Cyclist assaulted in Camps Bay

FootballingCyclist

I don't know anything about the thread at hand or the mudslinging therein, but I do know that you are riding your bike all wrong if this is something you believe.

I suggest a skills update is in order.

So you believe a road bike is better to handle with narrower bars and narrower tyres with a narrower fork, than a MTB with wider tyres, fork and bars on the tarmac?

I'm not trying to start a fight or come across as cocky here, It's a genuine question actually?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the driver is not going to be a co accused as it was his actions that enabled the assailant to get close enough. Able to show pre meditation, wont hold breathe on that though or the 1m law.

the driver should be. AS we can see in the video, all in the car are complicit. No one makes an attempt to talk the buffoon out of his stupidity and all go along it, so in my view, even if this just makes them a little uncomfortable, they should all be answering for their actions in front of a magistrate

If it came across that was it DEF was not supposed to and perhaps my frustration when typing the original post had a little something to do with it. I'm not fighting with you either, Just wanted to clear that up.

No problem.

Also I know many many more people who as beginners would rather start on a MTB than a thin 25c wide road bike tyre with 42mm bars. A MTB in my opinion is alot more stable on the road than a Road bike is.

On the road the width of the tyres is not going to do much for stability.

I think it boils down to what you have experience on, for me my Road bike is way more stable on the road than my MTB.

So you believe a road bike is better to handle with narrower bars and narrower tyres with a narrower fork, than a MTB with wider tyres, fork and bars on the tarmac?

I'm not trying to start a fight or come across as cocky here, It's a genuine question actually?

Me either.

I've been riding for 35 years, and ridden both types of bike on the road ,and there is zero doubt that a road bike handles better and is 10000% more stable on the tar than an MTB.

The constant mention of wider tyres makes me think you are relatively new to the sport. As in I often get asked by non-cyclists how does one balance on such skinny tyres and the like.

Edited by TNT1

it depends more on centre of gravity than just contact patch and width of bars. MTB steering i.e. for offset and trail is set up to try to deliver quick steering while achieving stability through the wheelbase.

but on a road bike your CoG is lower. I find its much of a muchness and not a blanket rule that MTB is more stable. Perhaps through the full range of a manoeuvre the mtb is but inthe case of being slapped from behind its the micro movements that come into play and i find a road bike gives you more immediate feedback that allows for a quicker response and action 

Are you seriously debating the toss with this toss?Big mistake.

Never argue with an idiot. they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

There is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to tyre width on the road. The biggest reasons we are seeing wider tyres on road bikes now boils down to comfort and not handling.

Wider bars on MTB are there for stability over rough terrain, they help you nothing over the smooth terrain.

In the scenario in the video being on a MTB was probably more of a risk as the wider bar offer a greater chance of getting knocked by the car

Assault? They slapped him on the arse. How is that assault?

Maybe he can press charges for sexual assault.

I agree that it was a dangerous thing to do. They could have bumped him or he could have fallen off his bike.

A woman did the same thing to me and we both had a good laugh when we stopped at a robot a few meters on.

Do you run around slapping people and expect to get away with it because "its not assault" ?

Operating a vehicle recklessly on a public road.

Operating a vehicle without a seatbelt ( passenger)

The Assault part is minor if you take the rest into account.

Why do you okes feel it's necessary to argue about what tyres are more stable?

That is completely irrelevant to the post.

But if you really want to test your theories, ask a friend to push you from the side (which a hard slap could do) while riding each and see for yourself on which bike you stay upright on.

it depends more on centre of gravity than just contact patch and width of bars. MTB steering i.e. for offset and trail is set up to try to deliver quick steering while achieving stability through the wheelbase.

but on a road bike your CoG is lower. I find its much of a muchness and not a blanket rule that MTB is more stable. Perhaps through the full range of a manoeuvre the mtb is but inthe case of being slapped from behind its the micro movements that come into play and i find a road bike gives you more immediate feedback that allows for a quicker response and action 

Sounds like you've been slapped on the ass a few times? Was it the Brenners?

No man...

If you are knocked sideways and land up skitting into the gutter or going over stones or a man hole etc the MTB will save your bacon.

Let's not argue semantics.

I have also been riding since forever and in a situation like that I would prefer to be on my MTB.

It has more get out of jail free cards. The sitting position, cleat/shoe setup etc is also more set up for bailing easier, so if you do fall you can often escape injury far easier than on the road bike.

It's also easier to ramp the pavement and bunny hop and and and which all help if making forced evasive manoeuvre's. 

That's how I see it anyway. 

YES, the behaviour was totally unacceptable !!

And YES, laying a charge at the local cop shop may possibly be a wakeup call for these youngsters.  And YES, practical steps needs to be taken to stop this type of behaviour before it becomes the next "thing" ....

BUT ... what can realistically be achieved ?

There are at least three "perps" :

1) Driver .... driving without a seatbelt is the only offence that can be proven.  

2) Front passenger .... sounds like this is a 17 year old ..... thanks to our lovely system he cant even get a "slap on the wrist", oooo the irony ....

3) Rear passenger .... probably the worst that could happen is if he had sponsors that walked away due to a tarnished reputation, and how likely is that to happen ....

I DO hope there is more that can be achieved .... but somehow I think these punks are laughing at this thread, realising that they already "got away" with their behaviour.

NOTE - I am NOT condoning their behaviour, rather bemoaning our system for not being effective in addressing this until somebody actually gets hurt .... 

Edited by ChrisF

No man...

If you are knocked sideways and land up skitting into the gutter or going over stones or a man hole etc the MTB will save your bacon.

Let's not argue semantics.

I have also been riding since forever and in a situation like that I would prefer to be on my MTB.

It has more get out of jail free cards. The sitting position, cleat/shoe setup etc is also more set up for bailing easier, so if you do fall you can often escape injury far easier than on the road bike.

It's also easier to ramp the pavement and bunny hop and and and which all help if making forced evasive manoeuvre's. 

That's how I see it anyway. 

Exactly this, although on can hop pavemets with a road bike, you can also badly buckle your rim. Not sure if carbon road rims will survive hitting the corner of a pavement.