Tiny dog run over by cyclists in Delta Park

DR ◣◢

Like most of these problems - the solution is behavioral change.

A bit more "respect the people around me" and a bit less "f*ck you mate - I'm ok".

Sadly SA is not currently Happyville and as the stress in the pressure cooker increases humans tend more to the "f*ck you mate I'm ok approach".

On the money as usual.

What the man said.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The owners of the dogs always say, "Never done this before" and they are always 200m away from the dog with zero control. 

ALLLLLLLWAYS!!!!

I took my Township Shepard for training and the first thing the trainer said was "If your dog leaves your property it's on a lead" No ifs or maybe's. No matter how well trained a dog is you never know how it's going to react to another dog or some other stimulus.

So when I see a dog off lead I know there's a 90% chance that dog hasn't actually been trained.

All those smells and sounds and sights when you take a dog out is a massive sensory overload for them.

Oh and sitting for a piece of biltong does not mean a dog is trained.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

My favorite comment on that thread is the cyclists should go to the cycle park, im not a member so I cant comment, i want to say the dog walkers must go to the dog park. 

I made that comment and since the logic superseded the average IQ of the mob with pitch forks I didn't get a reply. 

All these things come down to shared responsibilities, which most people suck at. 

I dont let my 5 year old rip through the park at 35km/h and I keep my 3 year old in line with a hand on his shoulder. I expect you as a dog owner to be able to make sure your dog does not lunge at my kids or other dogs in the park. Also expect walkers to not walk 12 abreast and block the entire path. 

Also, would it kill people to walk or ride to the park and not come park all their range rovers illegally in front of peoples houses and on verges?

ALLLLLLLWAYS!!!!

I took my Township Shepard for training and the first thing the trainer said was "If your dog leaves your property it's on a lead" No ifs or maybe's. No matter how well trained a dog is you never know how it's going to react to another dog or some other stimulus.

So when I see a dog off lead I know there's a 90% chance that dog hasn't actually been trained.

All those smells and sounds and sights when you take a dog out is a massive sensory overload for them.

Oh and sitting for a piece of biltong does not mean a dog is trained.

Was walking my one dog once and 2 women with a 10year old ish kid comes from the front. I always give people space just in case, but i trust the dog. About 5m away the kid starts running to the dog and just lunges in to pat the dog. Well you know what happened next lol....and the people had the nerve to be angry at me that he nipped the kid on the hand.

EVERYBODY knows you dont just lunge into a unfamiliar dog no matter how friendly he appears...especially going straight for the head/face. Dogs hate that. I always tell new people to let the dog smell them first..on his terms, then he’s a jol. Funny how ‘dog people’ all know this by default. Ive even had small children come up to me and ask if they could pet the dog and without me even saying anything they let the dog smell their hand first. He eont do anything then. Thats just you introducing yourself properly. Imagine walking up to a random person and petting them in the face. You’ll get a kick up the skirt too haha

In general...its actually people who need the training.

Edited by morneS555

Was walking my one dog once and 2 women with a 10year old ish kid comes from the front. I always give people space just in case, but i trust the dog. About 5m away the kid starts running to the dog and just lunges in to pat the dog. Well you know what happened next lol....and the people had the nerve to be angry at me that he nipped the kid on the hand.

EVERYBODY knows you dont just lunge into a unfamiliar dog no matter how friendly he appears...especially going straight for the head/face. Dogs hate that. I always tell new people to let the dog smell them first..on his terms, then he’s a jol. Funny how ‘dog people’ all know this by default. Ive even had small children come up to me and ask if they could pet the dog and without me even saying anything they let the dog smell their hand first. He eont do anything then. Thats just you introducing yourself properly. Imagine walking up to a random person and petting them in the face. You’ll get a kick up the skirt too haha

In general...its actually people who need the training.

Similar happened to us. Kid out of nowhere runs up to our 40kg (insert power breed name here) and gives him a huge hug. 

Thank the heavens he is trained and always on leash. He just accepted the hug with a wagging tail. This could have gone very very wrong. He's nipped me before on my arm while we wrestled and it bruised pretty well. A kids hand would have been crushed if he decided to go at him.

Again the parents just stood there with a blank expression on their faces.

I'm both dog owner and cyclist.

If I walk my pooches where there are cyclists I'm not afraid of them biting if they'e off lead but rather their curiosity and desire to go say "hi". Hence they stay on lead when there's a lot of peeps about.

That said dogs also tend to be better behaved around other dogs when all the dogs on off lead.

My bewilderment around the incident that gave rise to this topic is,.....what was a chihuahua puppy doing out of the handbag??? *&^$ those things are so small you're unlikely to see them even with 20:20 vision! too small for a leash so WTAF??!

Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one that immediately heard Kevin Hart's voice in my head when I read the subject.

On topic, I agree with previous sentiments in the thread. I was at Modderfontein yesterday and although it wasn't dog related there were a bajillion hikers out. Sure, you can decide to be that guy and blast past a pair of walkers at 35kph because you're aiming to break the top 300 on Strava for that segment. OR, y'know, just be lekker and slow down, give them a nice loud MORNING as you're approaching and have a merry interaction with a fellow nature-enthusiast.

On the other hand though, don't get me started on the group of three midlife-crisisers I was stuck behind on the trail. 

• Middle-aged with a boepens - Check
  • Riding an S-Works Epic / Scalpel Si - Check
  • Having a dawdle on a fun, flowy portion of trail - Check
  • LITERALLY DISCUSSING YOUR BUDDY DERRICK THAT'S STUPID BECAUSE HE BOUGHT A PORSCHE, WHEN HE COULD HAVE BOUGHT AN M5, BECAUSE HE'S JEALOUS OF YOUR PORSCHE - Check (I wish I was kidding)
  • Ignoring me politely asking to pass after making eye contact, approaching them slowly and giving them fair chance to do so - Check

I have no issue with being middle aged rich dude riding an expensive bike slowly, its your money and your time. But, don't hog the trail  when you very obviously don't need to and are politely given a lot of time and opportunity not to. If I had raced up to them, tyres skidding as I stopped 5cm from their rear wheels and gave an obvious groan, sure, be a jackass.

There were a lot of very new riders out yesterday and we all worked together to ensure everyone has a great time at their own respective pace. People gave way for me and I gave way for others. But these dudes... Oi vey.

Just ******* be lekker.

Edited by TyronLab

My bewilderment around the incident that gave rise to this topic is,.....what was a chihuahua puppy doing out of the handbag??? *&^$ those things are so small you're unlikely to see them even with 20:20 vision! too small for a leash so WTAF??!

My first thought 

But seriously it is really not on for any one,  in any sort of accident to just leave, that's  no worse than the hit and runs we hate so vehemently.

Accidents happen and are unfortunate , just be there to sort out , could well be the dog was not seen or popped out from behind a piece of grass , what ever , just engage and sort out like the civilized mature adults we claim to be.

Gathering butt the facebook lynch mob, it would have being a tough one but the right thing to do 

I'm still very curious what the side of the story is from the cyclists. 

PS. A flock of ducklings was savagely attacked this morning by a pack of wild off-leash dogs in Delta park. 

It's unfortunate that a dog got run over and that the cyclists raced away. We don't know the full story of what happened, and either side will most likely blame the other side.

The situation across pretty much all spectrums at the moment is Us vs. Them. No matter what. The exact same issue is prevalent on Wolwespruit's facebook page for example, with dog walkers and trail runners on the cycle trails. I had a seriously close encounter several months back coming down a fast downhill bit with a blind bend, when all of a sudden the entire track was blocked by a family walking dogs. There are clear no-entry/wrong way signs at the bottom of the track, and the separation between trail running/dog walking tracks and cycling tracks are clear. Had I not veered off into the bushes and clattered into them instead, I'm 100% dead sure there would have been hell to pay about a cyclist smashing into dog walking family with no regard.

It's just stupid, honestly.

I'm still very curious what the side of the story is from the cyclists. 

PS. A flock of ducklings was savagely attacked this morning by a pack of wild off-leash dogs in Delta park. 

I often read of stories like this in the UK....swans attacked....young livestock attacked..foals attacked..all because owners are just too doff to leash their dog and exercise some common sense....and again...the losers in all of this is always the animal due to people....

I often read of stories like this in the UK....swans attacked....young livestock attacked..foals attacked..all because owners are just too doff to leash their dog and exercise some common sense....and again...the losers in all of this is always the animal due to people....

What makes it worse is that the law is very clear on this in South Africa

Prohibited behaviour in respect of dogs
7. (1) No person may without reasonable grounds –
(a) incite a dog against a person, animal or bird; or
(b) allow a dog in his or her custody or under his or her control to attack or put fear into any person, animal or bird.

(2) Subject to section 16(1) of the Council's Public Open Spaces By-laws, published under Notice 831 in Provincial Gazette Extraordinary No. 179 dated 21 May 2004, no person may permit any dog to be in a public place unless it is kept on a leash and under control of a person.
This says enough. Leash laws should be strictly enforced in all public spaces.