Dear Bike Industry

BMXER

The context is standards in a bike industry.

If all motorcycle manufacturers around the world could agree where clutch and brake levers go then surely all bicycle manufacturers and assemblers can just all align in one way or the other. This is not like all the other issues mentioned where advances in tech have lead to new variables- this is just not getting their ducks in a row. All bikes parked in a bike shop should have the same control set up to start. You don't walk into a car dealership and have to ask if the accelerator is on the left or the right, or find that out in the first drive do you? 

From there you can personalize away, esp if you are a lefty. I have a friend running a left thumb brake on his R1 in the American superbike series, works for him, other guys have tried and found it a waste of time. each to their own to personalize, but it should have a standard to start...

The car industry also dont have it sorted by a long shot, lights (indicator lever) a simple example.

It is unrealistic to expect all manufactures to abide by the same rules, aint going to happen.  We simply need to adapt & accept and change to what you want if possible.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The car industry also dont have it sorted by a long shot, lights (indicator lever) a simple example.

It is unrealistic to expect all manufactures to abide by the same rules, aint going to happen.  We simply need to adapt & accept and change to what you want if possible.

Hiehie ....

After decades on motorcycles my muscle memory was "right side = front brake" .... 

When I got back into cycling my first bike was like this .... so it was just natural to keep it this way.

But we all know the road back into cycling .... start with with a basic bike, then upgrade very soon ....

Second bike also had the front on the right ...  :thumbup:   This later became the commuter

Imagine my shock and horror when my next bike had the rear brake on the right .....  :eek:   I refused to take it out the shop until they swopped it about !!  :whistling:

Fast forward to the next bike, with nice internally routed cables .....  designed for the rear to be on the right.  Off course it was possible to hack it, but it looked cr@p ..... so the decision was made to go "Right = Rear" ......  I was seriously dreading locking the front wheel out of shear habbit ..... 

Had a few sketchy moments on the commuter .... and then again on the MTB .... so I swopped the hoses on the commuter to also be "right = rear".

Maritz's first two bikes came from the shop "Right = front" .... he is so used to this ..... I dont want to swop him around at this point .....

I don't see the problem.

Rode left-front for more than 30 years on my bikes. Got on a motorbike for the first time in my life and it wasn't a problem at all.

I race motorbikes and bicycles and never understood why some bikers think it's cool to have you brakes the wrong way around on their bicycles... Edited by Jbr

..... designed for the rear to be on the right. Off course it was possible to hack it, but it looked cr@p ..... so the decision was made to go "Right = Rear" ...... I....

Possibly the worst ever reason to change brake orientation.

But it does prove that habits can be changed. Glad you made it work.

I race motorbikes and bicycles and never understood why some bikers think it's cool to have you brakes the wrong way around on their bicycles...

What if I want to sit on a lever to operate my rear brake?

There is NO 'Wrong' way

An American's point of view on the matter (if it matter  :whistling: ):

On MTB though side of the road shouldn't be important because you belong off-road ...  :D

Edited by Theog

Aaron Gwin runs his rear brake lever on the right even though he did motocross - he says it's from his BMX days. I'm used to the rear brake lever on the left, changing would be difficult. It's personal preference though.

hahaha I was just reacting to the initial post saying that's the way it should be and no other, obviously everyone does how they want ;)

Personnaly I don't really care, one day my right lever popped on the MTB and I had to plug my rear brake to my left lever and ride without front brakes, it was absolutely fine except the rear brake was overheating a bit. Same as on the motorbikes where I get used to changing from normal gearbox to inverted gearbox.

Edited by Jbr

Maybe the brake is the wrong way around on motorbikes because thats where they had to be by default? Lol

I think it went down like this:

The front brake is on the throttle hand for a reason...the throttle is on right side. I think it it has more to do with motorskills, feel, precision and being designed by default over the decades for right handed people.

Most people have the most control in their right hand...great-put the throttle there. Ok so now the throttle is there..so we need to put the clutch on the other side because how the hell are jou going to twist your wrist and modulate a clutch on one hand at the same time?.

Ok done. That means front brake then goes on the throttle hand - but hey look!...happy accident is that it means you probably cant grab a fist full of front brake and fo a mark Marques washout while cranking the throttle wide open....so less chances of a silly accident.

The rear brake is also something you don't want to over use by accident we scheme right guys?....so maybe on the right foot with the most modulation for most people is best...but then it also works best there by default because we have the gear lever on the left “dumb foot” on the other side? As well as the chain and everything else. So yes. Nice..it all fits. Good..build it.”

Obviously this didn't happen exactly like this but you get the idea.

Bicycles don’t have most of these constraints. And you do actually get most brakes sets in versions for either side...go shop on some international stores.

The Americans and Europe like their rear brakes on bicycles on different ends. The americans also still count in fractions so and speak American supposedly...so the are oddballs for sure.

We just dont get those versions here. And you obviously wont have a choice on a OEM cookie cutter bike.

Saying the front brake on the right is wrong is like saying driving on the other side of the road in other countries, and subsequently having everything flipped around inside the car - is wrong.

It isn't, its just different.

...and please, right hand, front brake.

Left hand is for clutch or rear brake only

Thankfully the hose can be cut and fitted to either left or right lever based on your choice, so there is freedom without compromise. Coming off a road bicycle, right is rear (brake and shift), left is front (shift and brake).

I love how, out of ALL the weird 'standards' and proprietary parts and tools, the 'brake side conundrum' dominates the thread and actually has nothing to do with 'bike standards' in the context of having to buy tools/new parts/brand specific spokes and nipples etc at exorbitant prices.

Brake sides can be swapped in all of 10 minutes using a hammer, a G-clamp, a shifting spanner and some syringes. All of which a regular home mechanic/fiddler should have.

I've been using the same 'universal' bleed kit for 7 years. It has not been an 'evolving' standard as per the context.

We are a weird bunch

One standard that has me up against a wall is the weird GIANT OD road steerer diameter. I need a 110mm stem for my Egg plant baby but can only order one specially through a GIANT concept store at unimaginable cost. 

It is somewhat annoying. Although at the time of purchase I did say, this is going to bite me in the butt but it's so pretty..... 

Edited by Jewbacca

Thankfully the hose can be cut and fitted to either left or right lever based on your choice, so there is freedom without compromise. Coming off a road bicycle, right is rear (brake and shift), left is front (shift and brake).

Most brake hoses don't even have to be cut anymore

Many can just unscrew the olive and swap around the hoses, and depending on the lever you might be able to just burp out the bubble swapping creates

Most brake hoses don't even have to be cut anymore

Many can just unscrew the olive and swap around the hoses, and depending on the lever you might be able to just burp out the bubble swapping creates

Sram brake levers (like the Guide / Level, etc.) can just be flipped over, so you don't even need to disconnect any hoses. Quick and easy to swap them around.

Edited by MrJacques