Poor climber to beast climber - how to do it in 3 months?

BigDL

How is your endurance at the moment?

A combination of long rides on the weekends and add lots of climbing in your training schedule will help. As you get fitter put long climbs at 2hrs on your long rides so you get use to riding tired. Joe Friel has a great book on training for stage racing.

Not sure if you're familiar with it. The relevance, that climbing a lot will add a lot of fatigue while you're trying to get fit.

Read up about his "crash training". It sounds intense but the essence is you plan your weeks training within a couple of blocks so that you slowly drain the energy in a meaningful way so you end your week off with culminated fatigue. That's followed by a rest day or recovery rides before you start turning on the fatigue again. Depending on your fitness you can do two or three weeks of these "build" weeks before taking a recovery week, which still includes rides but allows your body to recover. Your body then supercompensates by "over recovery" This is also called peaking.

It's easy to just go out without focus and go hard every day without a cause. But building your weak with a plan..intervals then easier days then climbing then easy then longer then longest etc. Then build those weeks into a block with recovery weeks inbetween and adjust as you get stronger. Im sorry you might be well familiar with this kind of training but it's so crucial (and fascinating)that I just put it out there. It will help way more than just climbing a lot. PM me if you're not familiar with it and I'll send you some info or help set up a plan.(this fatigue will also aid weight loss)

Good luck!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take the gears off your bike.

Stomping a SS bike up hills that you used to spin up in granny gears makes you realize real fast that you aren't made of glass and that a lot of it is just being mentally prepared to go up a hill at certain speed in a certain gear.

Your legs learn to take that burn real fast.

Edited by MORNE

Intervals...3 x per week.

End of story.

It makes you stronger big time

On a road bike eats it like a mielie

This!

"Good" intervals as part of a proper training plan will make the biggest difference IMHO

But your intervals have to be on target. Be careful of doing "junk" workouts where you add fatigue to your legs without actually building strength or fitness. Using Zwift (or similar) and a smart trainer can help with this cos it makes sure you do your target watts. So if you aim for 5 x 5 minute intervals at say 300 watts, and then you find yourself only being able to hold below threshold power, it's better to abort the workout so you can do a proper session the next day rather than adding fatigue to your legs without real benefit

Oh and if you don't already have one, I'd say a power meter is a must. Training by heart rate isn't nearly as effective as power. 

The Americans say that in automotive performance there is no substitute for cubic inches.

In climbing on a bicycle, there's no substitute for (lack of) kilograms.

As a vetgat who periodically sheds the weight myself, I can testify to that.

Training is obviously important as is peaking at the right time, but nothing can benefit you more than having less to carry up the hill.

Change your diet and watch what you eat. Drop the weight and add some serious core work to your workouts. Then... climb ad much as you can. Intervals on a flat road won't help you. You need to learn how you enjoy riding in the climbing position.

We have member that became beast climber by losing weight. The problem is that he now lacks the explosive power on the flats when us bigger lads put the hammer down. It is important to lose weight when you want to go faster but remember to stay within you BMI.

I feel like the solution for this is incorporating squats and other weight training in your weight loss program. Not that I use myself as the gold standard for anything, but I have lost over 35kg and actually feel that I have more power now!

Also just echoing what everyone has said already, the weight loss made a huge difference and intervals made me fit fast! The metabolic benefits of intervals (and weight training) also can't be overstated.

Edited by Sitting@89

I have a 5 day MTB stage race/ride in Italy in either May/June or at the end of August (covid dependent). Routes were published last night and are worse than I (ignorantly) anticipated.

The long and the short of it is that the 5 days total distance is 227 km (doesn't sound like a lot) with total climbing of 8,850 m (sounds like a *** load to me at least), with the toughest day being 2750 metres climb in a 55km stage. There are lots of incredibly steep climbs on the route, as you can imagine.

Anyway, I am very much a Diesel engine type rider, without a huge amount of climbing endurance. At 104 kg's and 193 cm, I am at best a grinder up hills and have never really sought them out just for fun.

So, I am looking for advice on the best way to quickly get stronger on hills without completely destroying myself through stupidity. I have searched the forum but can't really find any threads since 2013, so am hoping for some nuggets. Is there a specific training plan you could recommend? Should I be doing any programs on Zwift/TR etc? My instinct is to just go and ride hills a lot, but not sure if this is correct.

Currently riding a Giant Anthem X 29'er (2014 model but with a 2016 frame). Should I be looking to make it lighter by upgrading components etc? Should I stick a bigger cassette on the back (currently standard 2x10)?

I am already in the process of losing weight and have decided to accelerate this process from today. Aiming for 89kg's which should help somewhat.

Any advice will be appreciated and paid for in beers at the next bikehub international get-together.

78ffe605576dffa802cd9530e3cf7218.jpg

You don’t mention your current level of fitness, so it’s difficult to see how you would benefit with this advise or that advise.

My suggestion would be completely different:

1. Do gym work for strength - 2-3 days per week;

2. Ride your bike for base training;

3. Lose weight.

As one person has already stated, you can do plenty workouts on Zwift and build fatigue at the same time. By doing the three above, you will lose weight and build strength at the same time without increased your fatigue. Keep your rides in zones 1 (recovery), 2 (endurance) and 3 (tempo) and ride for as long as your longest stage will take. This way you build fitness.

I have a 5 day MTB stage race/ride in Italy in either May/June or at the end of August (covid dependent). Routes were published last night and are worse than I (ignorantly) anticipated.

The long and the short of it is that the 5 days total distance is 227 km (doesn't sound like a lot) with total climbing of 8,850 m (sounds like a *** load to me at least), with the toughest day being 2750 metres climb in a 55km stage. There are lots of incredibly steep climbs on the route, as you can imagine.

Anyway, I am very much a Diesel engine type rider, without a huge amount of climbing endurance. At 104 kg's and 193 cm, I am at best a grinder up hills and have never really sought them out just for fun.

So, I am looking for advice on the best way to quickly get stronger on hills without completely destroying myself through stupidity. I have searched the forum but can't really find any threads since 2013, so am hoping for some nuggets. Is there a specific training plan you could recommend? Should I be doing any programs on Zwift/TR etc? My instinct is to just go and ride hills a lot, but not sure if this is correct.

Currently riding a Giant Anthem X 29'er (2014 model but with a 2016 frame). Should I be looking to make it lighter by upgrading components etc? Should I stick a bigger cassette on the back (currently standard 2x10)?

I am already in the process of losing weight and have decided to accelerate this process from today. Aiming for 89kg's which should help somewhat.

Any advice will be appreciated and paid for in beers at the next bikehub international get-together.

imho, dropping the weight while maintaining your exercise/fitness will give the most benefit.  I'm in the same boat at 108kg and 1.87m.

To drag that fat arse uphill is the source of the problem  :whistling: .  I'm, also in the process to drop to something like 85kg.  Been there in the past and it make a moerse difference.

To put it in perspective, in MTB terms it is about two (extra) bikes weight that you take with you on the climb.

Edited by TheoG

or just get an e-bike and vreet as many burgers and chase them with as many beers as you want...

My 2 cents. Weight loss and strength work aside, which I would focus on, I reckon a consistent approach to riding hills in a structured kind of way can only bear fruit in the long term. It seems logical to conclude that training in a environment that matches the type of environment the race would be ridden in (as close as possible) would be best. And then consistently work your way up to achieving the type of altitude gain in the given stage distances per ride would likely get you race ready.

Just be wary of overdoing it and not taking rest periods for recovery.

Where is Vanzweelism when you need him!?!

Intervals...3 x per week.

End of story.

It makes you stronger big time

On a road bike eats it like a mielie

To add to this, try to get your HR or power zones and train within the correct zones.

Otherwise find a decent hill taking +- 10min near to you that's not too steep, set a time at +- 70% RPE and repeat until you can't hit your time anymore.

Everyone adapts to stimuli differently, but in general gym or intervals would be your best bet.

Edit - If you do gym, read up on the reps. I can't remember the exact amounts, but different repetitions at % of max weight will yield different results. Ideally you should be looking at strength and muscle endurance, not hypertrophy.

Edited by Jurgens Smit

Very simple! Just do what I did when I started training for a major Granfondo in Austria:

I lost 11kg from 93 kg down to 82kg.

Lots of climbing training.

Change to energy efficient diet.

Adopt regular indoor 3 - 4 a week with endurance and interval training programs.

Lots of climbing training .

If possible, change to power meter based training to accurately assess your training progress.

If possible, get a performance coach to assist you with the training analysis.

Make sure your gearing is suited to the planned climbs.

And finally, lots more climbing training.

Basically, the general consensus is that there is no substitute for hard work, consistency and discipline.

All of the suggestions involve the above, however you paint it.

Good luck. A good mantra to go by would be 'you race as well as you train'.

There is unfortunately no magic formula to being a good climber other than power/weight, a good ticker and a solid base fitness.

Concentrate on developing that and a suggestion would be to implement what you can into a lifestyle, not just a #sheddingforthewedding scenario.

If you start now, build for the race and maintain the ethic (to a point) you won't ever need to crash course diet/train again. You can just pick up your bike and ride when/how/where you like knowing you have the basics dialled.

That is my 2c.

But, my wife, my child and my animals don't listen to me, so I don't expect you to either! hahaha