Bloody drunkard

NotSoBigBen

Firing someone for being drunk at work is not illegal, not following the right process while firing him is. But I assume you know this. The process is not complicated (same goes for firing someone for poor performance), it's just admin and needs to be followed to the T.

But you are right, this guy's employer would not be able to fire him for this incident. Not at this point anyway...

It depends.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is time to vote alcohol as banned in South Africa. One life lost is one too many. There is just no reasonable justification to keep it around any longer. It destroys families and rips the fabric of society apart. During the lockdown alcohol ban, this country was a different place. Since unbanning it, all hell has broken loose again.

No. Why punish 95 percent of ppl that use alcohol responsibly. Rather punish the culprits effectively.

The situation in za has come about due to lax laws and bribeable officials. Fix the problem.

No. Why punish 95 percent of ppl that use alcohol responsibly. Rather punish the culprits effectively.

The situation in za has come about due to lax laws and bribeable officials. Fix the problem.

While I don't agree with banning alcohol, I don't think 5% of drinkers drink responsibly.

Our culture is broken. I would suggest that 5% of drinkers practice reasonable consumption while the other 95% drink in excess.

Even if you have 5 beers a week, thats 20 beers a month. So while people drink excess of 30 to 60 cups of coffee a month plus 20 beers/alcohols, there is a pattern of addiction there. Reliance on a substance, however you justify it.

It's in our culture, it's in our every day life and it's not addressed.

I saw somebody say thy 'pretend' they are a recovering alcoholic and nobody says anything, but I would bet that LOADS of people actually ARE recovering alcoholics and don't even realise it.

I'm not a banner, but I am pretty certain that the world in general would be better off as a whole without booze.

I have read every post since this thread was started . Why you ask ? I don't know . Suppose because I am a cyclist and despite my advanced years I want to continue to ride my bicycle . Perhaps because I lost 2 club mates killed by a drunk driver on 4 May 2004 . Perhaps because there have been too many posts about the same topic .

Even as a half full glas person , reading about the drinking habits of my fellow South Africans I am convinced that this wil not change . Not in a 100 years I am afraid . In the mind of our Government our safety as cyclists is far away from being a priority .

So if we want to continue riding and not be mowed down , we will have to ensure our own safety . Individually and as a collective .

Edited by Prince Albert Cycles

All about who's in the room. I know if I got smashed at a braai I'm gonna be the odd one out....

But I have been part of friend groups where it's exactly like you say. Needless to say I've moved on. Don't need that in my life.

Don't worry, if you get smashed well make sure you get home safe. Might conspire with your Wifey to pull a prank like tucking you into a bed made in the garage or something harmless, but you will be safe.

I must admit, I'm happy with our friends. Maybe we just managed to mature our alcohol habits when we grew up?

we only have one couple that I think have an unhealthy relationship with drinking. until now I thought it was because they are from Potch. But I realise that it happens no matter if their varsity mates are at the braai, and there are people from every where with bad drinking habits.

The driver should be charged with man slaughter but reality in SA he will get away with a minor fine....SAD SAD SAD!!!!!

Apparently cyclist don’t belong on the road according to B-One Hire Management https://www.facebook.com/1297002101/posts/10222664838471756/?d=n

Just a standard reply from a company .... IF they "offer" to pay their insurance premiums goes through the roof..

I paid a bit of school fees with this a few years back.  Contractor moved a vehicle on a site, and reversed into my vehicle .... Short version - my insurance went after the driver.  Thanks to a brilliant broker they went the extra mile, I got my excess back, and my premiums were reversed to my previous lower rate.

Does NOT make it "right", but just typical of this industry ....

3rd party insurance RAF should cover the riders medical costs, eventually .... good luck trying to get a decent payout for the bike .....

did I mention my disgust for the insurance industry ....  :cursing:

I now only work via a broker, pay my excess, get my stuff repaired\replaced ... then let the broker sort it out .... it takes months, but she works her magic and I get my excess back.

Edited by ChrisF

As for drink driving ....

Friend got caught with a breathaliser, no "biggy", paid his admission of guilt and thought it was over .... Two years later he had 3 or 4 beers, but decided his buddy was sloshed and took him home .... He was involved in an accident .... cops looked at his previous admission of guilt, and threw the book at him !!!  A conviction would have ended his position with his company, not sure they could\would have fired him, but at best he would be demoted and capped for life.  Took months and lots of legal fees, somehow he got away without a conviction.  He has never again been behind a steering wheel after drinking !!

Looking at the younger generation in our family .... They enjoy a glass of wine, BUT, they get a lift to an event and take an Uber back.  And as others have posted above, they KNOW if they call asking for a lift there will be NO guilt trip after the fact.  Rather call and get home safe.  Interesting listening to them about the behaviour of some of their friends ... still way too many driving while sloshed .....

The whole lockdown and no alcohol thing revealed some interesting things about South Africans and how they cant live without alcohol. Buying stupidly expensive black marker booze just seems nuts to me but some people needed their fix.

Im not judging anyone, that isnt my thing at all. I just think that sometimes people need to take stock of the things they do and decide how healthy they are.

As for drink driving ....

Friend got caught with a breathaliser, no "biggy", paid his admission of guilt and thought it was over .... Two years later he had 3 or 4 beers, but decided his buddy was sloshed and took him home .... He was involved in an accident .... cops looked at his previous admission of guilt, and threw the book at him !!! A conviction would have ended his position with his company, not sure they could\would have fired him, but at best he would be demoted and capped for life. Took months and lots of legal fees, somehow he got away without a conviction. He has never again been behind a steering wheel after drinking !!

Looking at the younger generation in our family .... They enjoy a glass of wine, BUT, they get a lift to an event and take an Uber back. And as others have posted above, they KNOW if they call asking for a lift there will be NO guilt trip after the fact. Rather call and get home safe. Interesting listening to them about the behaviour of some of their friends ... still way too many driving while sloshed .....

Sadly it takes consequences of an accident or conviction. And if there hadn't been a big legal process your friend would probably still be driving.

To be fair though.. There was a definite shift about 6 or 7 years ago where a lot of people I know started using taxis and then Uber when Uber started. In fact.. The introduction of Uber has helped significantly with drink driving. Areas that don't have it will see higher prevalence of drink driving

Just a standard reply from a company .... IF they "offer" to pay their insurance premiums goes through the roof..

I paid a bit of school fees with this a few years back. Contractor moved a vehicle on a site, and reversed into my vehicle .... Short version - my insurance went after the driver. Thanks to a brilliant broker they went the extra mile, I got my excess back, and my premiums were reversed to my previous lower rate.

Does NOT make it "right", but just typical of this industry ....

3rd party insurance should cover the riders medical costs, eventually .... good luck trying to get a decent payout for the bike .....

did I mention my disgust for the insurance industry .... :cursing:

I now only work via a broker, pay my excess, get my stuff repaired\replaced ... then let the broker sort it out .... it takes months, but she works her magic and I get my excess back.

The company’s insurance should only cover damage to property. Medical expenses aren’t covered by insurance or 3rd party. You have to go claim against RAF for that.

That oke should sue them for damages if they’re not willing to let their insurance cover it. Also, open a case of attempted murder and negligence to make the ‘pap dik aan’

Edited by stefmeister

The company’s insurance should only cover damage to property. Medical expenses aren’t covered by insurance or 3rd party. You have to go claim against RAF for that.

That oke should sue them for damages if they’re not willing to let their insurance cover it. Also, open a case of attempted murder and negligence to make the ‘pap dik aan’

Thanks for the correction  :thumbup:

With my claim the costs amounted to replacing a fender on a new car, and a few touches around it ... about R12k worth of damage.  The company knew I could not get any real legal process going, as it would quickly exceed the total claim value .....  which is why my insurance decided to go for the driver, thankfully he took their payment offer, as they had no intention of following through with a legal case.

It is just a numbers game to the insurers ..... looking back I understand the "maths" behind it, but when you are the one with the damages it is infuriating !!  :cursing:

We have the laws. Just enforce them strictly and the problem will magically go away.

Of course this also means the days of drifting through a stop street on your bicycle will be over. But I'll take that over the wild west we currently have.