Jonkershoek fire 2021

Zawillow

Such a pity - JH was starting to look so good - fynbos and fresh plantation pines. I haven't ridden there since the DH Nationals in Feb 2020 and will have to wait for a long while more to do so again I suspect...

Ditto, last time I was there was in Feb last year over my wife's birthday weekend :(

on the flip side, I have an additional incentive to join tygerberg MTB

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is sick.... It means MTO might still be on board.

That would be a huge boost.

If they manage to clear up the trails and get then rideable in the next month, at least they have winter and some ensuing wet to bed.

It would be seriously hot and unforgiving riding there with no shade to hide under!

Perhaps in a safe manner and with guidance we should all give them a hand?

If 50 of us arrived for a weekend with our picks and spades and just gave it horns, we could probably get a few trails back in working order.

There is a gentle rain falling now. Not sure what the mountains hold.

Am waiting for one of the guys I know in a fire team to respond.

Edit: whoops, it's old news on the 'gram already

Like a scene from a dystopian sci-fi film  :(

Edited by Fisan

From Spaz FB:

At Specialized Bicycles, we love trails, we live trails, we all like to ride. It is very sad to see our local trail mecca, Jonkershoek, decimated due to the recent fires. We would like to thank all the firefighters and the many volunteers who fought this wild blaze over the past few days.

Specialized have been financially committed to supporting trail builders and our trail networks for over a decade. Now in this time of need @specializedstellenbosch will contribute ZAR 200,000 to Jonkershoek's trails via retail sales at the store. Simply go to the store, purchase absolutely anything from a water bottle onwards, state that your purchase goes towards trail development and Specialized Stellenbosch will give the proceeds directly to the rehabilitation of Jonkershoek's trails. It's that simple!

Our Managing Director @bobby_behan has been volunteering on Jonkershoek's trails since 2009, working closely with trail builder Bennet Nel @ace_of_spades_trails and his team, as-well-as the @realmtogroup. This has been a labour of love for him. In his personal capacity, Bobby will support a further ZAR 100,000 in retail sales to be put towards Jonkershoek’s revival. Once again follow the same simple steps at the Specialized Stellenbosch Store.

"A fire in 2009 which also decimated Jonkershoek sparked my interest and ever since I have been giving back to the trails. My family, friends and colleagues at Specialized get so much joy from Jonkershoek, this is a hub for our amazing community, a place to escape the hustle and bustle of life and find peace in nature. For me it’s hard to put a value on descending my favourite trail Armageddon as the sun rises over this magnificent valley. In fact it’s priceless! Both on a personal level and as a brand at Specialized we have been contributing to local trails for many years and will continue to do so. In fact these recent events make us even more determined in our collective efforts”. - Bobby Behan

The damage to Jonkershoek's Trails is widespread. Every trail requires work. Only a few very small pieces of trail escaped the fire. At the moment we are accessing the damage. Working closely with MTO and Bennet Nel, the plan is to start repairing the trails immediately. Stay tuned to follow the rehabilitation efforts.

From Spaz FB:

At Specialized Bicycles, we love trails, we live trails, we all like to ride. It is very sad to see our local trail mecca, Jonkershoek, decimated due to the recent fires. We would like to thank all the firefighters and the many volunteers who fought this wild blaze over the past few days.

Specialized have been financially committed to supporting trail builders and our trail networks for over a decade. Now in this time of need @specializedstellenbosch will contribute ZAR 200,000 to Jonkershoek's trails via retail sales at the store. Simply go to the store, purchase absolutely anything from a water bottle onwards, state that your purchase goes towards trail development and Specialized Stellenbosch will give the proceeds directly to the rehabilitation of Jonkershoek's trails. It's that simple!

Our Managing Director @bobby_behan has been volunteering on Jonkershoek's trails since 2009, working closely with trail builder Bennet Nel @ace_of_spades_trails and his team, as-well-as the @realmtogroup. This has been a labour of love for him. In his personal capacity, Bobby will support a further ZAR 100,000 in retail sales to be put towards Jonkershoek’s revival. Once again follow the same simple steps at the Specialized Stellenbosch Store.

"A fire in 2009 which also decimated Jonkershoek sparked my interest and ever since I have been giving back to the trails. My family, friends and colleagues at Specialized get so much joy from Jonkershoek, this is a hub for our amazing community, a place to escape the hustle and bustle of life and find peace in nature. For me it’s hard to put a value on descending my favourite trail Armageddon as the sun rises over this magnificent valley. In fact it’s priceless! Both on a personal level and as a brand at Specialized we have been contributing to local trails for many years and will continue to do so. In fact these recent events make us even more determined in our collective efforts”. - Bobby Behan

The damage to Jonkershoek's Trails is widespread. Every trail requires work. Only a few very small pieces of trail escaped the fire. At the moment we are accessing the damage. Working closely with MTO and Bennet Nel, the plan is to start repairing the trails immediately. Stay tuned to follow the rehabilitation efforts.

Awesome! Definitely insentive to go buy some mew tyres or clothing there. Thanks Spez Stellenbosch!

From Spaz FB:

That is awesome, how can people that cant go to the store support this?

From Spaz FB:

can someone explain to me why they don't just donate the money - like they have in the past (and for that I am grateful)? 

It just sounds like they are doing the KFC thing of adding a rand to your R20 meal and then saying that they are giving to charity, when they made R8 profit on the meal in the first place (just my thumbsuck figures, but you get the gist).

Just seems like they are trying to boost sales to their shop on the back of a disaster, uh mean multiple single  transaction R200k+ purchases gets run through their credit card machine whenever a news SWorks is launched.

I am more than happy to be wrong here.

can someone explain to me why they don't just donate the money - like they have in the past (and for that I am grateful)?

It just sounds like they are doing the KFC thing of adding a rand to your R20 meal and then saying that they are giving to charity, when they made R8 profit on the meal in the first place (just my thumbsuck figures, but you get the gist).

Just seems like they are trying to boost sales to their shop on the back of a disaster, uh mean multiple single transaction R200k+ purchases gets run through their credit card machine whenever a news SWorks is launched.

Before we break this down - its an amazing initiative anyway...

But they're basically subsidising the donation. Margins probably around 40-60%, so in donating 300k they're still donating a proper whack. And if you can give something back to people and get more people to have some S equipment, it's a win allround....

Just seems like they are trying to boost sales to their shop on the back of a disaster, uh mean multiple single  transaction R200k+ purchases gets run through their credit card machine whenever a news SWorks is launched.

Although there is obvious value for any bicycle brand to promote and fund trail building, it becomes easier if you can offset some of that expense by increasing your revenue. Seems only fair.

I think it's a great gesture. Other brands should also get on board, as it benefits everyone. 

The donation is the cost price of the goods sold and the opportunity cost of the profit. Very generous and nothing like tagging R1 onto a meal. Not that what KFC does is so unbelievably shameful, it's much better than doing nothing and they probably raise lots of money.

Hey, the money has to come from somewhere. Giving up their profits on products sold so that they can raise funds for good cause is a fantastic thing to do. Nothing wrong with growing your business an building on your brand name at the same time.

Edit: (This actually makes me quite proud to be on one of their bikes)

Edited by Rock Guy

I stand to be corrected here - But they way i read it, is that your full spend will donated twoards the 200K not just a %