Prince Albert Cycles - A big (Huge) heads up

Sepia

Whilst in Prince Albert, I got caught with a puncture which would not seal and popped into Prince Albert Cycles for advice and Arno just fixed the tyre immediately and gave me a cup of very decent coffee. He also offered, without hesitation, to keep my car while on the road. (Thanks again)  Needles to say, I came unstuck properly after 100k's plus of my 400km planned ride and had no option but to call it.  I had a headwind ALL THE way and used 2nd and 3rd gear only so I was really in survival mode.

Against my inner will, I gave Arno a call and requested assistance.  He had a meeting later in the afternoon but again without hesitation immediately said, Stay put, I am on my. way."  He saved my bacon.

A humbler, kinder person I have never met before.  He has done some huge rides both local and international and does not part with any info unless pressed.  It was a great pleasure meeting him and finding out about all the repairs he does for charity and the characters who reside in the town.  A truly noble man in PA  and if in that area, pop in and have the best coffee PA has to offer (really!!)..........and the stories he can tell you!

A humble soul and I thank you, my learned friend.

So, if any of you guys become unstuck in this neck of the woods, contact me, I would love to Pay it Forward.

Edited by Sepia

Yes, Arno is a true gentleman.

And his work in the community is an example to follow.  He also invests in training young locals to fix bikes.

This is a gent who has his retirement date well in his rearview mirror, not that he looks a day over 60.  He arranges some top class rides !!  Obviously he does rides in the Prince Albert area, but he also has a client base joining him for flower rides along the West Coast.

As Sepia says, Arno is one of thee most humble people I have met in my life. 

For those that know Arno from his shop "in" the dorp, he has relocated to a very nice place at the "bottom" of the dorp.  Nice "complex", opposite the golf course.

PS - every so often there are threads about donating cycling stuff, from clothing to old parts.  If you head past that way, please consider giving it to Arno.  One sure way to make sure your stuff gets a second live.  :thumbup:

PPS - Arno sometimes takes a few days to respond to messages .... when he does reply, you hear of his latest tour.  :clap:   What a way to retire  :thumbup:

One last comment - In the middle of the dorp, left side as you drive up, stop at the Information office.  They have a NICE poster of the area, things to do and see, AND the cycling routes are clearly marked with bicycles on the poster.  Free, gratis and verniet ...

Edited by ChrisF

Does anyone have an address for him.  Would like to ship some donations down to him.

My last batch I sent to him using the Post Net in Oudtshoorn if I remember correctly.

He drove to go and fetch it and sent me photos of the helmet being used in the workshop by one of the beneficiaries. Safety first!

Edited by NicoR

• 2 weeks later...

My local shop, all the above posts actually underestimate just how much he does.

True champion. Will most certainly get his rewards in heaven one day.

Good friend, good person, good mentor.

Howard Mollison

• 9 months later...

@Prince Albert Cycles

Heads up that a bunch of cape boytjies are heading your way this week. doing a bike packing loop from calitzdorp and we should be in your store sometime friday morning, depending on how long that hill from the south takes us.

Hopefully with smiles and no major issues, but in case we're in a spot of mechanical trouble i think you're the only safe harbour for bike fixing so sending some good karma upfront.

Steve

5 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

@Prince Albert Cycles

Heads up that a bunch of cape boytjies are heading your way this week. doing a bike packing loop from calitzdorp and we should be in your store sometime friday morning, depending on how long that hill from the south takes us.

Hopefully with smiles and no major issues, but in case we're in a spot of mechanical trouble i think you're the only safe harbour for bike fixing so sending some good karma upfront.

Steve

Enjoy the Groenfontein/Kruisrivier back roads on your way to the majestic hill!!!

25 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

@Prince Albert Cycles

Steve

Just check in with Arno, he is no longer "at the bottom" of Prince Albert.  Whole "complex" where he was closed down.

He is now in a white house half way up, same side as the hotel.