ToerFiets - New Afrikaans cycling mag!

Nokka

It belongs to Weg, and the way they have done it in the past was to launch an Afrikaans version, because that is their base, and it it is successful, they launch an English version also (Go). They have done that with the original Weg as well as the smaller more specialized ones like caravanning. They are a very sharp lot who launched Weg at a time nobody else saw a future for it and they made it work. Their formula of inspiration, pictures, text, stories and facts make for a good recipe. They are also not too overloaded with advertising, something that puts other magazines at the mercy of advertisers rather than readers. Many of their readers are subscribers and extremely loyal.

thanks, good explanation.

The content is something that interests me as its not just the normal fluffy advertorials that most mags publish (slightly off topic but, I'm finding GCN very guilty of this lately).

I wish them well and hope to see a rooi neck version soon

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Country has vast touring bike potential. The gravel bike movement has taken riders into areas where the mountain bike racing routes don't always go.

Some of the Karoo gravel rides that have happened this year, especially a recent 'epic; into the Tankwa, are the stuff of legends. Whether you do it on a steel gravel bike or roll 2.1" fast-rolling tyres on your 29er hardtail, it doesn't matter. Get out there. Explore. 

As Weg has proven: South Africa has nearly limitless potential for domestic tourism/traveling. And bikes are a wonderful way of doing that. Local communities are swift to react to new trends.

We could see a range of new overnight facilities for touring riders, in some great locations, at very fair prices: bed, shower, single meal. 

Country has vast touring bike potential. The gravel bike movement has taken riders into areas where the mountain bike racing routes don't always go.

Some of the Karoo gravel rides that have happened this year, especially a recent 'epic; into the Tankwa, are the stuff of legends. Whether you do it on a steel gravel bike or roll 2.1" fast-rolling tyres on your 29er hardtail, it doesn't matter. Get out there. Explore. 

As Weg has proven: South Africa has nearly limitless potential for domestic tourism/traveling. And bikes are a wonderful way of doing that. Local communities are swift to react to new trends.

We could see a range of new overnight facilities for touring riders, in some great locations, at very fair prices: bed, shower, single meal. 

I'm busy organising and planning one such place 

Good luck - Will look forward to an English version. Also, will there be an online version? 

Wat great sal wees as julle plek maak vir "ad hoc" skrywers wat net half 'n once-off elke nou en dan wil skryf van hul avonture...

Baie briljante idee. :thumbup:

As dit slegs in afrikaans is sou ek dit dalk oorweeg, maar as dit in die taal geskryf is waar mens wonder of jy Engels of Afrikaans lees dan stel ek nie belang nie. Ek hoop regtig nie dat die tydskrif geskryf is in dieselfde styl wat dit hier bekendgestel word nie.

Ek sit nou by my en besin hieroor. Dis inderwaarheid 'n moeilike taak, veral in die lig gesien daarvan dat ons almal so gewoond is daaraan dat die algemene gebruiksterme in engels is en om die Afrikaans daarvoor gewoond te raak (veral op skrif) bietjie 'n opdraende styd op die oog sal wees. Dog, dit wil my voorkom of dit meer oor toer gaan, wat baie makliker is om oor te dra in Afrikaans, as wat tegniese aspekte wat ons oorvertaal doen.

Nietemin, ek glo Weg sou hulle huiswerk goed gedoe het en vertrou die artikels sal maklik lees - ek weet ek kan nie wag om dit te koop nie.

Vir wat dit werd is, ek sukkel my stert af om oordentlik myself oor te dra in Afrikaans na 'n dekade van uitsluitlik in Engels tik en skryf.

Toemaar, ons skryf darem beter in die tydskrif as wat ons hier sit en gesels. Ons het selfs Afrikaans gevind vir dropper post en bibs... Edwill van Aarde sou jaloers wees. 

Hele paar jaar terug het WEG n spesiale uitgawe gedoen oor fotografie.

Die terminologie was nogal vreemd !!  :eek:   :whistling:

Maar die skryfstyl was darem net LEKKER, so in mens se eie Taal.  Ek het tot vandag daai tydskrif.

Sal sekerlik uitkyk vir die tydskrif op die rakke.

We did discuss this. I think more than half of SA's cyclists are actually Afrikaans, and high LSM's. It's an untapped and under appreciated market. But as mentioned elsewhere, if there is a good uptake, we can do both versions. Really excited to see how the market react to this. I think it's the first Afrikaans cycling magazine ever!

Nie net die eerste nie, maar ook die grootste. :thumbup: 

Pretoria: Die grootste Afrikaanse stad in die Suidelike halfrond (per Johannes Kerkorrel)

We did discuss this. I think more than half of SA's cyclists are actually Afrikaans, and high LSM's. It's an untapped and under appreciated market. But as mentioned elsewhere, if there is a good uptake, we can do both versions. Really excited to see how the market react to this. I think it's the first Afrikaans cycling magazine ever!

I'd like to see stats on this

Places such as Prince Albert has seen the financial benefits of promoting cycling.

Many of the guest houses now offer cycles to rent.

The Information office hands out a map of the area, and the cycling routes out of town are marked clearly with "cycles" on the map.

Cycle down to Weltevreden and they await you with a pot coffee.  Must rate as one of the best gravel grinding routes, even though I was on dual suspension bike.

Would love to hear of other "dorpies" with the same approach, and cycling options in the area ....

Ag nee man, moet nou nie n goeie storie met feite bederf nie ...  :whistling:  

I've never seen any stats, my personal feeling is the perception depends on which circles you hang around in. So it would be really interesting to see what the stats actually are.

Good move. Afrikaans language has alway been a powerful medium in cycling. For a long time this was one of Ride Magazine's strengths. 

My taal is maar meer bedonner as lekker. But this soutie will keep an eye out. Quality content is quality content. Regardless of language or medium. 

Places such as Prince Albert has seen the financial benefits of promoting cycling.

Many of the guest houses now offer cycles to rent.

The Information office hands out a map of the area, and the cycling routes out of town are marked clearly with "cycles" on the map.

Cycle down to Weltevreden and they await you with a pot coffee.  Must rate as one of the best gravel grinding routes, even though I was on dual suspension bike.

Would love to hear of other "dorpies" with the same approach, and cycling options in the area ....

Montague, and I don't say that lightly because I'm a Prince Albert boy. But Montague has some spectacular gravel also. Eroica SA proved that.

I'd like to see stats on this

"As of 2018, the languages most commonly spoken by individuals inside of South African households were isiZulu at 25.3 percent, isiXhosa at 14.8 percent and Afrikaans at 12.2 percent respectively. While English only accounts for the sixth most common language spoken inside of South African households at 8.1 percent,...."

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1114302/distribution-of-languages-spoken-inside-and-outside-of-households-in-south-africa/#statisticContainer

Despite what souties think, their language are not even it the top 3 of South Africa.

Some more stats:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_South_Africa

And more

https://www.gov.za/about-sa/south-africas-people