Bloody drunkard

NotSoBigBen

I lived in the uk for a few years in my 20s and we over indulged regularly. No one drove which I found odd coming from SA. There I learnt that there is nothing cool or clever about drunk driving. Perhaps new drivers here should be on a probation system with alcohol education mandatory at learners license stage

Many countries have drinking problems but don’t have the drunk driving culture that kills

Again it all boils down to consequences

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

snip

You can't talk to these guys about it as it causes conflict and anyway they never accept that they do have a problem as all their mates are also alcoholics and don't see anything wrong with it!

I think more has to be done at school level (same with road traffic knowledge) and maybe raise the legal drinking age to 21+?

not just that, ive been off the booze for the past 6/7 months and something that really hit home with me in that time was how it is frowned upon or how you are judged when in a social setting and NOT drinking. you basically become the target for all the banter lol. ive never been a sucker for peer pressure but i can understand how some people just feel they have to to fit in. it is a weird culture we have indeed.

I now just tell people I'm a clinically diagnosed psychopath and alcohol diminishes the absolute control I crave over people and situations in social settings. :ph34r: 

Edited by morneS555

I lived in the uk for a few years in my 20s and we over indulged regularly. No one drove which I found odd coming from SA. There I learnt that there is nothing cool or clever about drunk driving. Perhaps new drivers here should be on a probation system with alcohol education mandatory at learners license stage

Many countries have drinking problems but don’t have the drunk driving culture that kills

Again it all boils down to consequences

Here as well.  In general when people go drinking you walk.  You even have an alcohol limit for cycling.  I only found out the other day if you get busted on your bicycle drunk you will have your drivers license suspended.  So people will just walk or have a designated driver or get a taxi.  But you still get the odd idiot driving drunk.  Had an old toppie the other day that was pretty drunk and misjudged the offramp off a road and spun off writing the car off.  He was unhurt but needles to say that was the last time he drove a car with a valid license.

not just that, ive been off the booze for the past 6/7 months and something that really hit home with me in that time was how it is frowned upon or how you are judged when in a social setting and NOT drinking. you basically become the target for all the banter lol. ive never been a sucker for peer pressure but i can understand how some people just feel they have to to fit in. it is a weird culture we have indeed.

I now just tell people I'm a clinically diagnosed psychopath and alcohol diminishes the absolute control I crave over people and situations in social settings. :ph34r: 

Being a vegetarian and non drinker causes issues for me!

But drinking is a huge way of life here. In my small town (Magalies) we have THREE bottle stores!

One main road...one Spar...4 ATMS, 1 disfunctional BP and THREE bottle stores! In fact there was talk of a fourth one at the local Choppies but luckily that hasn't happened yet...

Edited by Mojoman

not sure who you hang around with. Amongst my mates there's no issues. If you don't drink then you don't drink. No biggie.

not sure who you hang around with. Amongst my mates there's no issues. If you don't drink then you don't drink. No biggie.

yes. but you know what i mean. theres always the the 'friendly' banter h first few minutes before everyone knows you arent drinking....especially between guys. 

"oh he must be pregnant",

"oh he must be a spy for the wives",

"don't worry he can be our designated driver",

"he cant handle his alcohol"

"here have a miller...thats not real beer"

the list is endless. and you've (like everyone) heard/used them all before lol

Edited by morneS555

I know exactly what you mean.

I detest going out to a social with my wife's friends from their school days. I get couped up with the husbands that just order bucket after bucket of beer and afterwards they want to split the bill. So from the offset I will do a coffee or something similar.

Add to that the fact that they all hunt and bring their pistols along to the social, whereas I have no inclination to go on a hunting trip. (I own 2 rifles and a shotgun, but those are inherited and having two daughters it is standard requirement before they let you take your daughters home from the maternity ward)

It all makes for an awkward social setting as I am done with keeping up appearances. So I rather encourage my wife to do the girls-night-out with them instead. 

I hope I have recognised that I have used up a lot of luck over the years so I am personally very careful about drinking and driving; 2 light beers or one glass of wine maximum and never when far from home. Make a point of being very careful on the drive.

BUT, I can easily see how a drunk driver can destroy lives and it is something that should (you cannot say must in SA) minimised.  Carrot and stick; carrot; provide alternatives; Uber, Good Fellas", public transport and safe walking (ha ha).

Then stick; effective enforcement, no serving of alcohol to the already inebriated and finally effective punishment.  Maybe community service and a massive fine rather than jail. If you take a life; community service for life. Pick up litter whatever in an orange overall; let people see the consequences?

I am with you there, I also did some astoundingly stupid things in and after school and alcohol was always involved.

We lost a fellow matriculant during final exams as they were drinking and wanted to go to the neighbouring town to dop there... he was the driver and a silver lining is that the other 3 guys in the car survived. Sitting down to write that final subject with his seat near to me was a real sad moment.

The alcohol problems in our country start at a young age. We need to somehow win the war early with our youth, hopefully then it will perpetuate into the rest of society.

Been there with you guys too. At times I cannot believe the idiocy of my youth! Am so grateful my kids take drink driving very seriously. In fact neither of them drink alcohol much at all. Edited by Spokey

I hope I have recognised that I have used up a lot of luck over the years so I am personally very careful about drinking and driving; 2 light beers or one glass of wine maximum and never when far from home. Make a point of being very careful on the drive.

snip

i referenced two Swedes we know in another thread.

They come and visit every few years. Now nobody can deny how much actual viking descendants can drink..especially beer...(they are weak when it comes to hard liquor  btw lol)

It is ingrained into their culture. But they are so strict about being responsible drinkers/not drinking and driving.

When they come and visit they just flatout wont get in a car with us even if I said i'd be the driver and had 2 light beers. They just wont.

The one time we were at a local brewery literally 2 blocks from our house. They still wouldnt get in the car...and got a Uber instead. At the time I scoffed at their "stupidity". I mean...i was 'totally fine' and responsible. I could literally walk home faster than they had to wait for the uber.

Thats the right way. 

Here as well. In general when people go drinking you walk. You even have an alcohol limit for cycling. I only found out the other day if you get busted on your bicycle drunk you will have your drivers license suspended. So people will just walk or have a designated driver or get a taxi. But you still get the odd idiot driving drunk. Had an old toppie the other day that was pretty drunk and misjudged the offramp off a road and spun off writing the car off. He was unhurt but needles to say that was the last time he drove a car with a valid license.

It's not even an option here. You walk or catch a taxi. We had drinks at someone's house the other day and the one guy coming from a bit further drove over. No one batted an eyelid when he pulled out heiniken O's. Drink driving is just a no.

I've never been a drinker, in the earlier years out with mates it was always a thing about me not drinking and the constant pressure to have a drink, they soon tired of it.

But when out with "new" people its still there, my brother in laws have eventually after 20 years realised that IF I have a drink with them its a very special occasion and even then its normally just one drink.

Even my youngest sister gave me grief, she then decided on my 22 birthday that it was time to get me properly hammered, since the part was at home and I would not be going anywhere I gave in a drank myself stupid.

But you soon become immune to the banter etc. 

Its going to need a cultural shift here where you are embarassed let someone know you had a drink before driving rather than the current culture of bragging about it.

But we all know how difficult that cultural shift will be.

yes. but you know what i mean. theres always the the 'friendly' banter h first few minutes before everyone knows you arent drinking....especially between guys. 

"oh he must be pregnant",

"oh he must be a spy for the wives",

"don't worry he can be our designated driver",

"he cant handle his alcohol"

"here have a miller...thats not real beer"

the list is endless. and you've (like everyone) heard/used them all before lol

People who do that are not friends, not ones you want anyway!

I am a very social and light drinker . Max 2 beers and NEVER anything else .

When offered / coerced into a drink I just say I am a recovering alcoholic and don't drink .

Works perfectly ... actually makes the person offering/forcing drinks feel like a real tjop ...

I now just tell people I'm a clinically diagnosed psychopath and alcohol diminishes the absolute control I crave over people and situations in social settings. :ph34r:

I was in SA a while back and went to a braai with my wife’s brother and his wife at a friend of theirs’ house. My sister in law had been tri training for a few months and had been off the booze, but was drinking on that night. The non stop comments about how much better she was now she was drinking, what a loser she had been when she wasn’t drinking etc were surprising to say the least. Even when I and her 9 year old son had to help her to the car as she was so pissed, as was my BIL, the group was still laughing and joking etc. They were also shocked then that I left my car and drove these guys home as I hadn’t been drinking. The next day there was a post mortem Over a breakfast with the same crowd. The only negative comments about the night were levelled at me because I didn’t drink (I enjoy a drink but had a long flight the next day). Nobody thought it odd that a group of educated, wealthy people had spent the night drinking to oblivion whilst their kids played in the garden around them. I reflected on all the times when we lived in SA that drinking to excess was just part of the culture, whereas in twenty odd years of living in other countries, I have never been part of a community where that is seen as a regular thing.

When we were young in SA, I was as bad as anyone else with drinking and driving and drinking stupid volumes of alcohol. The thing that most surprised me was that these were all people in their late forties partying like we did when we were in our early twenties.

Edited by BigDL