Nic Bester attacked while training.

gummibear

Okes, I'm not a libtard or far left or whatever. 

I am just not comfortable with the way and the manner that the word 'blacks' was used.

I get that 4 black guys attacked VARKIE (not Nick Bester BTW - unless Nick is commenting as Varkie from his hospital bed). 

But in this case it was used as a slew. 

Sias, I'm glad you can see that generalizations written with negative connotations is not something you would want pinned on you.

I am definitely not denying that 4 men of colour were doing bad things, I just think we can all do better when it comes to how we relate stories and experiences. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

while participating in some casual chit-chat with some labourers/security guards on a building site we were discussing those and the general consensus was that NOBODY wants to be hit by one of those things in anger...so they usually make for a great deterrent. Anybody that has let loose with one against any sort of malleable material will attest just how much damage they can inflict with not much effort. damn....i dont even want to imagine what that feels like.

I once bought one of these extendable spring batons, seems like a pretty good weapon, lighter than a normal baton and has some characteristics of a whip. Also if someone has a long panga or blade, it would be good for blocking as the blade can get stuck in the spring.

Oom [emoji1787][emoji1787]

To be honest a firearm shouldn’t be on a bike but if you have to then a waist bag carry option.If you knocked off the bike it stays with you and you can draw while on the move.You can ride with it at the back and move it forward if you spot something you not comfortable with [emoji106]

Most important is training with the bag at the range to get used to using it in deferent situations.

When this subject was debated a few years ago myself and 2 mates played around with different scenarios and different carry methods.A Moonbag was the best option out the lot.

5.1.1 make a great bag that closes with Velcro and opens very fast.It also dries fast so weapon doesn’t get soaked.

I have always suggested a extendable baton in your back pocket as a defense weapon.They are expensive and a knife or pepper spray on the frame or stem can be a good alternative.

e1ef09dc308f36770470a051791654fb.jpg

A moonbag you say? Eish... that makes for some tough decisions.

Don't forget, your bike, especially MTB's can also a weapon.

On the assumption it's not an ambush situation, you can certainly put one or even two guys in hospital with your bike as a weapon.

You can also possibly use it to defend against being stabbed with a knife.

Your best chance is to think through the possible scenarios and how you can possibly respond to them.  If you don't, you will probably freeze-up and not respond in the best way possible.

I agree the bike is a good defensive weapon.We were on a club ride in the bush in Botswana and a younger member and myself were attacked by two Dobermans and my SC Superlight protected us. 

You can always wear short socks to distract from the moonbag :ph34r:

If you wore normal length socks, you could just tuck your gun into that, right next to your comb. But we are trying to find solutions for the less well informed here ;)

The three thugs that bike jacked us took our Camelbaks and walked away with backs towards us. Didn't check pockets etc.

If I had a weapon they would be toast...

If they did a body check and found a weapon it would have been sketchy.

Having been bike-jacked myself, I have to agree... you really don't have any time to

Edited by keithbe

The three thugs that bike jacked us took our Camelbaks and walked away with backs towards us. Didn't check pockets etc.

If I had a weapon they would be toast...

If they did a body check and found a weapon it would have been sketchy.

If they were walking away then your life was no longer in danger.

Law says your life must be in immanent danger to use force.

True, being through the whole firearm competence thing, you can not shoot if you are not physically attacked and your life is in imminent danger.  We were told the exception is for females, they are allowed to shoot without being physically attacked.

So, take a lady with you on the ride and hand her the gun to shoot ...   :D  Only joking.

warning shot in the air and when they turn to face you.........

Law is funny, the guy can stab me and leave me to die, but if I shoot him when he's escaping with my goods, I'm the criminal

Not that I am pro shooting people in the back but the criminals have so much protection under the law, which is part of the reason they are not afraid to do what they do.  No repurcussions

Edited by Waynemol

Riding a bicycle, driving a car, sleeping in your own bed, where are you safe in this country these days?

I was thinking about this whilst listening to Shaun Nick Bester on the radio this morning when the interviewer asked him if the area his dad was running in was a) open to the public and b) was a known crime hot spot? Really.

warning shot in the air and when they turn to face you.........

Law is funny, the guy can stab me and leave me to die, but if I shoot him when he's escaping with my goods, I'm the criminal

Not that I am pro shooting people in the back but the criminals have so much protection under the law, which is part of the reason they are not afraid to do what they do.  No repurcussions

Yip, that is our sad reality ...  

Kyle wasn’t exactly just innocently riding along his favorite MTB trail on his bicycle was he. In fact, each time we hear of a story here of a cyclist defending themselves to the misfortune of the attackers, I recall resounding support for the defender. Eg: Durban riders sorts out 3 attackers with their own knife....

The mere fact that his unfortunate story is being brought into this, shows that the motivation here is not about discussing how to stop innocent riders being attacked in SA or self defense measures, but rather it is simply being used as an opportunity to make some thinly veiled anti libbie comment.

Except that facts don't care about feelings.

True, being through the whole firearm competence thing, you can not shoot if you are not physically attacked and your life is in imminent danger.  We were told the exception is for females, they are allowed to shoot without being physically attacked.

So, take a lady with you on the ride and hand her the gun to shoot ...   :D  Only joking.

Its better to just get in your car and run them over and say you were just looking at your cellphone and was an accident. You can even be drunk in SA and get off without a day in jail 

Only joking