher without the 'Gr'..... pffft

Edited by Jewbacca

I like the idea of having a product good enough that people want to pay to keep it going, even if they can use it for free. For now it is not worth it for me yet, but as they add features it might become one day. 

But for now I will be working against the blatant favoritism to the TdF with my own little Giro profile edit...

I like the idea of having a product good enough that people want to pay to keep it going, even if they can use it for free. For now it is not worth it for me yet, but as they add features it might become one day.

But for now I will be working against the blatant favoritism to the TdF with my own little Giro profile edit...

That is a such a good, objective and fair position ????????

And yes, I would prefer a pink halo too, #TeamGiro

Yet the need to slide in a little snipey post was too strong.

I guess some people feel strongly about it and wanted to voice their point of view.  Granted that comment could have been done a better way or in a more constructive manner.

No offens and what I have to say is only feedback, I feel that it's annoying that you want to make more money off of people with a premium. It's a community the people created by joining, yes sure you made the website but so can a 18yr old develop a website like this‍♂

There is still a free component to this site. Use that if you don't want to pay. I think it is great that there is a premium option for those who want it.

This is a capitalist society (although some politicians may disagree) and if somebody puts in the time and effort to create something like this for people to use, surely that person has the right to charge for its use. 

Also, the monthly fee is cheaper than a burger and much cheaper than a cycling magazine.

Well from what I can see, there are very few who have become bikehub plus members.  So no real need to rant about it as does not seem to be of interest or benefit most.

Agreed, no need to get wound up about it.

You either want to, or you don't

You either like cappuccino or not...

I don't think i have ever used the classifieds and living overseas I'm not likely to either. so initially i thought why should i pay for a forum that has been free for the 15 years I've been a member for?

Then i thought about all the hours I've spent here, sometimes just reading and following topics, sometimes chatting and sharing experiences, pictures etc, sometimes learning something new and sometimes thinking "Agh F*k not again..." sometimes arguing or trolling (depending on your perspective). 

Basically the hub or bikehub has provided a very useful South African connection in my expat life.

So for less than a rond a day, or for the price of 1 x Mugg n Bean Cappuccino PER MONTH, i figured its the least I can do to show my appreciation to Matt and his team.

In my best Pik Botha voice, I state quite categorically...., it had nothing to the special offer of a life long fixed subscription fee to the first 200 subscribers.