what is the best helmet to get?

Kate1

1 minute ago, Kate1 said:

what is the best helmet to get if you fall and break your helmet?

If you plan on falling and breaking your helmet often, Giro and Scott have some decent MIPs options. If you have fallen and broken your helmet, but don’t think you will be doing it again anytime soon, perhaps invest in a nice aero helmet if you are a road rider, I have one listed in the classifieds ;) 

If budget allows, definitely mips or wavecell

I had a nasty crash not too long ago, landed on my head, completely fine, I have a mips helmet

My dad had a crash not too long after, landed on his shoulder and got a concussion, non mips helmet

Not exactly completely scientific, but my experience

Get one that fits your noggin and your budget. All helmets sold must adhere to a minimum safety requirement, the higher it goes, more tech goes into it to make it lighter, and perhaps more "safe". Depends on your level of riding, terrain ect, go for what suits you, if you have the budget, go for mid-higher level, otherwise if you just started out with cycling, get a "dop" that fits you properly, and focus on enjoying the ride, safety will follow suit. 

Fit and comfort with MIPS, go from there. Some brands hold better after sales support than others with some form of crash replacement percentage. Bell, Giro, Specialized, Lazer, Titan, Abus, Bontrager are good examples. 

If you fall and break your helmet and you're ok, maybe just get the same helmet again as it seemed to have done its job.

But I have seen a few times on the internet the Specialized Align 2 helmet being mentioned as a really good helmet at a decent price. It's about R1000 and has MIPS. As mentioned above, make sure whatever you get fits well.

Second hand helmets and second hand underwear seem related to me in that both should be avoided at all costs. I dunno, personal preference, but I can't get over the idea that I am being expected to wear a helmet that someone wore on their head and got all sweaty in and put it on my pip...something about that sounds off to me.

I've had Giro and Bell previously. The Giro survived a nasty crash and the Bell died after I slipped in sand and plonked backwards and bumped it on a hidden tree stump. Sure, it protected my head, so job well done, but the lid was toast after that. It split right down the middle. I try not imagine how my skull would have split sans the helmet.

I replaced the Bell with a Leatt trail helmet and that has survived after I went down earlier this year smashing my head laterally into the ground as I slid along the sidewalk. Very careful inspection has revealed no damage. I know I should probably replace it, and I intend to, but I'm saving up for a full-face as I ride more gravity and enduro oriented trails lately and find myself less on the flat and smooth stuff.

10 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Second hand helmets and second hand underwear seem related to me in that both should be avoided at all costs. I dunno, personal preference, but I can't get over the idea that I am being expected to wear a helmet that someone wore on their head and got all sweaty in and put it on my pip...something about that sounds off to me.

wouldn't touch a 2nd hand helmet with a barge pole. Not many shops have a no return policy on helmets because one drop and the polystyrene can be creased or a micro crack in the shell.

On 9/18/2021 at 7:48 PM, porqui said:

The one that fits properly.

Do not get sucked in by the notion that expensive must be better.

Make sure it is approved not sure of the standard acronym.

2nd hand can be dicey but some good deals.

fixed

like shoes and bibs, the best is the one that fits properly.

The shell size must be as close as possible to your head size. If you have a 54cm head don't buy a Large because its on special and the dial adjuster can make the adjustable cradle fit your head. The shell is the part that saves your noggin and if you head slams into that part at high speed its going to hurt.

Do helmets have lifespans? All that UV from long summer rides - that time it got left in the car and was baked in for a whole afternoon - that time it got hung on the handlebars and clattered to the ground --- no visible damage or undue flex in it but it's the kind of thing that one doesn't want to have compromised on the day things go wrong.

Is there testing data from the manufacturers on lifespan / compliance with standards after a period of use?

3 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Do helmets have lifespans? All that UV from long summer rides - that time it got left in the car and was baked in for a whole afternoon - that time it got hung on the handlebars and clattered to the ground --- no visible damage or undue flex in it but it's the kind of thing that one doesn't want to have compromised on the day things go wrong.

Is there testing data from the manufacturers on lifespan / compliance with standards after a period of use?

Well, the Internet is hopeless.

The government testing body in the US, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), recommends replacing a bicycle helmet every five to 10 years. ... And many manufacturers tell you to get rid of your helmet after as little as three years.26 Sep 2018

Whereas the industry says:

Something that could be alarming to cyclists everywhere: bike helmets carry an expiry date with them. ... He explains most manufacturers recommend replacing helmets every three years. Over time the protective foam can become brittle.30 Jul 2010

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/when-to-replace-your-bike-helmet/

Edited by TNT1

I keep a helmet max 5yrs.

I've dropped a few older helmets and they cracked. The cheaper the helmet the longer they last because they have more foam and less channels where material is removed to reduce weight or create internal airflow.