Jonkershoek fire 2021

Zawillow

Thanks for the info. It must be quite something when that thing gets swaying in the wind. Proper skills these pilots.

Heavier loads tend to be more stable, but when an oscillation sets in it can be quite a handful. When it comes to wind, you fly on airspeed and try keep that constant. Wind just changes your speed relative to the ground when you using that as a reference, you will still try keep a constant airspeed.

Turbulence caused by terrain and obstacles is the bigger issue, resulting in updraught and down draughts as well as local changes in wind direction. Experience teaches you to read the terrain and know where to expect turbulence.

Sling rating was one of the more fun ratings I did. Working on the winch rating now.

Edited by Alouette3

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The helicopter in the pics is the Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk. Mark Jackson and his company Leading Edge Aviation is contracted by Working on Fire to assist in the Western Cape during fire season (other part of the year they are at home base in Nelspruit). They are using the Black Hawk (appropriately also known as the Fire Hawk) as well as Hueys (Bell UH-1).

So, no the helicopter did not come from the American boats.

The Jackson brothers are legends, met them at a wedding a few years back.  

Heavier loads tend to be more stable, but when an oscillation sets in it can be quite a handful. When it comes to wind, you fly on airspeed and try keep that constant. Wind just changes your speed relative to the ground when you using that as a reference, you will still try keep a constant airspeed.

Turbulence caused by terrain and obstacles is the bigger issue, resulting in updraught and down draughts as well as local changes in wind direction. Experience teaches you to read the terrain and know where to expect turbulence.

Sling rating was one of the more fun ratings I did. Working on the winch rating now.

Does the nature of the load play a role?

When we transport liquids, the ullage (space between water level and top of tank) adds an added dynamic load that needs to be compensated for when driving. Solid loads are lekker, they stay put.

Now add a swinging, liquid load and I think the pilot's workload goes up considerably?

Edited by PhilipV

Does the nature of the lid play a role?

When we transport liquids, the ullage (space between water level and top of tank) adds an added dynamic load that needs to be compensated for when driving. Solid loads are lekker, they stay put.

Now add a swinging, liquid load and I think the pilot's workload goes up considerably?

Heli's can only do "positive G" (unless you stuff up ) .. so water don't slosh as only see "gravity" in same direction.  so either centrifugal force in a turn or gravity from earth

ok, now that is a  really *** explination , but in summary water might slosh at pickup, but after that it should all go to the bottom and stay there.  (I think,)

Edited by Karman de Lange

Heli's can only do "positive G" (unless you stuff up ) .. so water don't slosh as only see "gravity" in same direction. so either centrifugal force in a turn or gravity from earth

ok, now that is a really *** explination , but in summary water might slosh at pickup, but after that it should all go to the bottom and stay there. (I think,)

But it may go side to side with directional changes, and the bag is flexible as well.

But it may go side to side with directional changes, and the bag is flexible as well.

its like the water in bucket you spin around.   the pulling force is always above the water, (rope/hook)  so will always "see positive G in single direction".   unless you cut the rope or fly into a mountain.

Normal heli cannot do negative G without major @#$@ happening, so you always have tension on the line.

sorry, not able to explain properly...   might have to go google something

its like the water in bucket you spin around.   the pulling force is always above the water, (rope/hook)  so will always "see positive G in single direction".   unless you cut the rope or fly into a mountain.

Normal heli cannot do negative G without major @#$@ happening, so you always have tension on the line.

sorry, not able to explain properly...   might have to go google something

Have to add to this .. you might be able to swing the bucket if you roll side to side, but you will still always have a "pull" on the bucket which keeps the "top" at the "top". (like pendulum).

You can of course pendulum it to much if you really try , but this is out of normal operation 

(i'm also happy to be corrected, but this is my basic understanding)

There was a pretty severe fire in Jonkershoek in 2015 too unfortunately.  Well I'm pretty sure it was 2015. I live here and should know. All I can remember is that it was "a few years back" and it was pretty damn bad. This last one was a bit worse though. Definitely no earlier than 2015. 

Tokai burned in March 2015 and JH a few weeks or days after that.

In fact we almost had a repeat at Tokai on Tuesday this week. There was a massive response from the local fire fighting teams and almost no wind or it could have been inferno 2 for Tokai. There is tons of cut alien veg everywhere.

Seems the cold front is loosing some steam ....

Bellville rain prediction has gone down from 60mm to 23mm ...

HOPING the Jonkershoek trails are spared heavy rains, for now .... hope the ground cover can repair before the heavy rains come ...